mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "UR44 mixer audio routing to Windows 7"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: November 28, 2014 @ 09:49 PM
euphoniousmusic
Total Posts:  65
Joined  10-05-2013

I have my MOX8 and microphone connected to the UR44 and I listen the mixed output through one of the headphone ports. It works fine.

I have connected the UR44 via USB to my computer.

Can I route the mixed audio to my computer? If so, how can I do it?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 28, 2014 @ 10:09 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Hi euphoniousmusic,

If you use it with a DAW and set up an audio track for each of them, then you will be using the DAW to mix it as such.

Create 2 audio tracks:

Audio Track 1 - Stereo - (line input 1 and 2) - MOX8

Audio Track 2 - Mono - (mic input 1) - Microphone

All of that is mixed by the DAW and will come out of the audio outputs of your UR44 as a single stereo mix (or the headphones out that you’ve been using)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 28, 2014 @ 10:21 PM
euphoniousmusic
Joined  10-05-2013
philwoodmusic - 28 November 2014 10:09 PM

Hi euphoniousmusic,

If you use it with a DAW and set up an audio track for each of them, then you will be using the DAW to mix it as such.

Audio Track 1 - Stereo - (line input 1 and 2) - MOX8

Audio Track 2 - Mono - (mic input 1) - Microphone

All of that is mixed by the DAW and will come out of the audio outputs of your UR44 as a single stereo mix (or headphones out)

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. So far as the audio output from the UR44 is concerned is great, i.e I listen through my headphones, where headphones are the output from UR44.

But I am wondering if I can re-route the audio signal to my computer?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 28, 2014 @ 10:27 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Do you not usually connect your UR44 to your computer then?

All you need to do is connect the UR44 via USB to your computer and set up two audio tracks in a DAW (Cubase etc.) monitoring the inputs you have plugged your MOX8 and mic into and you should be good to go.

You can still listen via the same headphones output.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 28, 2014 @ 10:40 PM
euphoniousmusic
Joined  10-05-2013
philwoodmusic - 28 November 2014 10:27 PM

Do you not usually connect your UR44 to your computer then?

All you need to do is connect the UR44 via USB to your computer and set up two audio tracks in a DAW (Cubase etc.) monitoring the inputs you have plugged your MOX8 and mic into and you should be good to go.

You can still listen via the same headphones output.

So far I am using it only as a mixer offline i.e. haven’t worked inside Cubase. Just now I tested if the audio is routed or not. It works great.

Now, I wan UR44 to route the audio to my computer and I want the routed audio stream to be heard through PC output. Is this possible?

I am doing all this because, I want to remove a bit of cluttering of wires by routing the mixed output to my PC which inturn is streamed wirelessly to my bluetooth headphones.

Please have a look at the routing diagram from the attachment.

Image Attachments
UR44.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 28, 2014 @ 10:56 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Is there a particular reason why you want audio routed out of your PC sound card? or a specific project aim?

I understand your diagram totally, but it is illogical in the world of DAWs.

The whole point of a nice interface like the UR44 is so you don’t have to do that.  It inputs your MOX8 and Mic whilst simultaneously outputting a stereo mix of everything - using a stereo output and 2 x stereo headphones outputs if need be.

I can give you a solution which is something I’d never advise anyone to do…

You could skip on the USB cable and use your UR44 as a mixer like you were doing, but simply plug the UR44’s analogue left and right outputs into your computer’s sound card input.  You’d be routing your whole interface to the audio input of your computer and as such it will be audible from your computer’s sound card outputs. (depending on software/windows mixer etc)

You retain the use of your UR44 headphones outputs too.

That’s all a bit like towing a Ferrari around with a Fiat but it would work, or plugging something high quality into something quite low quality.

I suppose I don’t really understand why anyone would want to do what you want to?

I’d LOVE to know though?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 28, 2014 @ 11:21 PM
euphoniousmusic
Joined  10-05-2013
philwoodmusic - 28 November 2014 10:56 PM

Is there a particular reason why you want audio routed out of your PC sound card? or a specific project aim?

I understand your diagram totally, but it is illogical in the world of DAWs.

The whole point of a nice interface like the UR44 is so you don’t have to do that.  It inputs your MOX8 and Mic whilst simultaneously outputting a stereo mix of everything - using a stereo output and 2 x stereo headphones outputs if need be.

I can give you a solution which is something I’d never advise anyone to do…

You could skip on the USB cable and use your UR44 as a mixer like you were doing, but simply plug the UR44’s analogue left and right outputs into your computer’s sound card input.  You’d be routing your whole interface to the audio input of your computer and as such it will be audible from your computer’s sound card outputs. (depending on software/windows mixer etc)

You retain the use of your UR44 headphones outputs too.

