mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "FLASH worth it?"

Posted on: May 06, 2015 @ 10:47 AM
rickshapiro
Total Posts:  6
Joined  05-16-2008

I just purchased a used MOXF6. Really enjoying it. was not expecting such an improvement over my ES7. I am considering purchasing a flash card, but am kind of on the fence regarding the limited commercial library available today. There is tons of content available for my softsynths. There are hundreds of offerings out there for NI Kontact, Halion and others software samplers.

I do not do much of my own sampling but would like to expand the MOXF6 to cover more sounds. Would love to add more mellotron, synth, drums kits, organs and others.

There are about a dozen offering on Motifator. Ksounds has 6 or so. Am I missing other sources of commercial offerings for the MOXF? There is just not that much.

I know I can buy discrete sample material and assemble it myself with the workstation, but I would like more commercial , ready to play offerings.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 06, 2015 @ 11:42 AM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

It is very difficult for others to decide if buying Flash for your MOXF is worth it to you.

You have a fairly good understanding of the 3rd party sample-based libraries available, with the exception that you did not specifically list those available from Yamaha Here.

You’ll never find a comparable amount of content for the MOXF vs your computer, so that is a non-starter.

Does being able to expand your internal sounds with the new sample-based sounds that are available make it worth it to you?  You’ll need to decide based on your personal criteria.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 06, 2015 @ 01:38 PM
dsetto
Total Posts:  435
Joined  01-24-2014

Rick, I’m curious to hear about your ES vs MOXF observations. As I familiarize myself with Motif land via my XF, I’d find such a comparison informative.

My recommendation would be to get to know the MOXF’s preset waveforms that weren’t in the ES.  I think these can go quite far with various levels of programming depth. Perhaps the XF Editor- or other- can help, here. And wait until you hit the satisfaction walls. … Or, on the other, just dive in. In the deep end, or, the shallow end. 2GB down to 512MB. 512MB sounds like a great way to see what it can do for you.

From the little I have personally used- of 3rd party- plus the demos I’ve heard, and having a good understanding of the programming, but only a small experience with the available preset waveforms—I’d say, at some point or other, the flash memory in your MOXF is going to be desirable—based on the existing 3rd party libraries.

Also know that there are many libraries that exist that do not require additional waveforms. !!! DCP libraries come to mind.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 06, 2015 @ 02:03 PM
rickshapiro
Total Posts:  6
Joined  05-16-2008

Without going too far off the topic, I own an ES Rack and ES7. I had dropped them from my stage line up and delegated them to occasional studio use. They were replaced with a Kurzweil PC3, which in my opinion had some clear advantages. The PC3 Pianos and vintage keys just cut better and felt more playable live. The organs and controls capabilities for the organs were far superior. Just overall the Kurzweil just cut through the mix better. I know that is subjective but it was apparent after using the ES7 live for four years and then switching to the PC3.

That being said, I am just getting too old and lazy to lug around these heavy boards. The main driver for the MOXF6 was actually weight. I was willing to give up some sound quality in return. My PC3 was in the shop (cracked the plastic end-cap at a gig) and the same day I got the MOXF6, I gigged with it. Maybe spent 3 hours getting my show patches together. Well, perhaps it is the 8 elements, better converters, effects, samples, whatever, but I was more than pleased with the MOXF6 throughout the show. My bandmates provided some positive feedback. The PC3 Organ and VA Synth stuff really beats out the MOXF6 but not enough to be missed.

The PC3 is now relegated to the studio and the ES7 and ES Rack will be placed for sale.

I can see the MoXF being my main board for a while.

I do feel I need to treat the MoXF with kid-gloves. It feels way more fragile then any of my other boards.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 08, 2015 @ 12:36 PM
my03
Total Posts:  38
Joined  12-01-2014

Hi,

yes, i believe it’s worth getting flash-ram for sure. I bought the 1GB Mutec version to my moxf6.

I was reluctant at first, but thought “why not”. I recently purchased the Melas WaveEditor as well and that program is simply awesome in its simplicity and functionality.

If you are into Mellotrons, etc, then you have a vast library of nice sounding soundfonts around the net (from small to quite massive libraries), i would really recommend that SW in combination with your new flash-board.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 19, 2015 @ 08:45 AM
Muzikman2008
Total Posts:  14
Joined  05-18-2015
my03 - 08 May 2015 12:36 PM

Hi,

yes, i believe it’s worth getting flash-ram for sure. I bought the 1GB Mutec version to my moxf6.

I was reluctant at first, but thought “why not”. I recently purchased the Melas WaveEditor as well and that program is simply awesome in its simplicity and functionality.

If you are into Mellotrons, etc, then you have a vast library of nice sounding soundfonts around the net (from small to quite massive libraries), i would really recommend that SW in combination with your new flash-board.

Same here :-) highly recommended i bought the Mutec 1Gb board and John Melas Editor bundle with the cash i saved.. no brainer to me. construct your own drum kits easily with your own kicks snares and percussion. Im just getting my head around it all because i have only had the MOXF6 and flash board a week.. but i can see great potential. and them pianos of the “Inspiration in a flash” download is worth the upgrade alone. loving it!

[ Ignore ]