mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Using the MOXF as a controller - Program and Bank Changes with Masters"

Posted on: May 12, 2016 @ 01:03 AM
PatAzz
Total Posts:  57
Joined  01-25-2011

Working my way through things, but I’m stuck again.

For the time being, I’m trying to control my Motif Rack XS with my MOXF8. I have created Master programs and am using the John Melas editors. My plan is to create a MASTER for each song. For now I’m just going to change the Multis in the Rack XS, and later I’m going to recreate those Multis as Song/Mixes in the MOXF and then reassign them under the same Masters.

After a bit of work I’m able to connect the editor (USB) and the Rack XS (MIDI OUT) to the MOXF and play the Rack XS.

However, even with the MSB and LSB (to set it as a multi) plus PC, I can’t get the Rack XS to change patches.

Can someone look at the picture and help me figure out what I’m doing wrong?

Melas editor - Master - External Page

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 12, 2016 @ 09:16 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Good so far…
In the linked image, the MSB/LSB for Multi Bank Select are correct, and the SysEx message shown at the bottom of the screen should turn on sending Bank Select and Program Change via MIDI for the MOXF.

Things to check…
Is the Rack XS receiving on the same channel as the Melas Editor is transmitting (Channel 1)?

Is the Rack XS OS/firmware at least version 1.02 (the most recent is 1.04)?

Are the Rack XS Bank Select Switch and Program Change Switch set on? See page 100 of the Rack XS Owner’s Manual.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 14, 2016 @ 10:49 AM
PatAzz
Joined  01-25-2011
5pinDIN - 12 May 2016 09:16 AM

Good so far…
In the linked image, the MSB/LSB for Multi Bank Select are correct, and the SysEx message shown at the bottom of the screen should turn on sending Bank Select and Program Change via MIDI for the MOXF.

Things to check…
Is the Rack XS receiving on the same channel as the Melas Editor is transmitting (Channel 1)?

Yes it is. And even with the Melas editor disconnected I’m not getting the change to Multi and the specific patch.

Currently have 1.03.03
I’ll update this tonight, but I’m thinking that it’s not going to make a huge difference as the functionality to do this should be in 1.02

Are the Rack XS Bank Select Switch and Program Change Switch set on? See page 100 of the Rack XS Owner’s Manual.

Yes, both are set to On.

Any other ideas?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 14, 2016 @ 01:50 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
PatAzz - 14 May 2016 10:49 AM

Good so far…

Things to check…

Yes it is. And even with the Melas editor disconnected I’m not getting the change to Multi and the specific patch.

Multi Mode can’t be selected via MSB/LSB. 63/68 will allow selection of one of the 128 Multis (PC), and 63/60 will allow selection of one of the 16 Mixing Voices, but only once the Rack XS is already in Multi Mode. That can be done either via the Rack XS front panel, or by sending a SysEx message:
F0 43 10 7F 03 0A 00 01 mm F7
where mm =
00 Voice mode
05 Multi Mode
06 Demo Mode

Such SysEx, etc., is in the Rack XS Data List (http://download.yamaha.com/file/9864).

I’d start by manually selecting Multi Mode at the Rack XS, and see what happens when sending the Bank MSB/LSB and Program number from the Melas software.

Currently have 1.03.03
I’ll update this tonight, but I’m thinking that it’s not going to make a huge difference as the functionality to do this should be in 1.02

Yes, that’s why I asked if the firmware was “at least version 1.02”.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 24, 2016 @ 12:47 PM
PatAzz
Joined  01-25-2011

Spent some time troubleshooting this weekend, and the MOXF is not sending out any program change information when I change any programs in any mode (voice, master, song, pattern, mixing).

I’ll investigate further this week and hopefully find a solution before the weekend. If I don’t, I have to increment the programs on the Motif Rack XS manually (not a big deal as I have everything in order already), but not ideal.

If anyone has any ideas about what could be causing this, it would be great to hear it (and save me time).

Pat

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 24, 2016 @ 11:54 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
PatAzz - 24 May 2016 12:47 PM

Spent some time troubleshooting this weekend, and the MOXF is not sending out any program change information when I change any programs in any mode (voice, master, song, pattern, mixing). [...]

See ProgChangeMode on page 142 of the MOXF Reference Manual. See [SF2]SWITCH, PgmChange on page 148.

[ Ignore ]