That’s all a bit like towing a Ferrari around with a Fiat but it would work, or plugging something high quality into something quite low quality.

I suppose I don’t really understand why anyone would want to do what you want to?

I’d LOVE to know though?

No crazy ideas Phil :).
All that I am trying to achieve is get the audio heard via my bluetooth headset. Because bluetooth is paired to my laptop, I want to have the audio from UR44 routed to my laptop to be transmitted to bluetooth.

Initially I thought of buying a bluetooth transmitter, hook it up to the UR44 mixer output. Any suggestions?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 28, 2014 @ 11:32 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Oh well in that case, my solution would work providing you have a sound input on your PC?

Pretty much most PCs do, your only issue might be finding a cable to connect the analogue outputs of the UR44 to it (in that you may not have one to hand and will need to get one)

The USB side of it is designed for DAW’s and Apps that support the interface that way and so you do not need a USB connection from the UR44 for this goal.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 28, 2014 @ 11:39 PM
euphoniousmusic
Joined  10-05-2013
philwoodmusic - 28 November 2014 11:32 PM

Oh well in that case, my solution would work providing you have a sound input on your PC?

Pretty much most PCs do, your only issue might be finding a cable to connect the analogue outputs of the UR44 to it (in that you may not have one to hand and will need to get one)

The USB side of it is designed for DAW’s and Apps that support the interface that way and so you do not need a USB connection from the UR44.

That’s a great idea. But, my system doesn’t have a port that hooks up the UR44 mixer output to my laptop. I have just USB port and a single 3.5mm port for audio + microphone
How can I transfer the audio output from UR44 to my laptop?

Please note that I am not using the Yamaha ASIO Driver. If I do, I don’t get to see my bluetooth. So I had to switch to the ASIO Full Duplex. Don’t know where this came from, works for now, just to listen. Not sure, if this is a good move.

I somehow managed to route all the output to my bluetooth head. Please take a look at the attachments. The latency is crazy. I am now stuck. I don’t want to buy a transmitter :(

Image Attachments
UR44-04.jpgUR44-03.jpgUR44-02.jpgUR44-01.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 28, 2014 @ 11:53 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Yes, I’m not surprised about the latency that way.

Same with a transmitter, I would expect latency that way too and I’m not sure you will ever escape latency in your quest, so the best you can hope for is to keep it to a minimum.

The more electronics you run it though, the more latent it will get.

The mic input on your computer would be the only chance really and you don’t know for sure that it won’t give you a latency problem either, perhaps a lot less than what you have now, though.

So you could try a cable that fits whatever the outputs are on your interface and the mic input on your PC.

Probably a twin jack to stereo mini jack cable. Then you can monitor it all through the windows mixer (or whatever windows has nowadays) and it will be sent via bluetooth.

Is a long headphones extension cable such a bad thing?

Is there also anything wrong with just plugging your mic into your MOX8’s A/D and just plugging headphones into your MOX8’s headphones socket?  That makes your computer and interface superfluous, but you’ll get what you want with no latency and it will sound great!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 29, 2014 @ 12:04 AM
euphoniousmusic
Joined  10-05-2013
philwoodmusic - 28 November 2014 11:53 PM

Yes, I’m not surprised about the latency that way.

Same with a transmitter, I would expect latency that way too and I’m not sure you will ever escape latency in your quest, so the best you can hope for is to keep it to a minimum.

The more electronics you run it though, the more latent it will get.

The mic input on your computer would be the only chance really and you don’t know for sure that it won’t give you a latency problem either, perhaps a lot less than what you have now, though.

So you could try a cable that fits whatever the outputs are on your interface and the mic input on your PC.

Probably a twin jack to stereo mini jack cable. Then you can monitor it all through the windows mixer (or whatever windows has nowadays) and it will be sent via bluetooth.

Is a long headphones extension cable such a bad thing?

Actually, I have been using the long extension male to female 3.5mm cable, however, the way my table is set up its getting very messy. and my laptop and MOX8 are perpendicular to each other.

So, you mean to say, I need to hook up the UR44 mixer output (male 3.5mm) to my microphone input of my laptop (3.5mm female) ? Is this legal to do like this?

Just to check, I have a USB to 3.5mm adapter, I plugged in the out from the UR44 mixer to the microphone input of the adapter? Couldn’t get to work it though.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 29, 2014 @ 12:10 AM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

I edited my post whilst you posted.

Sorry.

