mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Modulation?"

Posted on: August 04, 2015 @ 12:52 PM
FinlayB
Total Posts:  14
Joined  07-15-2015

Well guys, almost a month into owning my XS6 and im coming on in leaps and bounds. What an incredible instrument!...When you get into the ‘Bones’ of the machine it really does come ‘Alive’..!

Okay the XS is an old machine and now outdated i guess..? Yet prices seem to be very good for an 8 year old machine?

My guess is that the XS still has a lot to offer if your willing to learn how to use it correctly..(Current price in the UK is around £700.) I guess that about $1000 USD?

Okay.. ive been programming the hell out of my XS and i’m getting the sounds im after but i have just one issue thats bugging me.!

I cant seem to find a way of increasing the modulation.. ( In any mode) I can alter the PB wheel settings fine, but the MOD wheel?..I just cant see the settings anywhere in the machine and the manual says very little about it.!

Is there a way of adjusting the MOD wheel settings? I dont mean ‘Assign’..I ‘mean Modulation’ only.(Increase/Decrease) ( Hope that makes sence)!

As always..Thanks again guys and any advice much appreciated.

:-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 04, 2015 @ 02:28 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
FinlayB - 04 August 2015 12:52 PM

[...]I cant seem to find a way of increasing the modulation.. ( In any mode) I can alter the PB wheel settings fine, but the MOD wheel?..I just cant see the settings anywhere in the machine and the manual says very little about it.!

Is there a way of adjusting the MOD wheel settings? I dont mean ‘Assign’..I ‘mean Modulation’ only.(Increase/Decrease) ( Hope that makes sence)![...]

See Page 104 of the XS Owner’s Manual, Controller Settings
- in particular, (3) Depth.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2015 @ 01:36 PM
FinlayB
Joined  07-15-2015

Thanks 5pin. It’s nothing to do with ‘Depth’. ! Already tried that approach.

It’s to do with the ‘Range’..Just like PB wheel settings..|But with MOD wheel|

Theres a way of doing it..I know there is..But its hidden in the machine.!

Thanks for your reply.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2015 @ 03:03 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
FinlayB - 05 August 2015 01:36 PM

Thanks 5pin. It’s nothing to do with ‘Depth’. ! Already tried that approach.

It’s to do with the ‘Range’..Just like PB wheel settings..|But with MOD wheel|

Theres a way of doing it..I know there is..But its hidden in the machine.!

Thanks for your reply.

Please choose any Preset Voice in which you’d like the MW to have more “range”, and we’ll see what can be done to accomplish that.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 07, 2015 @ 02:13 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

I was hoping to demonstrate the Depth setting with a specific example, but it seems no choice has been made. Nevertheless, Depth does set the “range”.

From http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/motif_xs_working_with_and_understanding_physical_controllers
· DEPTH The setting here must be set with care and some thought. The range here is –64 ~ 0 ~ +63. How the MOTIF XS responds to a setting will depend on which parameter and which controller is selected. (See below some example assignments). A Depth setting of 0 defeats all other settings in the Controller Set (and renders them meaningless). In general, the higher the number the more it increases the range of control. Negative value settings reverse the effective direction of the controller. You will have to be logical here.

If anyone finds that using Depth doesn’t do what they expect, please post the Voice name and location if it’s a Preset, or provide other information if it’s not, and we can discuss further.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 11, 2015 @ 02:11 PM
FinlayB
Joined  07-15-2015

5pinDIN...Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated.

As before.. when i mentioned THIS VIDEO… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRFC2iUyVdI

The chord (AT THE VERY START OF THE VIDEO) THIS sound is in the machine is it not?..! Y/N?

Its simple really and just a question of the settings used. Im sorry...But it seems like ive asked a billion dollar question...!

All i wanted was help to learn to programme the machine to make (THAT) particular sound with that “chi chi cha” range...(If thats at all possible on the XS?)...My efforts so far after 2 months?...Not bad.. but not the same. I just cant find that range at all in the machine anywhere.!

Thanks again...Im kinda frustrated here..I hope you understand.

As I said before.I think the voices used here are “Chord Master”, “Vertuoso Sequensa” and Im sure he’s using Cosmic Trance.

Cosmic Trance but with more bite on the MOD WHEEL?..!

Thanks again.

P.S. Watching that video...Why @ 2:00 is he pressing buttons that he doesnt need to press?...Was this a spoof video ?..!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 12, 2015 @ 09:00 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

For those following this, the earlier related thread is:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/index.php/viewthread/475626/

In that thread I posted the corrected names, as well as XS and XF locations, for the Voices and Performance being referred to…
Chordmaster Voice is PRE6 G13, Virtuoso Sequencia is PRE6 H13, and Cosmic Trance is factory Performance USER1 C09 (USER2 C09 on the XF)

I don’t currently have access to YouTube videos. However, if the issue is a matter of how the MW affects things, then it’s necessary to understand which Parameters can be adjusted, and where.

Since Cosmic Trance is a Performance, Controller Set Assignments (including Depth) are set per Part (at the Voice level). In addition, some of the Voices used in that Performance have multiple Destinations for the MW.

If you want to experiment with what the MW is doing in Cosmic Trance, I’d suggest that the first step is to SOLO each of the four Parts, and determine which of them you’d like to investigate further. Next find the location of the Voice, select that Voice, and see what the MW assignments are. Then try changing the Depth for each to see if that’s what you’d like to have more “range”.

Anyone having access to YouTube videos, please offer your suggestions.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 15, 2015 @ 10:07 AM
FinlayB
Joined  07-15-2015

5pinDIN. Thank you again for your very informative and very helpful reply. I was thinking along those lines, solo each part and delve into them one by one.

The problem i have is juggling work and ‘Play time’ and also lacking patience on my behalf.

I have all this weekend free to test out your advice and i will report back.

I realise i need to have more patience and give it more time.

I am getting to grips with the machine, i have noticed that when i have a rest from it for a day or two and use it again it becomes easier each time.

Thank you again for you reply and for your time, it’s very much appreciated.
All the best.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Line out level Motif XS
Next Topic:

Moving hip hop clapping sound from D#1 up to C6 ››