mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Trying to simulate sidechain compression on Mox"

Posted on: November 15, 2014 @ 07:25 PM
Redelectron
Total Posts:  2
Joined  04-08-2013

Hello,

I’m trying to simulate sidechain effect on my mox6 for a bass sequence in Trance music. I’ve tried by 2 ways:

1) By using LFO to modulate Amp enveloppe, but when i start the pattern, the LFO’s cycle don’t start at the beginning. Is it possible to reset the cycle to the beginning of pattern?

2) by using the Arp, with the “expression” control change… But it doesn’t sound like a compressor. Is there anybody who have succeed ?

Thanks

NB: my bass sequence is make with 16 semiquaver per measure

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 16, 2014 @ 08:32 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Hi Redelectron,

Welcome to Motifator.

Sorry to sound negative, but I’m not sure you’re ever going to be able to get that sound with just your keyboard.

The sound you want isn’t just the sound of a compressor, it’s the sound of a compressor listening to the input of another sound source and reacting to it.  The result of that is then imposed on the target audio, which in your case is your bass line.

Do you have any kind of DAW on your computer? (Cubase etc?) because you’d have a much easier time getting where you want to be.

The obvious way to get what you want would be to render your bass line as an audio track and set up a compressor plugin on it to react to whatever you need it to, which is probably a kick drum pattern. (as a pure guess)

If you don’t have any compressors, you could try and automate some EQ and get it to cut and boost in time.

I understand that it won’t sound exactly the same as a compressor reacting to another sound, but you might get it to sound similar with some care.  What it will do is change the colour of the sound a little just like a compressor and because an EQ is an amplifier, it will lower/raise the level of the audio in a similar way.

You could either use an EQ plugin or you could try and MIDI control the EQ on your MOX (if that is possible)

Cheers.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 17, 2014 @ 02:19 PM
Redelectron
Total Posts:  2
Joined  04-08-2013

Hi Philwwod

Thx for your answer : )

Yes, i have a DAW but I prefer to simulate sidechain effect with my synth (for Live session).

I’m trying by different ways and i hope that i could succeed…

If you or another guys have another ideas ...

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 17, 2014 @ 09:59 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

If keyboards could accurately recreate or actually let you achieve side chain ducking/pumping compression, then nobody would bother using dedicated compressors for that purpose.

Yet, everyone uses external compressors (plugins or hardware) for that particular trick.

The reason they do that is because the sound is way more complex than you are allowing for.

When the compressor reacts to the kick (or other key input sound) it not only changes the level of the target audio, but it imparts character and colour to the target audio, too.

Saying that you prefer to do that with just your keyboard is like saying you would prefer to swim in the sky.  I’m sure we all would, but it’s not going to happen.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ performance creator in mox
Next Topic:

MOX songs. ››