mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Muted Tracks during Song Editing"

Posted on: October 20, 2014 @ 07:03 PM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

Every once in while, after Muting certain tracks while working out a Song (Recording, Mixing) I’m then unable to Unmute them. It’s like they’re holding the last Mute command and I can’t clear them and go back to, say, all tracks playing. I hit Mute, I hit Solo, back to Mute, press every track button, every combination I can think of and the tracks are just dead (although I can, of course, see the MIDI event data. However, the tracks don’t show an M over the top (another feature that I’m not entirely clear about btw), so I’m just stymied.

It seems like this is supposed to be a “feature” (holding Mutes even after you’ve come “out” of Record or whatever) and I’m just not grasping the logic of it. The only work around is to Save, then actually LEAVE the Song, toggle back, and then call it up again and then everything is audible again.

Can someone explain what’s happening, please?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 20, 2014 @ 08:12 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Both Tracks and Parts can be muted. Muting one is not the same as muting the other, although when a sequence is playing they will seem to have the same effect.

Tracks transmit MIDI data, Parts receive it. When you mute while in Song mode, you’re muting a Track - when in Mixing mode, you’re muting a Part. If you confuse the two, the operation will seem to be unpredictable.

If you mute a Track, even though the sequencer won’t play the associated Part, you can still play the Part via the keyboard. If you mute a Part, it can’t be played by either the keyboard or the sequencer.

Did that help, or make it more confusing?  :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 20, 2014 @ 08:39 PM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

Well, it’s an answer anyway. The distinction between Track and Part is certainly new to me. I will keep this in mind next time and see if the logic flows. It just seems odd that there would be NO way, short of saving and exiting, to simply go back to a default setting (all tracks lit) so you can start over with Muting choices. Guess that’s what you mean about it seeming “unpredictable”.

Also, can you describe how the M over the track feature is supposed to work? Cause It doesn’t seem that the M comes over every muted track, which you’d think should be the case regardless of mode, record or mix.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 20, 2014 @ 10:34 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
muscarella - 20 October 2014 08:39 PM

Well, it’s an answer anyway. The distinction between Track and Part is certainly new to me. I will keep this in mind next time and see if the logic flows.

Imagine a musician with an instrument (the Part) who has never played a certain piece before, so he needs to see the sheet music (the Track). If you take away the sheet music, the musician can’t play, so there’s no sound - the Track is muted. If you allow the musician to read the music, but not play the instrument, there’s no sound - the Part is muted.

There could be no sound for either reason, but they aren’t the same. If you don’t provide the sheet music (you mute the Track), but later want to hear the sound, telling the musician to play (making sure the Part is unmuted) won’t help. If you’ve told the musician not to play (mute the Part), making sure later that he has the sheet music (verifying the Track is unmuted) won’t help.

muscarella -

It just seems odd that there would be NO way, short of saving and exiting, to simply go back to a default setting (all tracks lit) so you can start over with Muting choices. Guess that’s what you mean about it seeming “unpredictable”.

I don’t have a MOX, I’ve got an XS and XF. With them, I haven’t experienced what you’ve described. If I mute a Track, I can unmute it. If I mute a Part, I can unmute it. I suspect that it’s the same with the MOX. If you don’t make the distinction between Track and Part “the operation will seem to be unpredictable”.

muscarella -

Also, can you describe how the M over the track feature is supposed to work? Cause It doesn’t seem that the M comes over every muted track, which you’d think should be the case regardless of mode, record or mix.

At least with the XS and XF, where the M appears depends on whether it’s a Track or a Part that’s been muted.

See the table on page 15 of the MOX Owner’s Manual, specifically the rows Song/Pattern Play and Song/Pattern Mixing under the When the [MUTE] button is turned on: column. Note that the first mutes Tracks, the second mutes Parts.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 20, 2014 @ 10:57 PM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

Very helpful. Bad Mister also PM’d me with info re: Part vs Track Mute function. I will get this yet!  Thanks to all.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 20, 2014 @ 11:25 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

I wish he would have posted the information here rather than PM you, it might have helped some others watching the thread.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 21, 2014 @ 07:39 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
muscarella - 20 October 2014 10:57 PM

Very helpful. Bad Mister also PM’d me with info re: Part vs Track Mute function. I will get this yet!  Thanks to all.

Please post what Bad_Mister PM’d, so that all forum members reading this thread can benefit.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 22, 2014 @ 03:17 PM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

Track Mute vs Part Mute

Track Mute is accessed by pressing [SONG] or [PATTERN] before hitting the [MUTE] button. The numbered buttons [1]-[16] mute and unMute the TRACK from transmitting.

Part Mute is accessed by pressing [MIXING] after entering Song or Pattern mode. The numbered buttons [1]-[16] mute and unMute the PART from receiving (sounding).

It may help you to think of the SEQUENCER (Tracks) as a separate device from the TONE GENERATOR (Parts)… connected by a MIDI cable.

Muting a Track stops the sequencer from transmitting. And therefore all connected devices on the MIDI channel will not sound.

Muting a MOX Part only stops that one Part from sounding, any other device on that channel or any external connected device would still sound.

Track Mute events can be stored to the Sequencer via the Pattern Chain’s “Track Mute” Track, or as events on the Song’s SCENE TRACK.

Part Mutes are always temporary and cannot be stored.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 22, 2014 @ 04:33 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
muscarella - 22 October 2014 03:17 PM

Track Mute vs Part Mute

Track Mute is accessed by pressing [SONG] or [PATTERN] before hitting the [MUTE] button. The numbered buttons [1]-[16] mute and unMute the TRACK from transmitting.

Part Mute is accessed by pressing [MIXING] after entering Song or Pattern mode. The numbered buttons [1]-[16] mute and unMute the PART from receiving (sounding).

It may help you to think of the SEQUENCER (Tracks) as a separate device from the TONE GENERATOR (Parts)… connected by a MIDI cable.

Muting a Track stops the sequencer from transmitting. And therefore all connected devices on the MIDI channel will not sound.

Muting a MOX Part only stops that one Part from sounding, any other device on that channel or any external connected device would still sound.

Track Mute events can be stored to the Sequencer via the Pattern Chain’s “Track Mute” Track, or as events on the Song’s SCENE TRACK.

Thanks for posting that.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 23, 2014 @ 01:33 AM
GrandMS
Total Posts:  41
Joined  07-27-2004
muscarella - 22 October 2014 03:17 PM

Track Mute vs Part Mute

Very good to know this !!!
I experienced the same, and could not understand it.
Thanks.

[ Ignore ]