mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Controlling ARPs on an XS Rack from an XS8"

Posted on: August 20, 2016 @ 10:16 PM
tonygardner
Total Posts:  39
Joined  08-15-2015

Hello.

Is there a way to control ARPs on an XS Rack Multi via an XS8 keyboard?

At home, I was able to setup five button on my Arturia KeyLab88 to send the correct CC’s for selecting each ARP 1 - 5.

I was just hoping that could be done on the XS8.

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 23, 2016 @ 07:52 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Which Arp Assign Mode are you trying to implement - Increment or Direct?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 23, 2016 @ 05:30 PM
tonygardner
Total Posts:  39
Joined  08-15-2015

Thanks 5pin. My Motif XS Rack is set to Direct. This in itself was a huge revelation for me back then since I wanted an XS8 more than anything, and my Arturia KeyLab88 has plenty of programmable buttons. Of course, now that I have it, I realize that Multi’s are just the beginning of my multi-timbral journey.

Cheers,
Tony G.

BTW, last night I had some fun with changing voices by enabling the Set Voice With ARP option and accepting the default voice “as is”. That way, on Voice #1, ARP 1 can be a sweet guitar arpeggio and ARP2 is some tasty percussion.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 24, 2016 @ 07:58 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
tonygardner - 23 August 2016 05:30 PM

Thanks 5pin. My Motif XS Rack is set to Direct. This in itself was a huge revelation for me back then since I wanted an XS8 more than anything, and my Arturia KeyLab88 has plenty of programmable buttons. Of course, now that I have it, I realize that Multi’s are just the beginning of my multi-timbral journey. [...]

You’re welcome.

As you apparently realize, the XS8 doesn’t have nearly the button programmability of a dedicated controller keyboard.

You could select the Rack’s Arps via the XS8 in a few ways. One would be to use Increment instead of Direct, and set one of the XS8 Assignable Function buttons to the same CC# as the Rack’s Arp 1-5 Ctrl No. The AF button would have to be set to “latch”, not “momentary”, or each press would advance through two of the Arps instead of one. You could also set up a foot switch to the output the CC.

In Direct mode, the Value of the CC determines the Arp selected on the Rack…
Arp 1 - 0~25
Arp 2 - 26~50
Arp 3 - 51~76
Arp 4 - 77~101
Arp 5 - 102~127

An AF button outputs only value 0 or 127. With the button set up as above, operating it would therefore toggle selection of Arp 1 or Arp 5 in Direct mode.

Another possibility, with the XS8 in Voice mode, would be to set either ASSIGN 1 or 2 knob to the matching CC#. The knob could then select Arps 1~5, depending on rotational position. Three Arps could be easily selected - Arp 1 fully counterclockwise, Arp 3 at the center detent, and Arp 5 fully clockwise. Arp 2 would be at around the 10 o’clock position, and Arp 4 at about 2 o’clock. After finding the range of rotation for Arps 2 and 4, you could mark the XS8’s panel (preferably with something easily removed at a later time :-) ) at the center of each of those ranges.

[ Ignore ]