mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Missing Firewire port - Computer and Motif XF connection"

Posted on: October 14, 2014 @ 05:06 AM
damir65
Total Posts:  13
Joined  10-05-2014

Hello everybody,

I am new owner of Motif XF and very happy with it. Exploring options available as extension to it, I have discovered mind blowing features when Motif XF is used with Cubase AI over Firewire Yamaha FW16E expansion board very nicely explained by Blake Angelos one of the great Yamaha gurus here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVmwf9B2SjQ

I would really like to hire advice from some of experienced power users what to do in my case.

I would like to expand my MOTIF with YAMAHA Firewire FX16E expansion board but problem starts on the other side.
For computer I am using my SONY VAIO SVS professional version laptop which is a great powerful machine with Intel CORE i7 processor, 12 GB RAM and SSD drive but it doesn’t have Firewire port.
It has HDMI instead.

I would really not like to change my computer for this particular reason.  Is there any other option you can advice guys how to make my setup? At this video Mr. Blake using Mac comp which I doubt it has FIREWIRE.
Is there any way around? Maybe some Audio interface would do the job, where MOTIF can be connected directly.  But in this case my concern is slow USB 3.0 connection in between audio interface and Computer might result with some glitches. Currently I am using Presonus AUDIOBOX USB connected to USB 3.0. port on my comp.
Secondly, is there any step by step manual how to setup MOTIF XF with CUBASE over Firewire port. No matter this forum is best thing company can do, sometimes I found myself frustrated searching for explanations how to setup my gear.
Your advice’s will be highly appreciated.

P.s.
I am sure many of you at forum will agree with me.
When you stick to the Hardware (instrument only), you get instantly creative. But… software ability and comfort of editing is so tempting that it is hard to say no to it.
As soon you want to take advantage of comfort on computer and software editing you become computer geek and not musician anymore which is bad. All creativity just stop’s there.
I purchase MOTIF XF for this reason. Before that I had some midi controler, Sound card,STUDIONE DAW and bunch of VST.  Spending hours and hours searching for just making own setup is really time consuming and frustrating. Yamaha solves this problem giving us solution when connect Hardware and DAW Cubase to work seamlessly and in harmony. 
But problem is elsewhere. 
I believe that Yamaha did great job overall and trying to take care of users. I was amazed when found myself purchasing all videos about motif XS and XF. Tell me which company succeed in that? Not so many right? They sell me user manual for 39$! WOW… this is really great achievement!
However, I appreciate they did that because this was very comfort way for me to learn instrument and it really help me. 
I believe that more of such a videos should be made for different situation like for example MOTIF - CUBASE setup. Now when I am asking about extend my MOTIF with FW and cubase, I am already afraid of frustration.  This would make us new gear users to get going really fast, enjoy our baby’s and get creative.
Dear Gurus, please take that in your consideration. 

Regards,
Danny

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 14, 2014 @ 09:05 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
damir65 - 14 October 2014 05:06 AM

[...]At this video Mr. Blake using Mac comp which I doubt it has FIREWIRE.

Recent Macs have Thunderbolt ports, and Apple has a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter available.

damir65 -

Secondly, is there any step by step manual how to setup MOTIF XF with CUBASE over Firewire port.[...]

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/motif_xf_ysfw_setup_windows_with_cubase

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/motif_xf_ysfw_setup_mac_with_cubase

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 14, 2014 @ 06:43 PM
mivey4
Total Posts:  79
Joined  12-02-2011

For computer I am using my SONY VAIO SVS professional version laptop which is a great powerful machine with Intel CORE i7 processor, 12 GB RAM and SSD drive but it doesn’t have Firewire port.
It has HDMI instead.

I would really not like to change my computer for this particular reason.  Is there any other option you can advice guys how to make my setup?

Unfortunately, unless there is some technology I am unaware of that will “effectively” port the firewire connection to anything that is going to be beneficial for you, there are not many alternatives.

Additionally, I wouldn’t expect that Yamaha would support that type of configuration if it were possible.

There do exist Firewire to USB converters but IMHO that would be a waste of time and effort. The data traveling along the cable is only going to be as fast as the slowest protocol as a general rule.

In other words, even if you were to consider (which I’d hope not) to implement some type of converter; lets say for example a Firewire-to-USB converter and get it to work. You’re only going to achieve the data transfer rate of the USB portion of the connection anyway. And that speed wouldn’t likely sustain an acceptable transfer rate for adequate and efficient support of streaming Audio; which kind of defeats the whole purpose.

If you want to leverage the ability to record Audio and MIDI via Firewire but don’t want to change your computer; you should consider acquiring a desktop solution allowing the ability to install additional Firewire Ports via a Firewire Card as a possible alternative.

If you’re only interested in a Robust alternative to MIDI recording and data transfer, you could use the USB to HOST connection with a USB cable.

5pinDIN has probably given you what would likely be the same answer most members would provide.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 14, 2014 @ 07:23 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
mivey4 - 14 October 2014 06:43 PM

[...]5pinDIN has probably given you what would likely be the same answer most members would provide.

Just to clarify my reply…
I’m not a “Mac guy”, and I wasn’t endorsing getting a Mac - the answer I gave was only an explanation of how a recent Mac could interface to Firewire.

I’m also not a “laptop/notebook guy” either. The computers I use are all older desktop PCs, mainly because they either have the ports I need on the mother board, or have slots where I can use a card with the needed port.

As mivey4 mentioned, getting a desktop model and Firewire card might be the way to go. It doesn’t have to be the very latest model, and (especially if used) doesn’t have to be too expensive.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 15, 2014 @ 09:17 AM
I_Too_Say_So_Long
Total Posts:  728
Joined  09-20-2011

I agree… many people have a couple of ‘Macs’, as well as several Yamaha keyboards.
Now may be your time as well.
The Motif is wireless too you know.
There’s many posts throughout this Forum about the iPad.
(Black Friday is just around the corner.... sometimes as much as $50 or more off, and if you have a Discover Card, they offer 5% cash back through their ‘SHOP DISCOVER’ program… all that’s needed is transferring to the Apple Store.com from Discover’s page first.
Tomorrow, btw, is a big Apple announcement about the iPads.
...I only wish they took phone calls too! :-)

(I’m probably going to get one. I’ve never owned an iOS device. Some friends are having too much fun with INSTAGRAM. :)

I don’t know anything about HDMI connections yet,
...all of our tv’s are ancient.
... I’m guessing that’s what they’re about.
---------------
ADDED After;
I don’t own an iPad (yet) nor run wirelessly with music productions.
(We’re intrigued by iPad because the iPhone is too small and expensive overall)
Hard wiring, in my opinion, is more consistent than wifi, in some applications/locations.
We use a couple of iMac desktops with Cubase7, and two Xf’s with FW Expansion boards, Belkin FW cables.

...Be Blest Always…
-----------
This just came in…
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/talkingtech/2014/10/14/what-to-look-for-in-new-ipads/17203271/?csp=tech

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 21, 2014 @ 04:28 AM
damir65
Total Posts:  13
Joined  10-05-2014

Thank you all guys for your support. I decided to buy second hand iMac for this purpose with two thunderbolt inputs.
This will work for sure and at the same time my PC laptop will be free of some huge data (all music software and library’s) carried now by my laptop tiny disc.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Sound Envelope Sync with Tempo?
Next Topic:

There is no SOUND! ››