mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XF with ipad and the app “Mobile Music Sequencer”"

Posted on: October 22, 2014 @ 02:57 PM
pokerface
Total Posts:  48
Joined  03-26-2012

Hallo!
To perform (as keyboarder who sings / one-man-band) with a Motif XF - supported by midifiles or motif-songs......
recognizing the problem of low internal sequencer-space
(~ 12 Midifiles and the RAM is occupied and then there’s a need to delete something which takes to long / please no discussion about this issue) .......
is it a possible solution using an ipad with the Yamaha-App “Mobile Music Sequencer”?

If so.....which ipad is recommended? I would like to prefere connection via network-cable.

Yours sincerely
Pokerface

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 23, 2014 @ 10:23 AM
pjd
Total Posts:  63
Joined  11-16-2013

Hi --

Even though I’m a fan of the Mobile Music Sequencer, I’m not sure that it’s the right tool for your needs.

MMS is oriented toward composition of MIDI loop-based music. It’s pretty good at that job and is fun to use. It works best with music that is highly structured and (somewhat) repetitive. Not to trash EDM, but MMS is aimed primarily for that genre. I’ve used MMS to put together some funk-jazz tracks. MMS handles the repetitive groove-oriented stuff OK, but a tune with a long multi-measure hook, meh.

MMS also has other limitations. You cannot import a MIDI file into it. I’ve recorded existing MIDI songs track-by-track into MMS (via MIDI clock), but this is laborious. If you have a lot of existing MIDI files and want to use them, MMS is not your tool. Also, MMS has only 8 tracks.

I occasionally blog about MMS at http://sandsoftwaresound.net/

BTW, I don’t think Cubasis is quite there yet for what you want to do. Cubasis needs to support external tone modules and workstations better (starting with patch names!)

Take care—pj

P.S. I have found a back door way to import new MIDI phrases, but it’s kind of nerdy.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 23, 2014 @ 11:13 AM
pokerface
Total Posts:  48
Joined  03-26-2012
pjd - 23 October 2014 10:23 AM

You cannot import a MIDI file into it.

My hopes are shot down - but good answer. 
Thanks a lot :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 26, 2014 @ 09:29 PM
SpongeBob
Total Posts:  1588
Joined  11-19-2006

You may want to give Ableton Live a try. You can download a free version that will give you an idea of what you can do and if it might work for your application.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 12, 2015 @ 02:51 PM
Apex
Total Posts:  683
Joined  10-21-2005

I am using this app as a quick and dirty way to record loops into my iPad and use them live… but I am not using the sounds from the Mobile Music Sequencer app.... I am sending the data externally to other sound sources (motif, m3, kronos) (not all of them at once… just testing them right now)

but the Mobile Music Sequencer is sending SOOOOOO much data at a section change that it is causing the music to pause or glitch for a very split second before the music continues.  It is a very very small timing issue, but it’s enough to throw a live performance off time considerably bad. 

Is there any way to fix this or a work around to this doesn’t happen…

I looked in the menus to see if it was possible to ask it not to send certain information but I don’t see anywhere to filter certain MIDI data out.  And even if I stop the external sound sources from receiving the info, it still doesn’t change the fact that app is sending the data… and that is what is causing the hiccup.  Any help or advise will be appreciated.

Thanks.

P.S....  this app still generates alot of hanging notes.  I have had this app since the day it came out and stopped using it because of the hanging notes...I came back to the app after considering a few things and now the hanging notes are getting to me again.  What causes this and how do you stop it… thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 20, 2015 @ 03:04 PM
Apex
Total Posts:  683
Joined  10-21-2005

?

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Removing previous version of cubase
Next Topic:

The original Motif XS forum is back! ››