mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Loading Libraries to the MOTIF XF"

Posted on: March 25, 2016 @ 06:13 AM
ted81
Total Posts:  21
Joined  02-11-2014

Hello dear friends at Motifator, how are you?
I’d like to load a Rhodes library to my MOTIF XF’s flash, and I just wanted to ask: is that going to affect other keyboard’s factory sounds, like electric and/or acoustic pianos, for example?
I’d just like to make sure the presets will still sound the same.
Thanks for your attention and help.

Regards,

T.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 25, 2016 @ 07:46 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Nothing can affect what’s in the Preset banks (PRE 1 ~ PRE 8, PRE DR). When a library is loaded, only Samples/Waveforms go to either (optional) flash module. However, loading an “All” file (.X3A) can overwrite Voices, Performances, etc., in the XF’s User memory.

In the XF, when new or after a factory reset, the only unique Voices are found in USER 1. The other Voice banks have copies of Voices found in the Preset banks.

If you’ve made any changes to your XF since you got it, before loading a new library, be sure to save an “All” file. That way, if anything goes wrong when loading the new library, you can restore your data to the XF.

If you’ve made any Utility mode changes, you can load the new library with TYPE set to “all without system” so those changes will remain.

To avoid overwriting Voices, you might want to load new Voices using Load TYPE “1bank voice”. See pages 243-244 of the XF Reference Manual
(https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/4/323564/motifxf_en_rm_a0.pdf)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 25, 2016 @ 10:32 AM
ted81
Total Posts:  21
Joined  02-11-2014

Hi dear 5pinDIN, I’d like to thank you for your answer.
I find it’s very comprehensive and useful information.
Thanks again.

Best Regards,

Ted

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 28, 2016 @ 09:39 PM
eugenius88
Total Posts:  7
Joined  04-28-2016

Hello Motifators. New XF8 user here.

I have had an XS6 for ages, love it. Got a sweet deal on an XF8 and two 1GB flash boards. I was stoked to think that I could populate these boards with all the XS samples I’d bought from Motifator Shop over the years, but what frustration I am encountering at every turn. If I load an X0A file - for example K-Sounds Virtual C7, it loads up ok but wipes all the USER1 data, turning the XF into an XS.

I want to load both K-Sounds Virtual C7 and Epic Grand, and the waveforms populate FL1 with 22mb to spare, but wipe out all USER1 data. I want to preserve USER1 and have both of these 500mb beauties available somehow. No luck, plenty of frustration. I’ve read all the bad mister posts related to this topic, the manuals have not clarified. Don’t see a way to have both C7 and Epic Grand loaded at the same time. Arrrgh.

Any ideas/advice would be most greatly appreciated!

eug

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 28, 2016 @ 10:11 PM
eugenius88
Joined  04-28-2016

I have had an XS6 for ages, love it. Got a sweet deal on an XF8 and two 1GB flash boards. I was stoked to think that I could populate these boards with all the XS samples I’d bought from Motifator Shop over the years, but what frustration I am encountering at every turn. If I load an X0A file - for example K-Sounds Virtual C7, it loads up ok but wipes all the USER1 data, turning the XF into an XS.

I want to load both K-Sounds Virtual C7 and Epic Grand, and the waveforms populate FL1 with 22mb to sparw, but wipe out all USER1 data. I want to preserve USER1 and have both of these 500mb beauties available somehow. No luck, plenty of frustration. I’ve read all the bad mister posts related to this topic, the manuals have not clarified. Any ideas/advice would be most greatly appreciated!

eug

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 28, 2016 @ 10:12 PM
eugenius88
Joined  04-28-2016

newbie doublepost, sorry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 28, 2016 @ 11:04 PM
eugenius88
Joined  04-28-2016

More effort, zero gain.

It seems to me that XF is essentially an XS with an extra USER bank that wipes out whenever an X0A file is loaded. Why the extra new XF waveforms were not saved to presets in the “redesign” process baffles me. Seems like a cheap’n’cheerful way to call the same old XS instrument an XF simply by adding an extra USER bank and tossing in some new samples. I’ve purchased many GB of sample data for my XS, and so far am unable to go into the “totally compatible” realm that I’d read about.

I thought that saving XS instruments to XF’s flash storage would be intuitive. Maybe it is for most users, but for me it’s not.

Ah well, if I return the two flash boards to the vendor I’ll have a wad of cash, while still being able to link XS6 to XF8 and loading the K-Sounds effortlessly into the former, controlled by the latter. Wish it could all happen in one box, maybe it can… please excuse my tone but I am so so frustrated yet again by what should (to my way of thinking) be a simple process.

A stock XF8… white at that… is still a wicked great instrument, and for my specific long term one man play / show / tribute, I will make it work. White monolith will light up beautifully in the right atmosphere.... as he rambles off dreaming

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 29, 2016 @ 02:09 AM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
eugenius88 - 28 April 2016 09:39 PM

I want to load both K-Sounds Virtual C7 and Epic Grand, and the waveforms populate FL1 with 22mb to spare, but wipe out all USER1 data. I want to preserve USER1 and have both of these 500mb beauties available somehow. No luck, plenty of frustration. I’ve read all the bad mister posts related to this topic, the manuals have not clarified. Don’t see a way to have both C7 and Epic Grand loaded at the same time. Arrrgh.

Any ideas/advice would be most greatly appreciated!

eug

You can LOAD VOICES only to USER BANKS 2, 3, and 4 quite easily.  You just have to tell that to the machine.

To use your example:  When you LOAD the K-Sounds Virtual C7, you can tell it to go to USER 2...or 3, or 4.  What you cannot do is just LOAD an ALL file.  That is why your USER 1 is getting overwritten.

See page 243 of the XF Reference Manual, specifically “Loading a specific Voice or all the Voices of a specific Bank from an “all” or “all voice” file

The instructions that follow this heading refer back to locations shown in the figure on page 237.

It may be helpful to review Bad_Mister’s post in This Thread.

You can definitely LOAD your VOICE Libraries to the XF, leaving your USER BANK 1 intact!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 29, 2016 @ 02:22 AM
eugenius88
Joined  04-28-2016

Hey...thanks for your reply!

Read all that but I will try again tomorrow - thanks for the positive vibes!

I like this place already :)

Love the Motif XS XF complete workstation concept… sad that it’s on the outs with the incoming Montage but if Yamaha gets enough inspiration I’ve no doubt that the workstation can live long and prosper.

I have a new old stock boxed AW2416 with Waves card installed - MIDI that to the XF8 and hardware heaven…

Thanks again c!!!

eug

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Pattern Mixing
Next Topic:

Midi transpose ››