mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Latency while recording in Song and Pattern Mode (MOTIF Standalone)"

Posted on: January 27, 2015 @ 05:54 PM
airborne
Total Posts:  143
Joined  12-30-2004

Hello everyone,

I have been experiencing a very weird issue with my Motif XF.

Basically, I was recording a Song and at some point after I recorded a few tracks, while I was trying to record a new one the sound was coming out of the keyboard with latency (yes, same thing that is associated with virtual instruments and large buffer sizes. As a result, the notes were recorded in the wrong place.

Same thing happened to me while I was recording a pattern. And a very simple one indeed. Drums, bass, guitar, rhodes.

Then I went on to record an additional kick drum and everything would be recorded out of place.

This problem happens completely randomly. I might try to record the same exact thing again and everything runs smoothly.

What could it be that causes the MOTIF to go out of sync?

To me it seems that the system can’t keep up with the information you input and it takes some time to process it. Everything becomes really sluggish.

Any ideas?

This is on a standalone Motif XF with the latest update installed. If you need additional information please let me know.

Thanks in advance !

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 27, 2015 @ 06:26 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

My immediate thought is one of polyphony, as that is a very common symptom...especially the “randomness” of it.  I know you say it’s a “simple” recording, but sometimes when you count up polyphony it gets a lot bigger than you think.

Any liberal use of the sustain pedal on the Rhodes?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 27, 2015 @ 07:26 PM
airborne
Total Posts:  143
Joined  12-30-2004

Hi and thanks for the reply :)

Yes, polyphony was my first thought as well but then how come a song that has been exhibiting this erratic behaviour work fine after a while? That is really a puzzler.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 20, 2015 @ 08:37 PM
Jazzguy
Total Posts:  2
Joined  01-11-2015

Well I have an issue with the same thing.  I was playing a bass drum and a snare with a simple beat, as it looped around the beat was off by a hair.  I changed the BPM and the same thing occurred.  What the heck!!  I can even see the hesitation on the click and light when it is ready to loop, why is this happening?? I was only playing two items. It doesn’t do it all the time. Is it because of a certain set of drums I selected, BPM. 

Jazzguy

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 20, 2015 @ 11:20 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Jazzguy - 20 April 2015 08:37 PM

Well I have an issue with the same thing.  I was playing a bass drum and a snare with a simple beat, as it looped around the beat was off by a hair.  I changed the BPM and the same thing occurred.  What the heck!!  I can even see the hesitation on the click and light when it is ready to loop, why is this happening?? I was only playing two items. It doesn’t do it all the time. Is it because of a certain set of drums I selected, BPM. 

Jazzguy

Have you looked at the Event List to see if anything looks out of place or otherwise unexpected?

Can you attach an “All Pattern” (.X3P) file which includes the problematic Pattern? If you decide to do so, zip it.

[ Ignore ]