mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "General MOTIF-RACK XS questions"

Posted on: October 26, 2014 @ 10:24 PM
unaHm
Total Posts:  1
Joined  10-26-2014

Dear all,

I’ve recently stumbled upon the Motif-Rack XS, and it’s a very interesting device!

I have a few questions:

1. Can I use more than one Drum Kit at a time? Or, is it restricted to only using MIDI channel 10?

2. Are there any alternatives to it? Anything newer, or (dare I say it) better within a similar budget?

3. Are there any websites or YouTube videos that show the Motif-Rack XS being used at its best? I’m particularly interested in seeing it being used from a sequencer, and it’s integration, as I am taking a more studio-based approach as opposed to live performance. Apart from the sounds themselves, I’d love to hear the results of the VCM effects!

4. Are there any plans for expansion cards other than the FW16e? I see that is the only card mentioned on the Yamaha website, but I was wondering if there were any plans to connect via AVB or some other kind of Ethernet based protocol, like with the mini-YGDAI cards.

5. What memory and expansion cards are recommended, or have been noted as the most successful?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kind Regards,

Dan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 08, 2014 @ 11:36 AM
SpongeBob
Total Posts:  1588
Joined  11-19-2006

There is exactly 1 person on earth that speaks English who understands how this curious device actually works. Find Bad Mister over at http://www.yamahasynth.com.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 08, 2014 @ 04:03 PM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007

1. Can I use more than one Drum Kit at a time? Or, is it restricted to only using MIDI channel 10?

Yes. You should be in Multi mode, and you could select 16 different voices on each MIDI channel.
Of course, every voice, if needed could be a drum kit.

2. Are there any alternatives to it? Anything newer, or (dare I say it) better within a similar budget?

If you thin about Rack, Motif Rack-XS is the latest product in rack variant, although it’s production started in 2008.

3. Are there any websites or YouTube videos that show the Motif-Rack XS being used at its best? I’m particularly interested in seeing it being used from a sequencer, and it’s integration, as I am taking a more studio-based approach as opposed to live performance. Apart from the sounds themselves, I’d love to hear the results of the VCM effects!

You could se some demonstration by Bert Smorenburg along with official video demo. Since VCM effects and voices are the same on Motif XS keyboard, you could also use videos by Phil Clendeninn that could be bought from this site.

4. Are there any plans for expansion cards other than the FW16e? I see that is the only card mentioned on the Yamaha website, but I was wondering if there were any plans to connect via AVB or some other kind of Ethernet based protocol, like with the mini-YGDAI cards.

Although Rack XS like Motif XS keyboard could use both FW16E and mLAN16E2, the first is better solution due to the newer driver and software support. But, if you have some older mLAN equipment and wish to connect it into the network, the second card should be you’d choice.
I think that there will be no plans for additional cards, since Rack XS is product from 2008. If Yamaha have plans for new rack device, maybe they have consider some other options, but that is question for them.

5. What memory and expansion cards are recommended, or have been noted as the most successful?

Rack XS doesn’t support any expansion card except FireWire (Fw16 or mLAN 16E2).

Alex

[ Ignore ]