mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "PLG 150VL voice-editing"

Posted on: March 04, 2016 @ 06:26 PM
polke
Total Posts:  80
Joined  08-28-2002

I want to edit voices for plg150VL.
My Mac (mountain lion)does not support this anymore.
So I reinstalled Windows XP on my PC.
I could load the VL Visual Editor and it works.
My question :
The editor starts from scratch : you have to build your own voices and tweak them (I see no connection to the existing libs)
Is there a possibility to load the existing library from PLG and the to tweak them?
Simply said : I have a voice on PLG150VL which is quite good. I want to add some editing on this voice. Can this be done via the VL Editor ?
Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2016 @ 12:18 PM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007

You could save and load PLG voices using PluginAllBulk command in File/Save menu.
You should use the same number of the file (1,2,3) as the number of the slot in ES where you have installed PLG board. VL plugin board has several memory banks where voices are stored:

33/0 is a bank specific to the PLG150-VL
board and contains 128 preset VL physical
models for velocity play

33/1 is a bank specific to the PLG150-VL
board and contains 128 preset VL physical
models setup for breath control play.

33/2* is a bank specific to the PLG150-VL
board. It contains 6 custom locations for actual
new (from scratch) configurations of the real
time physical modeling VL engine. These are
created in the VL Expert Editor or VL Visual
Editor.

33/3 is a bank specific to the PLG150-VL
board and a variety of your favorites (64
locations). It can be receive bulks directly from
VL70-m tone module.

So, in order to have those voices edited in Visual Editor stored to the board, you should
go to Voice mode, select PLG button which corresponds to the
slot to which the VL Plug-in Board has been installed.
Than press the [F2] BANK button to call up the Plug-in Board Bank selection display,
then select the desired Bank (33/2).

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2016 @ 01:18 PM
polke
Joined  08-28-2002

Thanks Alex for your info.

Perhaps I have to explain my configuration :
Motif ES rack with PLG150VL
Motif XS
Cubase Studio 5
MacBook Pro with OSX Lion
PC with windows XP (enables to install old soft)
----------------
I found out that I did not install the voice editor which came with ES.
Perhaps I have to do this first.
Or can I manage the PLG also via the XS editor ?

The PLG150-VL manual refers to “Modular Synthesis Plug-in System"---"XG Plug-in System"---"VL Visual Editor” which is very old and perhaps not supported anymore.

Which is the role of Studio Manager then ????
Regards

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2016 @ 05:19 PM
polke
Joined  08-28-2002

OK, I could load the voice-editor in Mac and Windows XP. The connection must be OK as I can see the libraries from the ES in the editor. For the moment I cannot find any PLG voice in the editor.
I close this item and open a new one with more focussed specs.
Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2016 @ 06:48 PM
nbadesign
Joined  08-20-2007

At first, you could not manage PLG voices using XS editor, since modular plug-in synthesis is not supported by XS. The latest Yamaha synth that support PLG boards is Rack ES.
You should install Studio Manager, Voice and Multi editors for Rack ES and VL Editor.
Studio Manager is used to hold all editors and MIDI configurations. From there you could call voices and when you want to edit them, SM starts corresponding editor. Voice editor for Rack ES could be used for editing PLG voices but only those that exist in Rack memory locations. If you want to go deeper and not to have only board parameters and ES effects modifications, than you should use dedicated board editor. VL in your case. You should check Owner’s manual, page 85, about Plug-in Voice Edit. Also you should read short manual about what it is and how to install Studio Manager.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 07, 2016 @ 08:52 PM
polke
Joined  08-28-2002

Problems !!!
- My Mac version Lion10.7.5 does not support the SM2 version and also not the editors.
- I tried them on an older version of PC (Windows XP SP3). This was successful at first sight: I could see the editors, but no real response to the banks.
- Bad luck :Windows XP does not start-up anymore -"NTLDR is missing” ???? This I have to solve myself. I think something went wrong in XP by switching too many USB ports

May I ask on which computers you make the config ?
Do you use Mac (versions ?) Windows (Versions?). A lot of them are not supported anymore….

Hopeless ????

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 08, 2016 @ 07:11 PM
nbadesign
Joined  08-20-2007

Yes, OS change always requires also hardware changes and we are always in that continuous circle.
I remember that I had a pacer laptop with built in FireWire and only 1Gb RAM. With Win XP it works without issues and setting up mLAN was simple plug-n-play. New DAW versions (I have used Cubase SX at that time) required more RAM and powerful computers. On the other side, new OS versions obviously don’t have music in mind, so we have to struggle with lot of tweaking.
I have finally find a good laptop with stable peripherals including FireWire and max RAM of 16Gb.
I have two hard disks with different OS versions. One (Samsung 256Gb SSD) is dedicated only to music and is with Windows 7 SP1 64bit in order to use all the installed RAM. Cubase 8 Pro runs very fast and stable, without any drops and pops even with only ASIO4All audio driver. I have tried all my “older” stuff like plugins and voice editors for PLG boards (VL, AN and DX). Everything work without any problem.
The other hard disk is 750Gb WD and I’m using it as a data storage when I’m in Win 64bit. During Windows boot, I made both selection to boot SSD disk with a Win 7 64bit or Windows 7 SP1 32bit installed on WD HDD. The main reason why I kept also 32bit Windows is because I still have Motif ES with mLAN card in it and the latest driver could only run on 32bit Win 7, although some people had success also on 64bit version.
The other reason is my Rack XS with FW16 card that could not be setup in mLAN mode, but only in peer to peer with Yamaha Steinberg driver. Since new driver and mLAN could not exist on the same computer, I’m using FW16 on 64bit Windows and mLAN on 32bit Windows. On both I have successful installed PLG editors, but on 64bit Windows I’m using them via USB MIDI, while in 32bit Windows I could use also mLAN for MIDI communications. I will probably keep this settings as much as possible, since I don’t want to sold my ES because I like possibilities and sounds from PLG boards. I’m really disappointed to see that modular synthesis is not supported in new Motif synths, especially since Yamaha tends to “reface” their vintage products.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ PLG presets
Next Topic:

Voice Editor For ES rack : how to load plg150VL voices ? ››