mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Best Speaker for Motif XF6"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: September 27, 2014 @ 08:31 AM
videoman123
Total Posts:  16
Joined  04-07-2011

Hi everyone.  I just bought a Motif XF6 a few months ago and a Roland KC350 Keyboard Amplifier.  The sound seems clear when using a pair of Sennheiser headphones, but I haven’t been happy when using the amp.  Piano patches sound muffled and even brighter voices (like Galaxy DX) don’t sound clean.  I am using a pair of $30 TRS instrument cables - nothing expensive.

I called Sweetwater yesterday and was told that I will get much better results if I use Studio monitor speakers.  He specifically recommended Focal Alpha 80 ($1100 for the pair).  I’m not gigging with this board, and only looking for great sound for home enjoyment.  Any thoughts would be really appreciated.  Thanks, Mitch.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2014 @ 11:09 AM
John M.
Total Posts:  46
Joined  12-07-2008

Hi Mitch,

I am more than happy with my KRK Rokit 5 G3 (studiomonitor) which will cost +/- $ 350,00 (EUR 275,00) overhere for the pair....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2014 @ 11:09 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Without getting into whether the KC-350 sounds good or not, the issue is probably more that you’re running in mono. Running in stereo with any decent pair of speakers would likely sound better.

By the way, the XF has unbalanced outputs, and you should be using TS cables.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2014 @ 11:33 AM
dcool
Total Posts:  426
Joined  11-01-2006

Just one Yamaha DXR10 will blow you away with its sound.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2014 @ 11:41 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
dcool - 27 September 2014 11:33 AM

A Yamaha DXR10 certainly might sound better than a Roland KC-350, but mono operation significantly impacts the sound of any Voices that are in stereo, as well as effects that depend on two channels, due to phase cancellation.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2014 @ 11:50 AM
dcool
Total Posts:  426
Joined  11-01-2006
5pinDIN - 27 September 2014 11:41 AM

A Yamaha DXR10 certainly might sound better than a Roland KC-350, but mono operation significantly impacts the sound of any Voices that are in stereo, as well as effects that depend on two channels, due to phase cancellation.

It has stereo switch and inputs ;-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2014 @ 01:01 PM
videoman123
Total Posts:  16
Joined  04-07-2011

Thanks to everyone for the feedback!

@5pinDIN I am currently connecting to the KC350 using 2 instrumental cables from the left and right channels.  I know I am only using one speaker, but wouldn’t I have some of the benefits of stereo?

Besides the KRKs, any thoughts on decent stereo monitors?  Like I said, I was advised to go with Focal Alpha 80,, but I’m not sure if the Yamaha would be a better choice.

Mitch

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2014 @ 01:21 PM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011

Summing two signals to one destination is like listening to AM radio, or being deaf in one ear.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2014 @ 07:46 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
dcool - 27 September 2014 11:50 AM

The DXR10 has a built-in mixer. If you use two cables (L and R channels), with the switch in the MONO position a single DXR10 will output a mono mix of the two channels. If you put the switch in the STEREO position, the DXR10 will only output what’s applied to the L/MONO input - the signal at the R input won’t be reproduced.

A mono mix of the two channels could just as easily be accomplished with a single cable from the XF’s L/MONO output to the DXR10’s L/MONO input.

Either way, it’s mono.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2014 @ 07:55 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
videoman123 - 27 September 2014 01:01 PM

@5pinDIN I am currently connecting to the KC350 using 2 instrumental cables from the left and right channels.  I know I am only using one speaker, but wouldn’t I have some of the benefits of stereo?

Sorry, but no. A built-in mixer is just a convenience.

Undoubtedly there are situations where it’s impractical to have two-channel sound, but mono is a compromise that should be avoided if possible.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 07, 2014 @ 11:50 AM
emcveigh
Total Posts:  1
Joined  06-08-2011

I too had the Roland KC 350. I was also disappointed in the sound especailly the Hammond and Roland voices. They were fantastic in the headphones but just not very good into the Roland. I even thought about getting a second KC 350 as I thought is was just a stereo thing. But the thought of lugging 2 of those monsters was daunting. after much research I went with the one DXR-10. The difference in sound quality / accuracy is amazing! Plus it’s a LOT easier to carry around. But I was still looking for that Stereo vibe. So I broke down and got a second DXR-10 ( traded the KC-350 for it) Wow, what a positive difference. Fantastic upgrade.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 13, 2014 @ 08:05 PM
JazzGtr
Total Posts:  6
Joined  09-20-2014
5pinDIN - 27 September 2014 07:46 PM
dcool - 27 September 2014 11:50 AM

The DXR10 has a built-in mixer. If you use two cables (L and R channels), with the switch in the MONO position a single DXR10 will output a mono mix of the two channels. If you put the switch in the STEREO position, the DXR10 will only output what’s applied to the L/MONO input - the signal at the R input won’t be reproduced.

