mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Where did the great Motif Piano go?"

Posted on: January 12, 2015 @ 01:35 PM
shuebler@wi.rr.com
Total Posts:  2
Joined  12-21-2014

I’m not sure if I’m losing my hearing or my mind! The first time I heard the Motif piano was 10 years ago and I found it amazing - the best piano ever. So I finally bought the XF7 last year without listening to it first and that great Motif piano is simply not there. I bought the Epic Grand from KSounds and that is not what I’m looking for either. The keyboard player in my band has the Motif XS and yes that great piano is there - so maybe this is not my ears. Thanks for listening!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 12, 2015 @ 02:49 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Welcome to the forum.

Sound is very subjective - it’s in the ear and brain of the listener. That’s especially true for piano, due to the wide range of frequencies and dynamics.

For some alternatives to the XF pianos, see:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/469996

Hopefully you’ll find one that’s “great” for you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 12, 2015 @ 05:30 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005
shuebler@wi.rr.com - 12 January 2015 01:35 PM

The keyboard player in my band has the Motif XS and yes that great piano is there - so maybe this is not my ears.

Ask him what voice he is using.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 13, 2015 @ 03:53 PM
anotherscott
Total Posts:  653
Joined  06-30-2010

All XS voices are in the XF. The original Motif has a piano sound called Power Grand that some people liked. It could *optionally* be loaded into the XS, so maybe your keyboard player did that. You can likewise load it into your XF. It’s part of the free “Inspiration in a Flash” download from Yamaha.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 14, 2015 @ 05:43 AM
sarmad_dehnadi
Total Posts:  85
Joined  01-17-2011

I think there is lots of free and third party piano patches that you can upload to your motif and I am sure they will satisfy you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 31, 2015 @ 02:56 PM
shuebler@wi.rr.com
Total Posts:  2
Joined  12-21-2014

Thanks for the help 5pinDIN, meatballfulton, anotherscott, and sarmad_dehnadi!

I have learned a lot. The original sound I was looking for was indeed the Power Grand. Having also recently moved to non-weighted keyboard to help wrist and forearm pain after many years of 88-key weighted keys I do recognize a difference there as well. If I use Power Grand or Rock Grand and set the velocity I can almost get there, but there is still something about that XS piano sound.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 31, 2015 @ 10:18 PM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

If you’re listening to a preset sound on two factory-set instruments then, any variation between how it sounds on an XF or an XS will be beyond most mortal’s powers of distinction I think. If either sound has been tweaked in any way then there is your culprit/answer. You might want to first check that the sounds themselves are indeed preset versions. Then maybe check Master EQ settings. You have already checked velocity response, so that was smart.

Unless you really want to drive yourself bananas a/b-ing cables, headphones, loudspeakers and rooms I’d suggest you are by now probably ‘close enough’ and you will soon be back focusing on the music you’re creating with it. There are tons of pianos out there but I personally do agree, that original Motif piano still ain’t too shabby.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 31, 2015 @ 11:28 PM
Boardman
Total Posts:  21
Joined  04-01-2005

I asked the same question “shuebler@wi.rr.com” asked when I joined the forums. For stock sounds, I honestly perceive a better quality sound on a stick XS (and MO8). The quality of the XF sounds to me does not sound as good as the videos online etc. Even heard them in live bands and sounded way better. But as 5pinDIN says, sound is very subjective. However, recently I keep on seeing more people having the same issue. Maybe the XF sounds need to be slightly tweaked, but I definitely agree with .

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 01, 2015 @ 10:05 AM
anotherscott
Total Posts:  653
Joined  06-30-2010

When comparing the sounds on an XS to an XF, make sure you’re playing them from the same action. If one is an 88 and the other is a 61/76, there will be a difference introduced just from the different velocity responses of the different keys (and it can not be fully accounted for by altering the velocity settings in the board… the actions simply play differently.) You could also try running a MIDI cable from one to the other, and try playing each from the other’s action, to confirm whether the difference you’re experiencing is from the action or not.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 01, 2015 @ 10:50 AM
chasmanian
Total Posts:  319
Joined  01-27-2014

anotherscott, that is such a great point.
this is my experience (so, this is highly subjective and personal........and also I am expressing MY opinions........I could be wrong :)).

I prefer playing piano on my Kawai digital piano. that instrument is designed for playing piano on.
and thats all. it can play a few other sounds....electric piano, organ, vibes.........a couple others, I think.
but thats pretty much it.
it is amazing and fantastic and wonderful at doing that. I love it.

now, the Motif XF8......whole different animal.
it does a million things.......and most of them, it does really really good. it is a heavenly magic joy box.
how’s the piano playing sound and experience on it, for me?
its pretty good.
not as good as the Kawai.
anyway, thats how it is for me.

edit:
just had another awesome session playing my XF.
I want to qualify something.
I was playing PERFORMANCES. I love many of them.
the piano sounds in the context of playing the PERFORMANCES (for me), is wonderful beyond description.

[ Ignore ]