mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Need help connecting MOXF6 as midi controller to pro tools 11"

Posted on: October 04, 2015 @ 05:34 PM
Zoso
Total Posts:  7
Joined  10-04-2015

Im trying to use my MOXF6 as a midi controller in Pro Tools 11 for some Komplete VSTs i.e. absynth, reaktor, etc....here’s the problem I’m having...1st problem is when I try to record a midi performance on an instrument track, the notes do not show up correctly...not on time and instead of short hits the notes show up as long drawn out notes...the only way I can make a beat right now is by using the midi editor window and actually pasting the notes where I want them. This really slows down my workflow which sucks....here’s my 2nd problem...after I make an 8 bar loop with a vst on an instrument track and I move to the next track I cannot play with the new vst sounds via the MOXF while the beat(8 bar loop) is playing...as soon as I press stop the MOXF will play the sounds through the vst again...again I can use the midi editor and the sounds play during playback no problem, so this makes me think it’s something between pro tools and the MOXF. This also slows me way down and kind of limits my creativity because I can’t test sounds or patterns against what I’ve already put down. I have a MPC2500 and until now I’ve made all my beats on that and the MOXF. I always have the 2 connected through midi and have never had problems, I’ve recorded midi events from the MOXF to the mpc, and from the mpc to the MOXF....can someone please help me out...I am using an actual midi cable not USB, and I have mbox pro, and a MacBook pro with Yosemite...recently purchased komplete 10 hoping to increase my workflow and in turn maximize my creativity but this dilemma is doing the exact opposite.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 04, 2015 @ 06:38 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Hi Zoso,

Welcome to Motifator.

Since you are using ‘real’ MIDI cables, your problem is unlikely to be MOXF related.  Complications are much more common when using MIDI over USB and the associated drivers.

What is the exact version of Pro Tools 11 you are using and what is the exact version of Yosemite that you are using?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 04, 2015 @ 07:55 PM
Zoso
Joined  10-04-2015

Thanks for the reply...I’m using pro tools 11.3.1 and Yosemite 10.10.3

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 04, 2015 @ 08:04 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Pro Tools 11.3.1 is only qualified by AVID up to Yosemite 10.10.2

10.10.3 is not yet officially supported and I’m afraid you can expect and will likely find problems.

Here’s a list of qualified operating systems and computers:

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 04, 2015 @ 08:08 PM
Zoso
Joined  10-04-2015

Also with my mbox pro there is no USB port...only has a word clock port and a multi pin connector came with it that has 2 midi cables among other cables...like a splitter...so my only option is an actual midi cable

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 04, 2015 @ 08:15 PM
Zoso
Joined  10-04-2015

Ok so if I could downgrade to 10.10.2 would that fix my issue? Ive never had problems with my setup before but I’ve only been using pro tools to record I’ve never used it as an instrument like fruity loops so this aspect is new to me

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 04, 2015 @ 08:49 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Having never run an operating system newer than my version of Pro Tools is qualifed for, I can’t speculate if a fix will work or not.

You’ve got 4 options and none of them are guaranteed to work.

1 - You can reinstall Yosemite as far as 10.10.2 and hope the problem gets fixed.

2 - Buy Pro Tools 12 which is qualified up to 10.10.4

3 - Hope they fix Pro Tools 11 (doubtful given Pro Tools 12 is out)

4 - Try MIDI over USB direct from the MOXF and hope that works.

USB MIDI from a MOXF plugs directly into the computer’s USB port, not through the MBOX which you can’t do anyway.  They can work happily together, both connected to your Mac, both doing their thing.  MBOX for audio, MOXF for MIDI.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 05, 2015 @ 12:13 AM
Zoso
Joined  10-04-2015

I actually can download pro tools 12, when I purchased pt11 it was a free upgrade...but I never did because I read a lot of forums where a lot of people were unhappy with pt12...but maybe I’ll give it a try, I guess I could always go back to 11 if I don’t like it...as far as the USB midi option...I tried it and my MacBook won’t pick up the keyboard through USB so it’s lookin like pt12 is my only option...thanks for the help

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 05, 2015 @ 03:27 AM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Did you install the driver?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 05, 2015 @ 11:37 PM
Zoso
Joined  10-04-2015

Yeah Im pretty sure I did

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 07, 2015 @ 04:13 AM
Zoso
Joined  10-04-2015

Update...I upgraded to pro tools 12 last night, still no luck so I called avid this morning and basically they just erased and reinstalled the mbox and pro tools software on my computer ...after that everything worked like it was supposed to so I don’t know what was up...they had access to my computer so I was able to show them exactly what it was doing which made troubleshooting so much easier...anyway it’s fixed now and I’ve already started working on a new track...1000 times better

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 07, 2015 @ 06:07 AM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Glad you got it working.

You may find the MOXF works as well now.

[ Ignore ]