mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOXF rhodes"

Posted on: August 26, 2016 @ 11:52 AM
jozsihome
Total Posts:  94
Joined  11-28-2015

Hi, I’d like to know your opinion of MOX/MOXF rhodes. As a matter of fact, I had a Kurzweil PC3 before MOXF and PC3 is extremely, “hands down” strong in this area. I have a friend who is a piano teacher and professional keyboardist. Ha has an XS8 (beside a Kronos) as a main gear and I sold him a MOX formerly for gigging purposes. In general, MOX is OK for him, but he is sad about rhodes voices. I told him voice generation and sample sources are theoretically the same but he is not convinced. What is more interesting, he somehow were satisfied enough with the “Yamaha EP” sound of MO6 and found all rhodes of MOX and MOXF a bit thinner and softer, not “spiky” enough. After having some tests I tend to agree with him. Even after trying VintageKeysMOX package, that contains some very good patches but still haven’t found one ore more rhodes voices for MOX/MOXF that is aggressive a bit and vivid enough for live performances, with a band. 
What is your experiences and thoughts about the topic?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 26, 2016 @ 04:10 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Some editing of settings might help, in particular Velocity Curve, FEG, and EQ
- it depends what you’re looking for.

You might also find that trying other insert effects can make a difference.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 26, 2016 @ 06:40 PM
Babz
Total Posts:  5
Joined  08-21-2016

I consider myself something of a Rhodes aficionado. I originally learned to play keyboards on a Rhodes 73 suitcase way back in the 70s, and I have tried just about every sampled Rhodes over the years (Scarbee for Kontakt is still one of my favorites), and I found the MOXF Rhodes to be quite decent. Certainly as good as anything I’ve heard from Roland or Korg. I haven’t tried Kurzweil (one of the few I haven’t tried—Kurzweils aren’t cheap!) MOXF Wurlies are quite good too.

My only disclaimer is that I am a relatively new user of the MOXF. I have only been testing it for a little over a week, but the Rhodes was one of the first sounds I tried and I found nothing to complain about. (Of course, I haven’t tried it in a mix, etc. yet.) Depends on what you’re looking for, I guess. I am a mostly percussive type player and tend to look for growl and bark. 

If you’re unhappy with it, there are other options available via the Flash board, e.g., Gospel Musicians Neo Soul (also one I like a lot), or the Chick Corea Mark V Rhodes. The Chick Rhodes tends to have more bite and high end.

Best,
Babz

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 26, 2016 @ 08:26 PM
Babz
Total Posts:  5
Joined  08-21-2016

Also just ran across this company that has several nice sounding Rhodes and other instruments.

The demos sound great!

http://keyboardwaves.com

Best,
Babz

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 27, 2016 @ 04:09 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

The MOX, of course, has no sample memory.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 27, 2016 @ 04:59 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

I had the ES (MO uses the same samples) and now the XF (MOX has the same samples) and never noticed any difference in the Rhodes presets, Vintage 74 being my go-to.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 27, 2016 @ 05:17 PM
jozsihome
Total Posts:  94
Joined  11-28-2015

Thanks your all valuable posts, 5pinDIN, Babz and Metalbullfulton - come back results a bit later.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ 512mb flashboard
Next Topic:

Manual for Vintage Keys ››