mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "It is possible to record audio in Logic Pro x using the Yamaha moxf6 via usb?"

Posted on: April 13, 2015 @ 01:04 PM
bernidf
Total Posts:  20
Joined  11-10-2009

It is possible to record audio in Logic Pro x using the Yamaha moxf6 via usb?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2015 @ 02:42 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013
bernidf - 13 April 2015 01:04 PM

It is possible to record audio in Logic Pro x using the Yamaha moxf6 via usb?

Yes, it is possible to record audio from the MOXF6 and from anything plugged into the MOXF6’s A/D inputs ...in Logic, via usb.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2015 @ 06:55 PM
bernidf
Joined  11-10-2009

How?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2015 @ 06:57 PM
bernidf
Joined  11-10-2009

I refer to the Moxf sounds,

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 14, 2015 @ 07:29 AM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Have you ever tried to record them before?...or done any kind of audio recording in Logic before? 

I could sit and write you a very long tutorial which might be pointless if you’ve already covered some of the ground.  So, a brief overview would go something like this.

- Install the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver.
- Connect MOXF USB ‘TO HOST’ to your computer.
- On the MOXF in USB I/O (USB input/output), set the mode to 2StereoRec.
- Make sure Direct Monitor is set to ON on the MOXF in both cases. A/D In & Part and Part.
- Set Local Control to ON.
- Choose your MOXF6 in Logic as the current ‘in use’ input and output device in Logic’s audio prefs.
- Push the DAW level slider up so you can hear back from Logic.
- Set up a stereo audio track in Logic, set it to inputs 3 and 4. and record arm it.
- Choose a Voice in Voice Mode to begin with (whilst you are learning)
- Put Logic in to record and play something on your MOXF. Logic should record what you are playing whilst allowing you to monitor it all via your MOXF.

That should get you near enough or give you something to think about, but WHY you have to do all of that is a completely different and very likely longer conversation. My overview is not particularly expansive either.

You might also want to check out Bad_Mister‘s Cubase recording tutorials here on Motifator, despite being about Cubase and not Logic, they are highly relevant.

You might also want to check out the new Music Production with Motif video product, where I provided educational materials for the Logic section of the video.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 14, 2015 @ 10:09 PM
bernidf
Joined  11-10-2009

Phil, thanks for your response, I very appreciate your time to answer my question, now I can record audio into Logic. I have another question, why the volume that I record is very low?  How can I zincronize the tempo?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2015 @ 06:27 AM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

In terms of VOICE mode, if you explore your various voices, you will see that they are all set at different levels and some are set quite conservatively.  This is so that you can stack them up together in a Performance or in PATTERN/SONG modes with minimal editing and maintain a healthy overall output level.

You can edit the individual levels of voices in VOICE mode by pressing EDIT and then choosing OUTPUT or F2.

You probably need to push them up a bit.

Setting up sync in Logic:

- Open up the Logic Menu > Preferences > MIDI.

- On the MIDI page, you will see a tab that says Sync. click on it.

- At the bottom right of the sync page that appears, you will see another tab saying ”MIDI sync project settings.”

- The page that opens up says “MIDI clock” at the top and you should see a drop down menu named Destination 1, click on that and select your MOXF Port 1 as the destination.

- Close all the MIDI and sync preference windows you’ve been using.

Do you know how to set the MOXF up?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2015 @ 06:48 AM
bernidf
Joined  11-10-2009

Thanks again for your help!
What means “set the MOXF up”?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2015 @ 07:11 AM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Well there are things you need to do on the MOXF as well, to set it up for Sync.

...and to quote Bad_Mister

on the MOXF:

Press [UTILITY]
Press [F6] MIDI
Press [SF3] SYNC
Set the MIDI SYNC = AUTO
This will allow the MOXF to follow the tempo as set in your DAW. You must set your DAW to send standard MIDI Clock to the MOXF on USB port 1.
Set the SEQUENCER CONTROL = IN
This allows the MOXF to receive and follow Start/Stop commands from the DAW.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2015 @ 08:22 AM
bernidf
Joined  11-10-2009

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2015 @ 01:00 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

You’re welcome bernidf.