The part I added was simply this:

“Is there also anything wrong with just plugging your mic into your MOX8’s A/D and just plugging headphones into your MOX8’s headphones socket?  That makes your computer and interface superfluous, but you’ll get what you want with no latency and it will sound great!”

if you want to go the workaround suggestion route then you don’t need USB of any kind to do anything.

What you need is a cable that will go from your interface’s left and right analogue outputs to your PC sound cards mic input.

The outputs on the rear of your interface are labelled MAIN OUTPUT L and R.

Presumably your PC mic input is a 3.5 mm mini jack.

it’s legal, but it might not sound any good and you might still get latency from the electronics and bluetooth as well.

As I said, you can’t really escape latency with bluetooth.

it’s the ghetto workaround, if you like.

I don’t recommend it to anyone, but if it is your only shot, you can try it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 29, 2014 @ 12:40 AM
euphoniousmusic
Joined  10-05-2013
philwoodmusic - 29 November 2014 12:10 AM

I edited my post whilst you posted.

Sorry.

The part I added was simply this:

“Is there also anything wrong with just plugging your mic into your MOX8’s A/D and just plugging headphones into your MOX8’s headphones socket?  That makes your computer and interface superfluous, but you’ll get what you want with no latency and it will sound great!”

if you want to go the workaround suggestion route then you don’t need USB of any kind to do anything.

What you need is a cable that will go from your interface’s left and right analogue outputs to your PC sound cards mic input.

The outputs on the rear of your interface are labelled MAIN OUTPUT L and R.

Presumably your PC mic input is a 3.5 mm mini jack.

it’s legal, but it might not sound any good and you might still get latency from the electronics and bluetooth as well.

As I said, you can’t really escape latency with bluetooth.

it’s the ghetto workaround, if you like.

I don’t recommend it to anyone, but if it is your only shot, you can try it.

That’s actually a great idea with the microphone!
I just realized that I also have to hook up EWI output to UR44. So, I have no choice now. Actually the delay was not because of bluetooth. I guess it’s because the UR44 audio is routed via USB (I am assuming this is what’s happening), I have noticed a significant delay when I play MOX8.

I am now up with a couple of questions.
1. Are ASIO Duplex drivers better than Yamaha ASIOs ?
2. Yamaha MOX8 is connected via USB to my laptop and from the screenshot, I told the ASIO driver to route this audio to my computer directly, then why do I experience delay?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 29, 2014 @ 01:04 AM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

There isn’t a choice of driver, is there?  I’m pretty sure you can only use the correct Yamaha driver with the MOX8.

If you mean...what will the MOX8 driver versus the UR44 driver for latency be like, I doubt there will be much difference

A cable will be the easiest way of keeping the latency down.

You are very lucky if you do not encounter latency with the bluetooth headphones.

I would suggest that your latency in the screen capped situation comes mostly from the processing involved in the routing you have set up plus some from the bluetooth, so a combination of both really.

Maybe what you need is a new table or workstation desk?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 29, 2014 @ 01:48 AM
euphoniousmusic
Joined  10-05-2013
philwoodmusic - 29 November 2014 01:04 AM

There isn’t a choice of driver, is there?  I’m pretty sure you can only use the correct Yamaha driver with the MOX8.

If you mean...what will the MOX8 driver versus the UR44 driver for latency be like, I doubt there will be much difference

A cable will be the easiest way of keeping the latency down.

You are very lucky if you do not encounter latency with the bluetooth headphones.

I would suggest that your latency in the screen capped situation comes mostly from the processing involved in the routing you have set up plus some from the bluetooth, so a combination of both really.

Maybe what you need is a new table or workstation desk?

That’s partly right, I have my study table and keyboard orthogonal to each other. If I separate these two, it should be fine. Just got used to it :)

In the dropdown menu, I have 3 choices. ASIO Duplex, ASIO4All, Yamaha ASIO. I chose the ASIO Duplex works fine for my needs.

Thanks a ton for your help Phil. Much appreciated !!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 29, 2014 @ 02:07 AM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Another thing you could do is to connect your mic and your EWI (not sure what that is) to your UR44 using it purely as a mixer.

Connect UR44 main outputs to the A/D inputs on the MOX8 so the MOX mixes everything, then you get to hear all your gear.

You can use 5 pin din MIDI cables for MIDI to a small inexpensive MIDI interface and you can record any of it as audio using the MOX interface via USB to a DAW if you needed to.

Plug normal headphones into your MOX.

That may not work with your space but it would make a lot of sense.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ No sound from Ai7
Next Topic:

Wireless XF7 to Cubase Network Communication? ››