mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "powerful sound on DT 770 Pro?"

Page 1 of 3
Posted on: April 15, 2015 @ 02:02 PM
salvosound
Total Posts:  99
Joined  03-08-2013

Hi all,
here i am with xf6 , 2 HS 50M monitor speakers and BeyerDynamic DT 770 PRO 32 ohm headphones.
My question is:
if i connect the headphones but also turn on the speakers, is there a way to make the sound pump ONLY through the headphones and not through speakers and headphones together?
I ask that because i ‘d like to have the “power” of the speakers “in a way” straight to the headphones!

p.s.: sorry for my bad english! :D

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2015 @ 02:51 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

Headphones connected to the keyboard will not be amplified by the monitors.

If you need more volume in the phones, you’ll need a headphone amp.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2015 @ 03:08 PM
salvosound
Joined  03-08-2013

Thank you very much cmayhle,
Can u suggest me some of these amps not so expensive i mean and based on the impedance of my headphones?
Oh, and please what d u think about the model of DT 770 PRO i bought? Because its in 3 versions: 32, 80, 250 ohm

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2015 @ 03:36 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
salvosound - 15 April 2015 03:08 PM

Thank you very much cmayhle,
Can u suggest me some of these amps not so expensive i mean and based on the impedance of my headphones?
Oh, and please what d u think about the model of DT 770 PRO i bought? Because its in 3 versions: 32, 80, 250 ohm

You could pay a lot more, but if you want an inexpensive way to boost your headphone volume, you might get one of These.

I have one, and can recommend it.

Of the three versions of headphone impedance you listed, the 32ohm model you own is the correct impedance match to your keyboard’s headphone output.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2015 @ 03:37 PM
salvosound
Joined  03-08-2013

Ops i forgot it has to be small also, because i ve not all that room near the keyb .
Thank you

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2015 @ 03:39 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011

The model I recommended is very compact.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2015 @ 04:04 PM
salvosound
Joined  03-08-2013

Oh yeah you re right man i Can only Thank you! The Last think i ask u is how Comes with the links: i have to connect the phones to one of the 4 ports of the amp? And what i connect to the phones Port of the xf6? Can u guide me?
Thank you very much

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2015 @ 04:36 PM
salvosound
Joined  03-08-2013

And if u please me the difference with ma400. Indeed i don’t need 4 channels for phones but only 1. Naturally i will follow your advice once u explain me why one is better than the other, for my use.
Many thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2015 @ 04:38 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

As cmayhle posted, 32 ohm headphones are a good match to the output impedance of the XF, and all other things being equal will provide the most output level (SPL).

While the Behringer HA400 is reasonably priced, it isn’t a good match for 32 ohm phones. Behringer states the output impedance to be “approx. 80 ohms”. Although the amplification might be sufficient, such a high output impedance as compared to the phones impedance will tend to cause any impedance variation with frequency of the phones to be heard as frequency response irregularities. A headphone amp with lower output impedance, preferably under 10 ohms, would have less of an impact on frequency response.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2015 @ 04:58 PM
salvosound
Joined  03-08-2013
5pinDIN - 15 April 2015 04:38 PM

As cmayhle posted, 32 ohm headphones are a good match to the output impedance of the XF, and all other things being equal will provide the most output level (SPL).

While the Behringer HA400 is reasonably priced, it isn’t a good match for 32 ohm phones. Behringer states the output impedance to be “approx. 80 ohms”. Although the amplification might be sufficient, such a high output impedance as compared to the phones impedance will tend to cause any impedance variation with frequency of the phones to be heard as frequency response irregularities. A headphone amp with lower output impedance, preferably under 10 ohms, would have less of an impact on frequency response.

5pinDIN thanks,
as i asked to cmayhle can u suggest me a not expensive model that matches your recommendations? (e.g. max. 100€)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2015 @ 06:08 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
salvosound - 15 April 2015 04:58 PM

5pinDIN thanks,
as i asked to cmayhle can u suggest me a not expensive model that matches your recommendations? (e.g. max. 100€)

I don’t like making specific recommendations, since personal preferences can make what I like not your choice. However, here are some not expensive possibilities…

The Behringer MA400, which you asked about, has an output impedance of 30 ohms, so a better match than the HA400.

The Rolls PM50S has an output impedance of 10 ohms. The gain is specified as 15 dB for the 1/4” TRS input, which should be plenty.

Both of the above will run from mains-powered adapters.

FiiO makes a few headphone amps that run on batteries, rechargeable via a USB port. A possibility is the E11. I don’t know the spec for the output impedance, although they claim it will drive 16 ohm phones.

