mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Moxf8 or Roland FA08.?"

Posted on: May 05, 2015 @ 03:03 AM
blafot
Total Posts:  105
Joined  05-04-2015

Hi.
I’m going to upgrade my Gear and are now down to two great keyboards. Both seems really good and I hope you can give me some more info.

Today I have a DX7 mkI and a Cme UF8 (with a lot of stuck keys) connected to a laptop on stage. Using both breathcontroller and expression i can do a lot of fun stuff playing pop, jazz, country and a lot of onemanband on theathreshiws with a lot of sampled soundefects. To be homest I’m never satisfied after planing Roland, I have a CVP-103 at home and Roland FP7 and RD170 and Yamaha GDX640 at work… and Steinway & malmsjo grand piano, Yamaha upright piano and also a casio… (I’m a teatcher in music… ). I feel that Roland is hard to fix a good sound in PA but sounds good i headphones. Yamaha sounds always good… easy to mix.

So… I want to know if theres possible to do the following:

1: Split into 2 zones and have base at left not affected by expressionped, modwheel and sustain. At right piano not affected and strings that uses expressionped. And organ volume at mod-wheel… Possible? Today I use it and… brass at BC.

2: Roland FA08 has samplepads for samples but cant play my own samples at keyboard. Moxf can play samples at keyboard using expansion flashboard. Can i make a soundeffekt-patch directly in moxf or do I need some computersoftware?

3: Roland can auto-record (in realtime) each channel from sequencer to a lot of wav:s on a SD-card. Can I bounce single-channel back to Cubase AI in some way?

4: Today I can use my laptop to make harmonize-choir from what I play on keyboard on stage. Is that possible using mic in and no computer but only moxf?

5: I´m (and also my wife, shes a musichan too) are quite sensible for latency. Today i have 3 msec using asio4all and a lot ot tweaks. How is the latency on moxf driver for windows? I’m gonna use it live on stage, sometimes with computer and sometimes without. I can’t play with more than 6 msec.

6: Can i connect my DX7 to MOXF using midi as a second keyboard (done that befor on others) to play CH#1 and play CH#2 on the moxf-keyboard, or does MOXF always play CH#1?

7: Can I connect one mic and ome acc-guitarr at the same time to the 2 ad input?

Thats all for now…
Regards/Blafot

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 05, 2015 @ 04:21 AM
DHTech
Total Posts:  62
Joined  11-20-2014

Not sure you’d get an unbiased opinion on a Yamaha Synth site ;)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 05, 2015 @ 05:27 AM
blafot
Joined  05-04-2015

I know that… But… I had a roland jv back in 1990:s and it worked well but never liked the keybed and now I prefer Yamaha over R. and I feel that R does not answer right on the keys. Sa I said I’m never satisfied after playing R… But theres a choice to make and it is almost done.... Moxf8. The question is if this is posible to do as I maybe can leave my laptop at home and only use the moxf.

I’m sometimes only using piano (playing to a choirs) and maybe some strings (expressionped.). Sometimes using drumloops and 5-6 split/layer realtime-controlled sounds.
Sometimes 2 keyborads expression and sustainpedals on both and also breathcontroll. So… I’m gonna take the Moxf to the limit. ;-)

Is it posible? Can I do that or do I need my laptop anyway?
Can I do that with the FA08? Maybe it’s better than the other Roland (I know some prefer R and yes… it’s a personal thing like hamburger or pizza).

My gear today works wery well and have done for 10 years but… My dx7 have been repeared for a broken PCB-lane in keybed and… maybe theres more in the future (it’s 32 years old) and my UF8 is in pieces i my basement with 5 stuck keys and one might bee broken and… theres not so easy to find spare-parts. So… I need a new one without having to step back in what I can do on stage.

/B

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 05, 2015 @ 09:02 AM
lordbachus
Total Posts:  85
Joined  08-28-2009

I have been comparing these two extensively, and i can come up with dozens of reasons to choose MOXF.

But only a few reasons to choose FA08.
- slightly prefer the keyfeel
- super natural synth sounds
While other things like computer integration, the drumpads not being touchsensitive, the overall sound quallity do not perform as one would expect. Super naturall accoustic sounds seem like something greta, but there are only a few usefull of them.

Both systems lack sliders and aftertouch..

Anyone else here can add all the dozens of advantages of the MOXF.

I will not answer your specific questions, as i am not an MOXF owner, i hope someone with real experience can answer those.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 05, 2015 @ 09:49 AM
miba
Total Posts:  2
Joined  02-22-2015

I started with a Roland FA06 but sold it after a year in favor of MOXF. The reason for me was quite simple and you mention it yourself: “I feel that Roland is hard to fix a good sound in PA but sounds good i headphones”.

I liked the Roland FA for many reasons and in many ways it’s a very good synth. But I never got it to sound good in a PA (and God knows I tried ...). MOXF on the other hand was a joy to listen to from the beginning.

Roland FA may have the functionality you’re looking for, but in my ears, the MOXF is superior in terms of the overall quality of the sound. At least if you are playing live trough a PA. And for me, sound quality is the most important “parameter” when you’re about to buy a new synth.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 05, 2015 @ 10:12 AM
agoldstraw
Total Posts:  20
Joined  06-06-2007

Tried both the MOXF6 and FA-06 in store before coming to a conclusion. On the way up to the shop, I’d almost talked myself into the Roland after listening to some of the add-on pack sounds on their website.

In the flesh, however, no contest. Yes, the MOXF is clearly put together at a price but the Roland felt like a toy by comparison, particularly with that horrid shiny panel which a) would make things tough under house lights and b) scratches up soon as you look it. I also preferred the (more familiar to me) Motif sound set, side-by-side.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 05, 2015 @ 12:30 PM
blafot
Joined  05-04-2015

Hi.
Thanx for your reply.

Well. If I need some superadvanced setups theres always a laptop that I can use. :-)

My problem is that no store here has any of the keyboards so I cant try them both.

I have to take one home and try… Can’t take both.
I guess its going to be a moxf.

How is the latency? I have win7 pro 64 8 gb ram i5 2,5 ghz and ssd.

Any answers on my questions?
Regards
/B

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 07, 2015 @ 10:02 AM
blafot
Joined  05-04-2015

Hi.
As there are no moxf availble to test where I live I have a question about the moxf8 keys.

Are they the same as dgx640, s70sx, p105 or clavinova cvp103?

How does the keys feel?
Tryed p105 and fantom g8 today.
Did not like g8 (second hand, not new).
/B

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 07, 2015 @ 11:02 AM
lordbachus
Total Posts:  85
Joined  08-28-2009

The keybed is the same as the mox8 and probably the p105

[ Ignore ]