A mono mix of the two channels could just as easily be accomplished with a single cable from the XF’s L/MONO output to the DXR10’s L/MONO input.

Either way, it’s mono.

I’m using a pair of Mackie 550 SRM monitors for my XF 7 and XF8 through a Mackie Pro FX8. The great thing about this speaker is the abilitity to switch from PA speakers to stage monitors, solo voice or DJ output . Very versatile and great dynamic range. The stereo image coming from both XF boards is unbelievable. 

Yamaha generally are not known for their organ patches. But after switching from mono keyboard amp to a pair of these speakers, I’m loving all of the organ patches like Draw Bar.

Spending the additional $,$$$$ to make my Motifs sound their best was the second best decision I made.

Forget using expensive studio monitors.

No regrets!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 14, 2014 @ 12:35 AM
anotherscott
Total Posts:  653
Joined  06-30-2010

A DXR10 (or other quality PA-style powered speaker) will certainly be better than a KC350 (and personally, for a natural piano sound, I like the EV ZXa1 even better than the DXR10), but if you’re not gigging, I think you’re probably better off with studio monitors than *any* of the PA style cabs. And while mono is often a sensible way to go for gigging (as recently discussed in another thread), for home/studio use, there’s no reason not to go stereo.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 14, 2014 @ 01:54 AM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
anotherscott - 14 October 2014 12:35 AM

...but if you’re not gigging, I think you’re probably better off with studio monitors than *any* of the PA style cabs....

If one is recording, studio reference monitors make a lot of sense.

However, if you are playing for pleasure...in essence “gigging for yourself and/or friends at home or rehearsal studio”, IMHO reference monitors (by design) are going to be a bit brutal (and have a very small sweet spot) for those desiring amp/speakers that make the instrument sound as “good” as possible for live playing/jamming/rehearsal enjoyment.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 14, 2014 @ 02:30 AM
anotherscott
Total Posts:  653
Joined  06-30-2010
cmayhle - 14 October 2014 01:54 AM

If one is recording, studio reference monitors make a lot of sense.

However, if you are playing for pleasure...in essence “gigging for yourself and/or friends at home or rehearsal studio”, IMHO reference monitors (by design) are going to be a bit brutal (and have a very small sweet spot) for those desiring amp/speakers that make the instrument sound as “good” as possible for live playing/jamming/rehearsal enjoyment.

Good point, cmayhle. The OP said “I’m not gigging with this board, and only looking for great sound for home enjoyment” but there is still variation in what that means. Is he going to be in a stationery location, one that he can easily arrange to be in the sweet spot? Is he ever going to want to jam with other live musicians, even in his home? You’re right, there are still going to be pros and cons to different kinds of speakers, even taking gigging out of the equation.

I might only take some issue with the monitors being brutal. There are a range of monitor-style speakers, which probably vary as much as PA speakers do. But PA speakers, by design, are intended to create a lot of output and to be able to project to significant distance, and if you don’t need that, for a more moderate level and closer listening, I think you can get a flatter and more open sounding (and possibly quieter) result from something that isn’t first designed as a PA cabinet, if for no other reason than the pros and cons of a horn design for the tweeter as is used in the PA cabs.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 14, 2014 @ 09:18 AM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

Well, “brutal” is perhaps not the best word I could have used.  The contrast I was attempting to draw is that a reference monitor by design is not intended to help you produce a “good” sound, rather to very accurately reproduce what it is being fed.

I realize this is a subtle distinction.

What I infer when someone is looking for a “good” amp/speaker (again, in a non-recording application) is that they desire the most pleasing live sound they can project in the space.  A quality set of stereo PA boxes (such as DXR10’s and certainly others) fits this task better than a pair of reference monitors, again stressing that this is only my opinion, coming from my own experience.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Available Book Resources
Next Topic:

Where do you rename a Song on XF8??? ››