mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Sequence memory full - What to do?"

Posted on: July 26, 2015 @ 08:07 PM
jeauxbleaux
Total Posts:  20
Joined  05-25-2015

Hi to all,

I use a Motif XS7 which I dearly love.  I am trying my hand at creating songs for the first time.  I have a number of patterns (about 4 for now, more later) that I wish to convert to songs. When I attempted to convert the first one, however, the process halted with an error message “Sequence memory full.” The user manual explains this error as follows:

“The internal memory for Sequence data is full, preventing any further operation (such as recording, editing, Job execution, MIDI reception/transmission, or loading from the external storage device). Try again after erasing unwanted Song, Pattern, or User Phrase data.”

When I press the INFO button on the Chain Edit screen, it says that I have used 987kB of 1024kB.  I get the same numbers after a restart.  As an experiment I cleared pattern 64 and the quantity used decreased slightly to 979kB.

I would like to understand sequencer memory a lot better before I try anything further.  Accordingly, I have the following questions:

1.  Does the term “memory” in the term “Sequence memory” mean volatile memory, like RAM on a computer, or storage, like a disk or flash drive? 

2.  1024kB is only 1 megabyte, so can it be expanded?  If so, how?

3.  If it cannot be expanded, must I delete songs, patterns or other data to free up more “memory”?  Is that the only way?

4.  How much “memory” must be free to convert a pattern with 11 tracks and 8 sections to a song?

Since there is space for 64 patterns and 64 songs, I would think that there should be some way for a user to actually take advantage of that capacity.

All help appreciated.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 26, 2015 @ 10:38 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
jeauxbleaux - 26 July 2015 08:07 PM

1.  Does the term “memory” in the term “Sequence memory” mean volatile memory, like RAM on a computer, or storage, like a disk or flash drive?

Sequences are stored in the XS in nonvolatile User memory, which is flash ROM. See the Internal Memory section of the XS Owner’s manual, pages 79-80.

jeauxbleaux -

2.  1024kB is only 1 megabyte, so can it be expanded?  If so, how?

There’s no capability for expansion of the internal flash ROM.

jeauxbleaux -

3.  If it cannot be expanded, must I delete songs, patterns or other data to free up more “memory”?  Is that the only way?

Deleting Songs/Patterns is one possible approach. Of course, before doing that you might want to save save an “All”, “All Song”, or “All Pattern” file. Unless you need to have all your sequences loaded simultaneously, that provides a simple way to have lots of sequence storage, and sequences load rapidly.

It may be that you’ve recorded substantial usage of certain controllers, which can easily use considerable amounts of sequencer memory. Sustain, pitch bend, and aftertouch (often triggered unintentionally) are some possibilities. To help determine if there’s excessive control data, see Event List display on pages 193-194 of the Owner’s Manual. You might also take a look at 06: Thin Out on page 202.

Have you deleted the demo Songs and Patterns? They can always be retrieved if wanted.

jeauxbleaux -

4.  How much “memory” must be free to convert a pattern with 11 tracks and 8 sections to a song?

That can vary greatly, depending on how much data is involved.

jeauxbleaux -

Since there is space for 64 patterns and 64 songs, I would think that there should be some way for a user to actually take advantage of that capacity.

Some Songs/Patterns aren’t very long, and with minimal controller data they don’t use much memory.

Since Mixes can be used for performing live, there can be basically no track data in those “sequences”. See http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/using_a_mixing_setup_for_multiple_sounds_live

By the way, this topic has been covered several times previously - here’s one example: http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/446096/

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ OS update for Motif XS??
Next Topic:

1GB Sampling ram. ››