mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Yamaha editor iPad apps (Performance, voice editors) don’t connect my MOX8."

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: January 20, 2015 @ 08:22 PM
devinci
Total Posts:  9
Joined  07-14-2011

Context:

I have a Yamaha MOX8 and an iPad 3. I bought and downloaded the Yamaha apps from the Apple Appstore. I also have the iPad camera kit. When I connect the MOX8 to the iPad via the camera kit, I am not getting any MIDI data on the iPad. In the voice editor app, I select the right model, make sure the MIDI channel is set to 1 in both the iPad and on the MOX and that the device ID is 1 etc… I select cable connection but I still don’t get anything.

I tried different USB cables, changed the MIDI parameter on my MOX8 from USB to MIDI but still nothing.

As I had no idea if the problem was with the iPad itself, or the camera kit or maybe all my USB cables, I went to the nearest Guitar Center yesterday and connected it to a MOXF8 that they have in store. It worked perfectly and automatically. I compared the parameters between the MOX and MOXF and they both seem to be the same. So the problem seem to be with the MOX itself. I know the USB connector on the synth works as I connected it to my MacBook Pro many times to record midi and audio in Logic Pro X. I use it with Mainstage 3 a lot too.

Question:

Is there a bug with the MOX models so it cannot connect the iPad? Are the USB connectors between the MOX and MOXF the same? Has anyone faced this issue before?

Thanks for your help and ideas.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 20, 2015 @ 09:32 PM
bgrosse
Total Posts:  465
Joined  07-06-2009

Are you using the “To Host” port on your MOX????

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2015 @ 12:27 PM
devinci
Joined  07-14-2011

Hi,

Yes I was using the “To Host” on both my MOX and the MOXF at the store. I even tried the “To Device” USB port with the appropriate USB cable (type A to type A) as I thought maybe I was using the wrong one. Then after my visit at Guitar Center and trying it on an MOXF I knew the “To Host” USB port was the one to use.

Thanks for trying to help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2015 @ 07:11 PM
bgrosse
Total Posts:  465
Joined  07-06-2009

Well I am stumped because I use my MOX with my iPad frequently and it works very well.
Sorry i can’t offer any suggestion.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2015 @ 08:57 AM
pomodei
Total Posts:  53
Joined  12-31-2013

I use a MOX 6 connected with the iPad via the Camera Connection Kit without problems.
To understand the causes of yours, I suggest to check the MIDI connection with a free tool like “midi monitor” (see picture), that you can download for free from the Aplle Store.

Be sure also to disconnect any device from the MIDI ports of the MOX and to configure the MIDI IN/OUT to USB (page 150 of the Reference Manual, “Utility mode").

Hope this can help.

Ciao from Italy.

Pino

Image Attachments
midi monitor.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 23, 2015 @ 06:55 PM
devinci
Joined  07-14-2011

Last evening I remembered that I had a 5-PIN midi cable still plugged in my MOX while trying to get the MIDI data out to my iPad from the USB cable. I thought maybe only one has to be plugged it at a time (5 PIN or USB).

I was crossing my fingers that by disconnecting the 5-PIN midi cable that the iPad would start receiving MIDI data from the MOX but no luck. It still doesn’t work.

As suggested, I installed the MIDI Monitor apps and it doesn’t receive anything. When I open one of the Yamaha editor apps I get a pop-up that says, No Midi Device Found or something like this. I made sure I have the latest firmware and did a setup to factory setups. None of that worked.

I have no clue why it still doesn’t work. Thanks all for your help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 23, 2015 @ 07:17 PM
anotherscott
Total Posts:  653
Joined  06-30-2010

As I recall, connecting the MOX to the iPad using the Apple Camera Connection Kit and a USB cable stopped working when iOS was upgraded from 6 to 7. I don’t know whether there was ever a fix for that, or what the situation is with iOS 8.

The way around it was to either to connect the MOX using its MIDI ports rather than its USB port (there are a variety of products that will let you connect standard 5-pin MIDI to the iPad), or if you want to stick with the MOX’s USB port, Yamaha’s own iOS I-UX1 USB interface might work.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 23, 2015 @ 07:58 PM
devinci
Joined  07-14-2011

I tried in on a MOXF8 at Guitar Center and it worked immediately. I wanted to narrow down which part was the problem between the keyboard itself, the iPad, the USB cable and the camera kit.

