mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Selective octave shifting in mixing mode"

Posted on: August 18, 2015 @ 02:41 AM
samson8884
Total Posts:  39
Joined  09-10-2012

Hi,
I have created a split in SONG mode. Bass for the left hand and Piano for the right. Is there any way (in real time) preferably using the Octave buttons on the panel, by which I could shift the octave for only the Piano (right hand) PART?
I am trying to access a wider range of octaves for the piano while keeping the bass constant. I know there are switches to turn off which controllers a PART responds to (eg AF, AS, Mod Wheel, Pitch Bend) etc. but I could not find any way to prevent a PART from responding to the Octave buttons.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 18, 2015 @ 08:55 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

The Octave and Transpose buttons do the same as settings with identical names accessed via Utility mode. They shift the range of the entire keyboard (and MIDI data that’s sent), and can’t be applied selectively to a particular Part.

However, there might be a way to accomplish what you want. Let’s say the Parts of your current bass/piano split are 1 and 2, and each has Receive Channel set to 1. If you copy those Parts to 3 and 4, and set their Receive Channel to 2, the original or copied split can be selected by numbered buttons [1] or [2]. If you then edit Note Shift of the piano in Part 3, selecting buttons [1] or [2] should cause the piano to shift without affecting the bass. Of course, be sure to STORE any changes you want to keep.

This approach can be used with as many splits as will fit in a Song/Pattern Mixing. The Note Shift can be applied as required, up to a maximum of 24 semitones (2 octaves) up or down.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 19, 2015 @ 12:16 AM
samson8884
Joined  09-10-2012

Thanks for the reply 5pinDIN. I had thought of this approach, but the problem is that I have used up all the song PARTS. All my right hand voices are on parts 1 - 8 and the corresponding splits are on 9 - 16. I was trying to avoid having the same piano voice on 2 PARTS (one with an octave shift of course).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 19, 2015 @ 01:32 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
samson8884 - 19 August 2015 12:16 AM

Thanks for the reply 5pinDIN. I had thought of this approach, but the problem is that I have used up all the song PARTS. All my right hand voices are on parts 1 - 8 and the corresponding splits are on 9 - 16. I was trying to avoid having the same piano voice on 2 PARTS (one with an octave shift of course).

Yes, well, that’s why I said that there “might” be a way.

I was thinking about whether Master mode could offer a solution.
Rather than reinvent the wheel, I did a search and came across this:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/archive/viewthread/286477/
I haven’t tried this on my XS or XF, so I don’t know if it would meet your needs.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 19, 2015 @ 12:15 PM
samson8884
Joined  09-10-2012

Thanks a lot for pointing me in the correct direction. The post you mentioned was very helpful. I used zone 1 for my right hand voice and zone 2 for the left hand voice. I could shift the octave and the transpose for each zone without moving the physical split point (something I was trying to achieve in a previous post). I was also able to re-use the bass voice (on PART 16 in song mode) and combine it with the other right hand PARTs 1 - 15 (again something I was trying to achieve in a previous post). I am still working out a few quirks, but this has been very helpful. Also thanks to Bad_Mister for a detailed explanation on MASTER mode.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 19, 2015 @ 03:06 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
samson8884 - 19 August 2015 12:15 PM

Thanks a lot for pointing me in the correct direction. The post you mentioned was very helpful.[...]

You’re welcome - I’m glad things are progressing. Master mode can be very powerful, but it does take some effort to fully understand it. Hopefully any remaining quirks can be worked out.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Yamaha Steinberg driver won’t install.
Next Topic:

Mox8 midi with vocoder ››