mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Switching back to Yamaha. Now or wait?"

Posted on: September 12, 2015 @ 04:53 AM
tdwctdwc
Total Posts:  79
Joined  04-09-2009

Hello all,

I think it’s been 4 years since i posted here hence i no longer own a Motif and bought a Kronos in 2012.

I used to own the classic Motif 7, then switched to Kronos.

The motif was amazing and i have so many memories with it (gigs, an entire album played by it ec..). The Kronos was a fresh change and bought some interesting inspiration to my songwriting as well, specifically the SGX-1 Engine.

But there is something about the Yamaha sound that i miss. Could be the warm mids, i don’t know. All i know is that there’s something i miss.

I’m considering buying a MOXF6 to replace my Kronos 61. I already have an 88 controller so an 88 key is not needed.

I thought about the XF but then after i noticed the benefits in price, weight and DAW integration of the MOXF, i’m seriously tempted.

Should i come back home now? or maybe wait until Yamaha releases the next flagship?

Awesome to post here again and hope all is well !
Regards
http://www.rabihrihana.com

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 13, 2015 @ 06:57 AM
Faldin
Total Posts:  41
Joined  09-10-2015

Rumours say there will be some new “big” instrument called “Montage”, possibly the Motif successor… maybe they will show it at the Winter NAMM?!

So it could make sense to wait for that one. The MOXF, on the other hand, is good value for the money, if you can cope with the “plastic feel” ;-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 13, 2015 @ 02:58 PM
muziksculp
Total Posts:  688
Joined  08-13-2002

Wait

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 13, 2015 @ 06:13 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
tdwctdwc - 12 September 2015 04:53 AM

[...]Should i come back home now? or maybe wait until Yamaha releases the next flagship? [...]

Yes.  ;-)

Your question has been discussed on Motifator literally for years.
I suppose “wait” gains more “weight” as time goes by…

tdwctdwc -

Welcome back! Good luck, no matter what you decide.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 13, 2015 @ 07:41 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

I’m considering buying a MOXF6 to replace my Kronos 61. I already have an 88 controller so an 88 key is not needed.

I thought about the XF but then after i noticed the benefits in price, weight and DAW integration of the MOXF, i’m seriously tempted.

You could always buy either of them used for a lot less than new.

Nobody knows anything about what a new Yamaha holds or when it will be out. Yamaha employees themselves will be under strict non disclosure agreements.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 13, 2015 @ 08:08 PM
pianokim
Total Posts:  810
Joined  02-09-2003

Just play a MoXF6 first - it’s a massively different feeling keyboard action if that sort of thing matters to you. The Kronos is very high quality with some weight and heft to it, the MoXF6 is not. Personally I skipped the MoXF6 for that reason alone. It sounds great - but the keyboard action gets in the way of any technically challenging playing. Even the Motif 6XF has an inferior action to the Kronos.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 14, 2015 @ 12:41 AM
tdwctdwc
Joined  04-09-2009

Thank you everyone for the responses.

Waiting seems to be a good idea for now and honestly i haven’t heard of that mysterious “Montage” until now (!), which makes sense since i haven’t been frequenting here at all.

Let’s hope for amazing things to come out from Yamaha in NAMM. I seriously have a soft spot for the Yamaha sound, could be stupid Nostalgia, could be because of the good memories i had with my Motif, or could be the mysterious signature warm mids i mentioned earlier.

Thanks again.
Regards
http://www.rabihrihana.com

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 14, 2015 @ 12:52 AM
tdwctdwc
Joined  04-09-2009
5pinDIN - 13 September 2015 06:13 PM

[...]Should i come back home now? or maybe wait until Yamaha releases the next flagship? [...]

tdwctdwc -

Welcome back! Good luck, no matter what you decide.

Thank you 5pinDIN !

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 14, 2015 @ 12:53 AM
tdwctdwc
Joined  04-09-2009

Double post sorry.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 02, 2015 @ 10:31 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010