mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOXF new owner: what are your suggested readings?"

Posted on: January 05, 2015 @ 11:54 AM
callmejs
Total Posts:  18
Joined  07-21-2014

Hi all,

Just got started with my new MOXF6, seeking some advises on best way moving forward to master this instrument.

I’ve read the “Owner’s manual” cover to cover.  It’s not the most well written document but I think basics are covered.  It is clearly just skimming over the surface. 

Reference Manual is clearly a reference manual, not intended for instructions.

For example, one thing I’d like to do is to be able to switch between a few voices live, without them cutting.  Couldn’t find anything on that in the manual, but this is such a powerful synth, I can’t believe it cannot be done…

But that is just one example… I’m sure there is hundreds of tips, tricks and hacks that are available but not in Yamaha’s documentation.

So I’m very much interested to hear from you, newbies and veterans alike, about the threads, articles, documents, tutorials that helped you get the best out of your MOXF.  What ever the topic, if it was interesting and valuable to you, I’m all ears!

Thanks in advance,
JS

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 05, 2015 @ 01:44 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
callmejs - 05 January 2015 11:54 AM

[...]For example, one thing I’d like to do is to be able to switch between a few voices live, without them cutting.  Couldn’t find anything on that in the manual, but this is such a powerful synth, I can’t believe it cannot be done…

See:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/using_a_moxf_mixing_program_for_quick_access_to_multiple_sounds_in_a_live_s

callmejs -

But that is just one example… I’m sure there is hundreds of tips, tricks and hacks that are available but not in Yamaha’s documentation.[...]

The support section of Motifator is a place to start:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/

Click on the MOXF tab, but also the MOX one, since the two models have a lot in common.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 05, 2015 @ 02:32 PM
zpink
Total Posts:  427
Joined  08-02-2014

Hi there and congratulations to the new MOXF!

I would suggest you read both manuals in parallel since they complement each other. The reference one is much more than just a reference.

I’m still just scratching the surface here myself, but I’ve found that using the Editor makes it a lot easier to figure out what’s going on than trying to do it all from the menus.
If you have it hooked up to the computer that is.

Have fun!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 05, 2015 @ 02:48 PM
callmejs
Joined  07-21-2014
5pinDIN - 05 January 2015 01:44 PM

See:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/using_a_moxf_mixing_program_for_quick_access_to_multiple_sounds_in_a_live_s

This is a perfect example of what I’m looking for.  Can’t find that in neither the owner’s manual nor the reference manual.  Very clever trick, anxious to try it out on my board tonight.

Thanks 5pinDIN! 

5pinDIN - 05 January 2015 01:44 PM

The support section of Motifator is a place to start:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/

Click on the MOXF tab, but also the MOX one, since the two models have a lot in common.

Didn’t notice the support section as I had bookmarked the forums only.  Will read those up for sure!

Thanks again for your input 5pinDIN!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 05, 2015 @ 03:08 PM
callmejs
Joined  07-21-2014
zpink - 05 January 2015 02:32 PM

Hi there and congratulations to the new MOXF!

I would suggest you read both manuals in parallel since they complement each other. The reference one is much more than just a reference.

I’m still just scratching the surface here myself, but I’ve found that using the Editor makes it a lot easier to figure out what’s going on than trying to do it all from the menus.
If you have it hooked up to the computer that is.

Have fun!

I didn’t look into the Editor yet, thanks for pointing me in that direction zpink.

What do you use it for?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 05, 2015 @ 04:32 PM
zpink
Total Posts:  427
Joined  08-02-2014
callmejs - 05 January 2015 03:08 PM

I didn’t look into the Editor yet, thanks for pointing me in that direction zpink.

What do you use it for?

In my case, everything! ;-)

Jokes aside, most of the time I use it as a VST in Cubase, but even when I just play around with the MOXF, I do all my tweaks and changes using the stand-alone editor.
Basically, everything you can do from the menus on the synth itself, but(IMHO) a lot easier to find your way around in. :-)

It can also be used as some sort of librarian since you can save everything to files.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 13, 2015 @ 08:22 PM
TiasDad
Total Posts:  45
Joined  04-12-2014

I find the manuals are not the easiest to digest so I recommend these DVD titles, they really show how easy things are to do, compared to the manuals ... http://shop.motifator.com/index.php/dvds/motif-series-yamaha-dvds/full-motifation-special-for-moxf.html

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 14, 2015 @ 03:07 AM
Gumby1240
Joined  09-13-2014

Go to yamahasynth.com

Click on synthesizers

Click on MOXF

click on resources there are about 30 articles there.

Start at the end (first ones) and move backward most recent

Don’t forget that MOX is basically identical. So look at the articles here at Motifator for MOX.
They won’t be in the other site.

Check in with Bad Mister. He can be a bit cranky but he’s full of great advice. He’s the Obi-Won around here.

Blessings!

Gumby

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 14, 2015 @ 08:38 AM
callmejs
Joined  07-21-2014

Great pointers, thank you all!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 18, 2015 @ 07:02 PM
Gumby1240
Joined  09-13-2014

Just want to affirm TiasDad’s comments on the DVDs. Got them for Christmas. Wow! I was struggling just reading through the manual.

Worthy every penny! What was mystifying - is clear. Yay! Gotta love it.

Don’t get me wrong - gotta work with the manuals too - because there isn’t enough on the vid. But the combination - is soooo good!

Gumby

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 28, 2015 @ 09:20 AM
wuls007
Total Posts:  8
Joined  01-27-2015

I also use the moxf for live performance and i use it on song mode, so it will not clip when i change/switch sounds (in song mode u have patchremain)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2015 @ 02:52 AM
joshhuntnm
Total Posts:  7
Joined  02-05-2015
TiasDad - 13 January 2015 08:22 PM

I find the manuals are not the easiest to digest so I recommend these DVD titles, they really show how easy things are to do, compared to the manuals ... http://shop.motifator.com/index.php/dvds/motif-series-yamaha-dvds/full-motifation-special-for-moxf.html

How long are these dvds?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2015 @ 03:39 AM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
joshhuntnm - 06 February 2015 02:52 AM

...How long are these dvds?

Discovering the MOX is 2hrs 30min.

MOXF In ‘N’ Out is 1hr 50min.

These links are from Keyfax, and give a bit more information than the Motifator Shop links I put in your other thread.

However, the “bundle” from the Motifator Shop is a better value.  Same products.

[ Ignore ]