Since it worked on the MOXF8 I am thinking that it should be working on the MOX8 too. I thought that maybe the USB port on my keyboard doesn’t send MIDI data but when I connect the MOX to my MacBook Pro I can see midi data in Logic Pro X and in MainStage 3. It just doesn’t like my iPad. I would loved to be able to use the Voice, Performance and concert sets Editors. I made a factory reset and made sure I had the latest firmware installed.

Thanks for helping.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 23, 2015 @ 09:54 PM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011

There are enough differences in the MOXF and MOX that a comparison would be of little help. All of anotherscotts’ post is dead on. It may be of help if you disclose your iPads OS.

Stone

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 24, 2015 @ 02:00 PM
SSquared
Total Posts:  165
Joined  01-29-2014

The problem existed with the MOXF as well with iOS 7.  Yamaha released a firmware update to the MOXF which resolved the problem.  As anotherscott mentioned, iOS 6 did work (at least with MOXF).  I remained on 6 until the firmware upgrade and then upgraded to iOS 7

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 24, 2015 @ 03:18 PM
stoneb3
Joined  06-05-2011
SSquared - 24 January 2015 02:00 PM

The problem existed with the MOXF as well with iOS 7.  Yamaha released a firmware update to the MOXF which resolved the problem.  As anotherscott mentioned, iOS 6 did work (at least with MOXF).  I remained on 6 until the firmware upgrade and then upgraded to iOS 7

Thanks for the clarification.
I’ve followed the discussions regarding these issues for a while now and there have been a number of them. We know that in the ever evolving high tech world many devices don’t always perform well together. A common theme in addressing these issues is knowing what OS systems people are using. It makes it easier in providing help with their situation. Without it, all we can provide is conjecture.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 24, 2015 @ 03:41 PM
SSquared
Joined  01-29-2014

So true.  With the new Firmware which resolved the iPad issues, it also required a new Windows driver to use the MOXF with Windows.  That new driver does not work under Vista, so I lost that ability on my Vista laptop, but gained another one (works with iPad).  Working with the iPad is more important to me.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 24, 2015 @ 09:41 PM
pomodei
Total Posts:  53
Joined  12-31-2013
anotherscott - 23 January 2015 07:17 PM

As I recall, connecting the MOX to the iPad using the Apple Camera Connection Kit and a USB cable stopped working when iOS was upgraded from 6 to 7. I don’t know whether there was ever a fix for that, or what the situation is with iOS 8.

The way around it was to either to connect the MOX using its MIDI ports rather than its USB port (there are a variety of products that will let you connect standard 5-pin MIDI to the iPad), or if you want to stick with the MOX’s USB port, Yamaha’s own iOS I-UX1 USB interface might work.

My iPad is iOS 6. This is the reason why I didn’t upgraded to iOS 7.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 26, 2015 @ 12:51 PM
devinci
Joined  07-14-2011

The iOS version on my iPad 3 is the current one (8.1.2). 

If the iOS version would be the problem why did it worked perfectly on the MOXF8 I tried it with at Guitar Center? Do you think that the latest firmware for the MOXF fixed the iPad connectivity problem and that Yamaha hasn’t updated the MOX firmware with the same corrections?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 26, 2015 @ 01:01 PM
stoneb3
Joined  06-05-2011
devinci - 26 January 2015 12:51 PM

The iOS version on my iPad 3 is the current one (8.1.2). 

If the iOS version would be the problem why did it worked perfectly on the MOXF8 I tried it with at Guitar Center? Do you think that the latest firmware for the MOXF fixed the iPad connectivity problem and that Yamaha hasn’t updated the MOX firmware with the same corrections?

That’s how I interpret it, hopefully others can confirm this. Thanks for posting the iOS version it may help others as well. I may have read an update is in the future for the MOX but I could be way off base. Perhaps someone is aware of this as well?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 26, 2015 @ 01:14 PM
SSquared
Joined  01-29-2014

A firmware update to the MOXF resolved the problem with iOS7.  Before the firmware, you had to use iOS 6 if you wanted USB/MIDI.  USB/Audio did not work even with the previous firmware.  With the new firmware, USB started working with iOS 7 and they also added USB Audio.

The MOXF at GC must have the latest firmware.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2