mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Buying a Used ES 8"

Posted on: December 08, 2014 @ 11:26 PM
gerkom
Total Posts:  4
Joined  12-08-2014

I am contemplating buying a used Motif ES8.

I am concerned about the longevity of a 12 year old instrument and looking for advice from the subject matter experts here.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Gerry K

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 09, 2014 @ 06:02 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

I treat all used gear the same when buying: try EVERYTHING. This usually annoys the seller…

Audio ins and outs, MIDI, USB to host, USB storage, SM card, pedal inputs, all switches buttons and knobs.

If an SM card is not included, make sure to check what OS is installed since you can’t update the OS without the card.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 10, 2014 @ 12:03 AM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Play it with the volume down to nothing and listen for anything odd with the keys such as squeaking or knocking/clattering.

If they have their sound system needlessly loud, then you can bet they are trying to hide something like that.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 10, 2014 @ 08:40 AM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007

This is a nice product (I have ES since 2007, but 61 key version). As meatballfulton said, check OS version (the latest one is 1.08). Power on the unit while holding down the [REC] and [STORE] buttons simultaneously. Although loading data from SM card is faster, SM is obsolete and you could only find some adapter (SM to xD). But, smaller xD cards (up to 128Mb ES limit) are rare and you should by one with larger capacity and could only use 128Mb. That’s up to you, but I suggest you to check if OS is 1.08, than use USB only. It’s simpler.
If unit is equipped with RAM, that is a merit, since you could use sampling. It is nice also as a kind of digital recording, since you could resample your MIDI saved songs to WAV file and than export it to computer for further tuning (master effect, etc.).

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 10, 2014 @ 10:41 AM
gerkom
Joined  12-08-2014

Thanks for the advice. This is what I need to know.

So, if the unit is in good operating order it could last another 8 years?

Gerry K

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 10, 2014 @ 11:17 AM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007

gerkom - 10 December 2014 10:41 AM

Thanks for the advice. This is what I need to know.

So, if the unit is in good operating order it could last another 8 years?

Gerry K

Yamaha gear are very robust. So, if you have tried keys, pots, knobs, etc. and everything is in good shape, there is no place for worry. Further, if seller play his/her instrument at home or studio only (influence of tobacco smoke from clubs is zero), than it should be at least as you expected.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 11, 2014 @ 11:11 PM
gerkom
Joined  12-08-2014

Thanks for the replies.

I am going to actively pursue acquiring one.

I will use all of your suggestions.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2014 @ 12:46 PM
gerkom
Joined  12-08-2014

I am looking at one and three (3) keys were replaced because they were sticking.

Is this a biggie? Should I be concerned or not?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 17, 2015 @ 02:16 PM
tsfleetw
Total Posts:  1
Joined  02-17-2015

I love my Motif ES8. I have been recording for years and have replaced my computer all of my pics and interfaces.  The only thing that is still the same in my studio is the Motif ES 8!!!!  I recorded and sequenced and mixed this entire using only the Motif ES 8!!

https://soundcloud.com/sgtc3p0/drive-instrumental-the-cars

great machine!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Copying elements of a Voice
Next Topic:

MOTIF ES ››