mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "USB Drives & ASCII Keyboard questions"

Posted on: May 04, 2015 @ 04:47 PM
dsetto
Total Posts:  435
Joined  01-24-2014

Hi.

1. Does a USB drive need to be unmounted via software prior to manually disconnecting it from the XF? Or is there any special precautions to consider? Right now, I simply disconnect it; of course, not while I’m reading or writing to it.

2. Can I connect and use both a USB drive and a USB ASCII keyboard to a USB hub that then is connected to the XF? Does the hub need to be powered? Any precautions here?

Thank you in advance,

dsetto

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 04, 2015 @ 06:04 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
dsetto - 04 May 2015 04:47 PM

1. Does a USB drive need to be unmounted via software prior to manually disconnecting it from the XF? Or is there any special precautions to consider? Right now, I simply disconnect it; of course, not while I’m reading or writing to it.

As long as you continue to not disconnect the drive while it’s being accessed, you shouldn’t have a problem. A reason that care has to be taken with drives connected to computers is that there can be “delayed writes”, which sometimes makes it hard to determine when it’s safe to disconnect the drive. The Motifs do immediate writes, so that’s not an issue.

dsetto -

2. Can I connect and use both a USB drive and a USB ASCII keyboard to a USB hub that then is connected to the XF? Does the hub need to be powered? Any precautions here?

The hub does not need to be externally powered as long as the total current draw of what’s plugged into it doesn’t exceed 500mA. A USB ASCII keyboard and a couple of USB drives should be well within that limit. A decent USB LED lamp could even be included, but the emphasis is on ”decent”.
See http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/459043/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 04, 2015 @ 06:40 PM
dsetto
Joined  01-24-2014

Excellent. Thank you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 04, 2015 @ 06:52 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
dsetto - 04 May 2015 06:40 PM

Excellent. Thank you.

You’re welcome.

By the way, if you network the XF (via Ethernet), the computer will be able to see any attached USB drives. That allows copying of files between the computer’s drive and the USB drives, or even between two or more USB drives.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 04, 2015 @ 07:09 PM
dsetto
Joined  01-24-2014

That’s good advice. I have to get that going into my workflow.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ John Melas XF/XS Tools Complete Pack - WOW!!!
Next Topic:

MOTIF XF7 - no USB audio or? ››