mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Edit Didgeridoo on MX61"

Posted on: May 12, 2015 @ 09:56 PM
george.drayton@xtra.co.nz
Total Posts:  41
Joined  08-06-2013

The provided didgeridoo sound (Ethnic 33) is quite realistic but it has this wow, wow,wow “sound” the speed of which doesn’t work well with the tune I an wanting to play.  I have looked with the MX Voice Editor to see if the speed of this effect can be changed but I cannot find anything which works for me.  Can anyone else offer ideas or help please?
Thanks George

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 13, 2015 @ 02:25 AM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

Without being able to locate and check the sound right this moment, it may be the wow wow wow sound is in the sample. In which case you’ll be out of luck I’m afraid. The sound of a didgeridoo (and you would probably know this better than I, coming from the southern hemisphere) does have an intrinsic ‘rhythm’ generated, I believe, thanks to its circular breathing playing requirement. However, if Yamaha programmers created this via an LFO / filter modulation, then you should be able to tweak that fairly simply. LFO speed would be my first port of call.

MM

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 13, 2015 @ 05:54 AM
Joined  08-06-2013

Thanks for the idea.  I previously tried playing with the Common LFO Speed and then the “Speed” in the LFO Tab for the 3 parts, but no change.  The current dominant “wow” speed is maybe 90 per minute. Thanks once again - George

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 13, 2015 @ 09:30 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

I don’t have an MX, but the didgeridoo at PRE8:053(D05) in the Motif XS and XF is likely similar, if not the same. If that’s the case…

What you’re hearing is indeed in the sample(s) (three are used in the XS/XF), plus there’s some interaction between them (beating) because two are layered for the lower notes. The Element LFOs have no effect, since the modulation levels are all set to 0(zero). The Common LFO is a random S/H (Sample and Hold) wave, applied to amplitude modulation at a very low level, and not responsible for anything rhythmic.

The cyclical “wow”, the speed of which increases with note pitch, is typically due to use of looped samples. For some instruments the samples are quite short before the loop point, too short to include variations introduced by circular breathing and other characteristics a live player could control. In order to make the sound less stagnant, you could try turning the RESONANCE control, and perhaps CUTOFF.

I don’t know specifically what editing can be done on the MX. For my XF, I experimented with changing the Common LFO wave to Trapezoid, set the speed to 20, and added P mod destination at a low level to emulate slight changes due breathing.

Since I’m not from OZ or NZ, most of the above is based on comparing what the Motif sounds like in comparison to MP3 recordings found online. The “Medium Concert” and “High Concert” ones here seem good examples:
https://www.didjshop.com/shop1/soundscapescart.html

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 15, 2015 @ 07:54 PM
Joined  08-06-2013

Hello there, thanks for your response and ideas.  Whilst I can reduce the “dominance” of the wow,wow,wow effect with the cutoff control it is still there.  I’m am not sure if the P mod control is the same on the MX - there is a setting call “PitchMod” on the MX voice editor. Changing the three values (they started at 0) doesn’t change much. The rhythmic component seems to come from the Didgeridoo 2 component and reducing it’s level helps a bit. I am now wondering if the rhythmic effect is coming from two notes at different frequencies....although the default settings are with “Coarse” at +13 and Fine Tune at +30 for all three component waves.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 16, 2015 @ 05:30 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Your description of the Pitch settings matches those of the XS/XF Didgeridoo Voice.

The “wow” sound will easily be heard on notes beyond a certain key, especially if played as a sustained drone. It really can’t be eliminated using the built-in samples - I think the best that can be done is to introduce some random aspects, and that’s what I was describing. Controls can either be moved while playing, or MIDI events added later to a sequence.

[ Ignore ]