mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "USING THE MOTIF 8 WITH NEW SOFTWARE, NEW INTERFACE"

Posted on: January 26, 2015 @ 11:31 PM
leelee2
Total Posts:  17
Joined  08-05-2002

I have not used my Motif 8 for recording in years but it’s still in excellent condition. I’m picking back up where I left off but I’ve upgraded everything (software, interface, computer) but my problem is NOTHING is working now. I downloaded current drivers for Windows 8.1 from Yamaha’s website supposedly to be used with this instrument but it doesn’t show up on my computer even though I’ve downloaded it several times. When I open Music Creator to try to select what to use with Midi I am not permitted to “apply”.  It just keeps rejecting my selections. I am using Cakewalk Music Creator 6 Touch (but don’t have a touch computer) and nothing there either.  Something happened when I changed interfaces. At least I could still hear sound. Any suggestions on how to make all these things “talk” to one another and work properly? Thank you for your help.  I’m sure you KNOW how frustrating this is :)btw, When I first bought the Motif, I have never used USB.  I tried that too because everything is USB now.  Or maybe I am setup/plugged in incorrectly.  Below is my setup:

Yamaha Motif 8
Scarlett 2i4 interface (Focusrite)
Windows 8.1
Music Creator 6 Touch

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 14, 2015 @ 11:40 PM
kevinb
Total Posts:  340
Joined  05-07-2003

It’s hard to tell from your description exactly how you have the system set up. The basic setup would be L & R audio outputs from the Motif into the audio inputs of the Scarlet. The Scarlet then sends the audio via USB to the computer. The USB interface on the Classic Motif only sends MIDI data and limited control surface info to your computer. Unlike the newer Motifs there’s no audio information passed over the USB port on the Classic, so you need to hook up the audio outputs from the Motif to your Scarlet if you want to hear audio. If you’re using the Motif USB port for MIDI control make sure that’s set correctly in the Motif onboard menu (haven’t got the keyboard in front of me now so refer to your manual). Setup for the Focusrite Scarlet interface otherwise seems straightforward--they have an instructional video on their web site. Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 15, 2015 @ 10:21 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005
leelee2 - 26 January 2015 11:31 PM

[ I downloaded current drivers for Windows 8.1 from Yamaha’s website supposedly to be used with this instrument but it doesn’t show up on my computer even though I’ve downloaded it several times.

When you write “it doesn’t show up” do you mean that after installing the drivers they are somehow missing?  I am a Mac guy but I know enough about Windows to know you can determine if drivers are installed or not.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2015 @ 07:11 AM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6215
Joined  05-09-2003

It should be possible to open the Yamaha USB control panel to make sure it is properly installed and ‘seeing’ the motif.
I have an issue with Cubase in that if I open Cubase before turning on the Motif, Cubase will not see the motif. Solution, close Cubase and reopen. Could that be an issue? It woud certainly be easy to try - ie turn on the motif and then start your Music software.

Last thought is that the classic has a switch between using the MIDI cable or USB - Utilities, MIDI, Other and toggle between the two. It is just possible that you have MIDI selected.

Cheers

[ Ignore ]