mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Midi Zones"

Posted on: March 30, 2015 @ 06:44 PM
PhD
Total Posts:  38
Joined  12-27-2014

I want to split a Motif XF performance into to zones.  I want an external Bass Synth in zone 1, and internal motif voices in Zone 2.  What is the best/easiest way to do this?

I checked out the Master Mode article:

http://www.motifator.com/storage/support/XF_MasterMode.pdf

But, I still can’t figure it out....  Is it my MSB/LSB settings? (I still have no idea what those are after reading the article!).

Please help! Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 30, 2015 @ 07:01 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

It’s unclear (at least to me  :-) ) what you’re trying to do. Do you want to just have one of the Performance Parts played by an external sound source, or do you want to split the keyboard note range? What is the “external Bass Synth”? Etc…

Some details of the gear other than the XF could help, and if you intend to use a factory Performance, please tell us which one and anything else that might help us help you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 30, 2015 @ 07:51 PM
PhD
Joined  12-27-2014

Sorry for my vagueness, I am learning the ropes still to this game still!

Yes, I want Performance Part 1 to control an external sound source (my Microbrute) via MIDI. I want to use my Microbrute for bass in note range C -2 - C 2, and to play an internal polysynth voice for the second half of the keyboard.

I initialized USER performance A03 to start… Let em know if you need any more info, thanks for your patience.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 30, 2015 @ 09:52 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

You are on the right “track” looking to take your PERFORMANCE into Master Mode.  However, to do what you would like you need to first take your PERFORMANCE into a PATTERN or SONG.

A PERFORMANCE in Master Mode will still behave like a PERFORMANCE...you are only able to address a single MIDI channel at a time, just like all PERFORMANCES.

By using one of the Multi-Timbral MODES...SONG or PATTERN...and then taking the SONG or PATTERN into Master Mode, you will be able to address both Internal and External ZONES on multiple MIDI channels at the same time.

All of this is contained in the Article you referenced...see the Rules, and how they apply to the different Modes once you take them into Master Mode.

No, you don’t have to deal with MSB/LSB to do this.  Just get your PERFORMANCE into SONG or PATTERN Mode first.  Remember, once it is there, it is no longer a PERFORMANCE...it has become a SONG or PATTERN.

Once your PATTERN or SONG goes into Master Mode, you will activate the ZONES, and assign the appropriate Internal or External (or both) settings per ZONE.

You will also set your External module and corresponding MOXF PART to the same MIDI channel.  Now, you will have ZONES that address Internal sounds, and a ZONE that will address an external sound independently.

Let us know how this works out.

EDIT:  With regard to Note Limits per PART, these can be set up initially in PERFORMANCE Mode, in SONG or PATTERN Mode once the PERFORMANCE has been placed there, or in Master Mode once the SONG or PATTERN has been associated with a Master location.  So...plenty of options for Note Limits.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 30, 2015 @ 10:03 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
PhD - 30 March 2015 07:51 PM

[...]Yes, I want Performance Part 1 to control an external sound source (my Microbrute) via MIDI. I want to use my Microbrute for bass in note range C -2 - C 2, and to play an internal polysynth voice for the second half of the keyboard.[...]

The first thing you need to address is that all Parts of a Performance are on the same MIDI channel. That won’t work - the Performance has to be copied to a Song or Pattern Mixing. See Rule 2 of the article you linked to. Then see page 197 of the XF Reference Manual. Once you do that, things should fall into place.

If you manually select the sound on the MicroBrute, you don’t have to be concerned with TX Switch or Preset settings on the XF.

If you have further questions, just ask.

EDIT: I got distracted while posting, and cmayhle beat me to it.  :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 31, 2015 @ 12:01 AM
PhD
Joined  12-27-2014

Hells YEAH. thanks for the help, this forum makes life so much easier.

I was able to get it going after opening a Pattern w/ the internal sounds i wanted in Master Mode. After that, the rest was easy.

[ Ignore ]