mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Track Muting via Scene in Master?"

Posted on: November 01, 2014 @ 12:12 AM
Michael Trigoboff
Total Posts:  647
Joined  09-05-2011

I have a Pattern that I’m currently working on. It has 3 lead instruments in tracks 6-8. I stored three Scenes:

•Scene 1: Tracks 6 and 8 muted.
•Scene 2: Tracks 6 and 7 muted.
•Scene 3: Tracks 7 and 8 muted.

I checked, and the three scenes changed the muting correctly.

I play this Pattern “live,” controlled from a Master, using Zones 2-4.

•Zone 2 sends MIDI channel 6.
•Zone 3 sends MIDI channel 7.
•Zone 4 sends MIDI channel 8.

Zones 2-4 cover the same area of the keyboard, and my plan was to let me pick which lead instrument I wanted to play by hitting Scene keys.

Two of the Scenes worked correctly from the Master, but the third did not. When I hit that Scene key, two of the lead instruments would play at once. I checked into why, and it turns out that in the two Scenes that worked correctly, I had set the volumes of the lead instruments I didn’t want to zero in addition to muting them. In the incorrect Scene, the two lead instruments that were playing simultaneously both had non-zero volumes.

I got things to work how I want them to by setting the volume of the instrument I didn’t want to zero and re-storing the Scene.

But I’m puzzled. I thought that muting a Track would prevent it from sending MIDI note events to the sound engine. But apparently that was not the case when playing my Pattern via a Master. I’m hoping to get some light shed on what’s happening so I can learn something new about my Motif XF.

Thanks…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 01, 2014 @ 11:51 AM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

Interesting set up. Sounds like you have indeed learned something there. What else are you looking to find out?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 01, 2014 @ 12:39 PM
DschoKeys
Total Posts:  109
Joined  07-08-2005

Hi Michael,

“Track Mute” only prevents a TRACK of the sequencer from sending MIDI data to the corresponding PART(S); Tracks transmit MIDI data, Parts receive MIDI data (from Tracks and/or from the keyboard). When muting a Track, you can still play the corresponding Part on the Keys.

Unfortunately, Part Mutes can not be stored with scenes. But what you could do is using XA Control to “activate” the voices. Set all Elements of the ...

- first lead Voice to “All AF off”
- second lead Voice “AF1 on”
- third lead Voice “AF2 on”

Now, when recalling the pattern, the first voice will sound by default. When you activate AF1, the second voice will sound. When you activate AF2, the third voice will sound.

When using this “workaround” you should also check if there are other functions assigned to the AF Buttons within these voices. If yes, you can deactivate or re-assign them in the “Control Set” (Ctrl Set). You can directly store these three voices as “Mix Voices” with your Pattern when using “VCE Edit”.

Best regards, :)
Jo

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 01, 2014 @ 12:53 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Michael Trigoboff - 01 November 2014 12:12 AM

[...]I thought that muting a Track would prevent it from sending MIDI note events to the sound engine. But apparently that was not the case when playing my Pattern via a Master. I’m hoping to get some light shed on what’s happening so I can learn something new about my Motif XF.

Thanks…

Related discussion came up in a somewhat different context, and about the MOX, but it’s still relevant:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/473648/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 05, 2014 @ 05:08 AM
DschoKeys
Total Posts:  109
Joined  07-08-2005

For more answers to the same question see here.

Best regards, ;)
Jo

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ I Didn’t back up before updating to OS 1.5
Next Topic:

Velo Growl Legato Tremolo? ››