If at all possible, try to find a local dealer and listen for yourself. If that can’t be done, try to buy from a dealer with a good return policy.

Hopefully others will post and provide their suggestions.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 16, 2015 @ 08:33 AM
salvosound
Joined  03-08-2013

Thanks very much.
I ve looked around web and found also “Musical Fidelity V Can II” (output impedance 5 ohms)
Any opinions about it with my motif?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 16, 2015 @ 10:24 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
salvosound - 16 April 2015 08:33 AM

Thanks very much.
I ve looked around web and found also “Musical Fidelity V Can II” (output impedance 5 ohms)

I don’t have any personal experience with the V-CAN II, so I downloaded the manual. It appears to have good specs. The line input/output loop-through connection is a plus if you want to leave the speaker cabling connected. The RCA line connectors will likely require you to obtain new cables.

It seems that it produces a “thump” when powered up or down.
From the manual:
All connections must be made before the
mains adaptor is plugged in, and before any
amplifier connected is switched on. Always
switch off the equipment attached to the V-
CANN II before connecting or disconnecting
power, changing leads or inputs.

Simply put, it apparently should be first thing on, last thing off.

According to Musical Fidelity, it’s a discontinued product, so if you decide to get one, you might want to do so soon.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 16, 2015 @ 02:31 PM
salvosound
Joined  03-08-2013
5pinDIN - 16 April 2015 10:24 AM
salvosound - 16 April 2015 08:33 AM

Thanks very much.

I don’t have any personal experience with the V-CAN II, so I downloaded the manual. It appears to have good specs. The line input/output loop-through connection is a plus if you want to leave the speaker cabling connected. The RCA line connectors will likely require you to obtain new cables.

It seems that it produces a “thump” when powered up or down.
From the manual:
All connections must be made before the
mains adaptor is plugged in, and before any
amplifier connected is switched on. Always
switch off the equipment attached to the V-
CANN II before connecting or disconnecting
power, changing leads or inputs.

Simply put, it apparently should be first thing on, last thing off.

According to Musical Fidelity, it’s a discontinued product, so if you decide to get one, you might want to do so soon.

First of all thanks again 5pinDIN.
Indeed i wouldn’t take as good the need to get other cables, i’d like to use my headphone and connect it to the ampli and then use a cable 1/4 to 1/4 ( or am i wrong?) and connect if from the amply to the phones port of the motif..
So, until now i’m searching for devices that match this peculiarity but i get in front of the problem of high output impedance...thats the problem.
So i ask, in your opinion, at which value, higher than the 10 ohms on which u focused on, i can push on, without considerable loss of quality during the listening through my DT 770 pro?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 16, 2015 @ 02:55 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011

salvosound, I will defer to 5pinDIN and his expertise on the electronics being discussed, but I can give you my actual experience...which may or may not help you!

When I use the Behringer HA400 amp...which 5pinDIN has pointed out has an approximate 80 ohm output...with my 40 ohm headphones, I can hear no audible difference between that and using the headphones plugged directly into the XF, other than the available volume increase of course.

The sound is absolutely great with either routing.

However, I have to add that I get a perfectly adequate output volume with my headphones going directly into the keyboard...at well under maximum volume set with the master slider.  I’m not sure why you would need more volume with your 32 ohm phones, but that is your choice.

I purchased the headphone amp only to be able to run multiple phones at the same time...and for the ability to adjust volume level per headphone user when doing so.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 16, 2015 @ 03:06 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
salvosound - 16 April 2015 02:31 PM

First of all thanks again 5pinDIN.

You’re welcome.

salvosound -

Indeed i wouldn’t take as good the need to get other cables, i’d like to use my headphone and connect it to the ampli and then use a cable 1/4 to 1/4 ( or am i wrong?) and connect if from the amply to the phones port of the motif..
So, until now i’m searching for devices that match this peculiarity but i get in front of the problem of high output impedance...thats the problem.
So i ask, in your opinion, at which value, higher than the 10 ohms on which u focused on, i can push on, without considerable loss of quality during the listening through my DT 770 pro?

I should clarify what I meant about cables. Many headphone amps have a 1/4” TRS jack for input, so a standard TRS-to-TRS cable can be used to connect the XF’s PHONES output to the amp. Since the V-CAN II has RCA inputs, you’d need a cable with TRS plug at one end, and a pair of RCA plugs at the other end - see attachment. I don’t see that as being a problem - I just mentioned it because it’s different than some other headphone amps.

Image Attachments
cable.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 3

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Vocal recording out
Next Topic:

Noise waveform ››