mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Why is pitch off in Pattern?"

Posted on: December 15, 2014 @ 12:19 PM
jerrydpi
Total Posts:  973
Joined  11-03-2012

Thanks to everyone for helping me with instructions on how to record in the Pattern Mode and convert it into a Song :)

I do have a question about one of the Sections I was recording.

When I was recording the Section (the Verse), it sounded exactly the way I played it.

But when I played it back, the Bass line sounds a little flat on the C note that I play twice in the Sequence.

Any ideas as to why?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2014 @ 12:26 PM
DHTech
Total Posts:  62
Joined  11-20-2014

Yeah there’s your problem, you played the C twice ;) LOL

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2014 @ 12:33 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

I meant that whenever I played a C note (only at two points in the (8) measure Verse, just the C note sounds flat when the Section is played back:)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2014 @ 12:44 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
jerrydpi - 15 December 2014 12:33 PM

I meant that whenever I played the C note (only at two points in the (8) measure Verse, just the C note sounds flat when the Section is played back:)

Are you saying that it sounds flat only when playing back the sequence, and not when initially playing it while recording?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2014 @ 12:48 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012
5pinDIN - 15 December 2014 12:44 PM
jerrydpi - 15 December 2014 12:33 PM

I meant that whenever I played the C note (only at two points in the (8) measure Verse, just the C note sounds flat when the Section is played back:)

Are you saying that it sounds flat only when playing back the sequence, and not when initially playing it while recording?

5pD,

Of course it plays flat only when playing back :)

If I miss a note when I’m recording, I just re-record the part.

When I say “flat”, perhaps a better description would be like a Bass Player was playing the note but he is not quite dead on for the note (like he is a little unsure if that’s the correct note to play).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2014 @ 01:03 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
jerrydpi - 15 December 2014 12:48 PM

5pD,

Of course it plays flat only when playing back :)

If I miss a note when I’m recording, I just re-record the part.

I wasn’t suggesting that you missed a note. Rather, I was wondering whether the Voice(s), Arps, effects, controllers and their interactions were responsible for what you were hearing, as opposed to it somehow being related to the recording/playback of a Pattern.

Personally, I sometimes don’t notice a minor problem until I play a sequence back. While recording, I’m usually paying more attention to the mechanics of it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2014 @ 01:49 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

When I’m recording my originals, I know the parts so well that I’m concentrating on how each note sounds/feels and if those notes are in time when I’m playing :)

So I would have noticed immediately if I was missing a Bass note.

Again I repeat, when I’m playing/recording the custom Performance (that does have a Drum/Bass/Guitar/EP ARP going on), every note, chord, line is being played exactly as I want.

It’s just when I play back that one Section (the Verse) that the Bass note is off.

I have 10 Sections for the entire Pattern and the Bass note is only off for that one Verse/Section

What do I do?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 16, 2014 @ 02:42 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

I have successfully recorded the Song from my MOXF to my DAW (LPX) :)

Can the Event List in my DAW tell us anything about what’s going on with those C notes on the Bass Track?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 16, 2014 @ 03:47 PM
SSquared
Total Posts:  165
Joined  01-29-2014

It wouldn’t hurt to look at the event list.  It could also be something about the particular voice being used.  Have you tried different sounds to see if you hear the same problems.  It could be a portamento thing, or legato, or something else within the voice itself.  If you have quantize on, it’s possible once quantized, it changes how certain voice parameters inter-operate because now the timing is slightly different.

I would try a different voice, if you haven’t done that already.  Also check to see if Portamento is turned off.  Although, it IS very odd to only be happening on this one section of the pattern.  Something else to try, mute all tracks but the bass and transpose it.  Does that same transposed note sound flat?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 16, 2014 @ 05:16 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

It is puzzling/odd isn’t it :)

I’ll try your suggestions on my day off (tomorrow).

Thanks,

Jerry

[ Ignore ]