mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "one part out of tune in performance mode"

Posted on: May 21, 2015 @ 09:35 PM
Susilita
Total Posts:  1
Joined  05-21-2015

I typically use our Motif XS in Performance mode. On several occasions now, the voice in part 4 will slide out of tune (1/2 to 1-1/2 steps or so) while I’m playing. I am very careful not to touch the ribbon controller, and I am not making any other adjustments on any settings.

It has happened with different voices in part 4, but I believe it is always the same part.

If I switch to a different performance and then switch back to the original, it is back in tune.

The problem occurs irregularly, so it is difficult to troubleshoot. And of course it usually happens during a band rehearsal or performance.

Any suggestions?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 22, 2015 @ 09:51 AM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

That sounds most unusual. Is it on the same Performance, or on the same Voice in different Performances? Motif doesn’t (can’t) really drift like an old analog synth so it’s most likely an inadvertent setting somewhere.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 22, 2015 @ 12:09 PM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011
Susilita - 21 May 2015 09:35 PM

I typically use our Motif XS in Performance mode. On several occasions now, the voice in part 4 will slide out of tune (1/2 to 1-1/2 steps or so) while I’m playing. I am very careful not to touch the ribbon controller, and I am not making any other adjustments on any settings.

It has happened with different voices in part 4, but I believe it is always the same part.

If I switch to a different performance and then switch back to the original, it is back in tune.

The problem occurs irregularly, so it is difficult to troubleshoot. And of course it usually happens during a band rehearsal or performance.

Any suggestions?

Welcome to Motifator.

Is this Performance a stock Performance that may have been edited or was it created by Initializing a location and creating a new Performance?  Is the part in question a split or layer?  Is there an Arp employed in the Performance? And I know you mentioned not making any other adjustments but are you using the pitch bend wheel?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 22, 2015 @ 03:03 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
stoneb3 - 22 May 2015 12:09 PM

[...] And I know you mentioned not making any other adjustments but are you using the pitch bend wheel?

This brings up a possibility, even if PB isn’t being touched. The control sometimes becomes intermittent. When that happens, random pitch changes can occur. If a particular Part happens to have the PB Range set significantly wider than others, that Part can react more substantially to a problem with the control.

Furthermore, each time a Performance (or Voice, etc.) is selected, the PB position is initially ignored and assumed to be at center. This can easily be demonstrated - select a Voice which uses PB, play a note, turn the wheel to an end, play the note again, and observe the shift. Keep holding the wheel in position, select another Voice and then back to the original one, and the pitch will be “correct”. Releasing the wheel allows return to normal operation.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Motif XS & KARMA!
Next Topic:

Just bought an XS - loyalty samples? ››