mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOXF6 vs MX61 Need advice"

Posted on: September 26, 2014 @ 08:03 PM
Drums&
Total Posts:  14
Joined  01-23-2014

I am retired aerospace engineer.  By my handle that you see I was a pro drummer for 18 years through the 60’s until 1983.  I recently purchased a Hammond SK2, JBL 305s near field monitors and a Yamaha MG10XU mixer for my home studio.  I know that there is a sequencer in the MOXF. The MX61 does not.  If I have cubase running on a laptop hooked up to my MX61 what am I losing out on by not having the built in sequencer?
MOXF = $1200 MX = $700.

2nd senario: I purchase a MOXF8 and a MX61 then can I use the MOXF8 as my controller and workstation and utilize the MX61 for it’s syn velocity keyboard and save myself $500 vs the MOXF6?

Thanks,

Bill

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 30, 2014 @ 06:21 AM
min3008
Total Posts:  129
Joined  12-08-2012

Hi Bill. I’ve tried the mx6 and I have to say I didn’t like it anywhere near as much as the motifs or mox series. I currently have the moxf6 which is super light and I just pop it in my mox bag that goes over my shoulders like a back pack. I have used logic for years but I purchased the video on the mox and now I think it’s just easier and more convenient to compose without a computer if it’s just synth sounds. Now I figure why bother connecting computers, sound cards, wires, deal with midi data communication issues etc when it’s easy to create on the synth? Good luck with your choice. I prefer the feel of weighted keys but the moxf8 is still not portable in my eyes.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 30, 2014 @ 10:56 AM
anotherscott
Total Posts:  653
Joined  06-30-2010
Drums& - 26 September 2014 08:03 PM

I know that there is a sequencer in the MOXF. The MX61 does not.  If I have cubase running on a laptop hooked up to my MX61 what am I losing out on by not having the built in sequencer?
MOXF = $1200 MX = $700.

I’m sure there are some people who prefer the workflow of the internal sequencer, that’s probably very subjective. I think the bigger things that you’re losing out on have nothing to do with the sequencer. The MOXF has the full 741 mb Motif XF sound set, the MX has a very scaled down 166 mb version. (You can also put a flash card into the MOXF and then increase the sound set even further.) The MOXF lets you put a pair of effects on each of up to 8 sounds simultaneously, the MX lets you put a single effect on each of up to 4 sounds. Then there’s the difference in real-time controls… 8 knobs, 3 foot controllers, 2 AF buttons on the MOXF, vs. 4, 2, and 0 on the MX. And so on… the screen, the editing functions, the MIDI functionality… The MX is great for the price and for doing the things it’s intended to do, but it’s a pale shadow of the MOXF in overall capability.

Drums& - 26 September 2014 08:03 PM

2nd senario: I purchase a MOXF8 and a MX61 then can I use the MOXF8 as my controller and workstation and utilize the MX61 for it’s syn velocity keyboard and save myself $500 vs the MOXF6?

If you want to be able to play MOXF8 sounds from a synth action keyboard, you don’t need to use a MOXF6 or an MX61, you can use any board with a standard MIDI Out jack. There’s no need to duplicate the MOXF8 sounds in your other board. You could get a low cost soundless controller, or a board with sounds from another manufacturer to expand your sonic palette. For something that would really complement the MOXF, kind of “filling in its gaps,” you might consider a virtual analog (or real analog) synth or a “clonewheel” organ, if either of those appeal to you. Or you might like the expressivity of something with aftertouch. Yet another possibility is to flip it around and get the MOXF6 and some other 88 that can be used as a controller, which (depending on what you choose) can sometimes be cheaper than a MOXF8 or might give you an action you prefer, or access to some other sounds or control capabilities you like. There are all kinds of ways to combine two boards to achieve the sounds and functionality someone may want.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 30, 2014 @ 11:41 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

Your scenario #2 seems odd...why have both a MOXF8 and a MOXF6. Total overkill.

You can use your Hammond to play the MOXF8 over MIDI when you don’t want piano action keys, no need for another board.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 30, 2014 @ 11:56 AM
anotherscott
Total Posts:  653
Joined  06-30-2010

Oh right, silly me, I mentioned the clonewheel option and completely glossed over the fact that you already have an SK2! Right, as meatballfulton said, you can use that to trigger your MOXF8 sounds from an unweighted action. If you’re into synth playing, it would have been better if the SK2 had pitch/mod wheels at hand, but maybe that’s not a factor. You can also set it up so that you can still use the MOXF wheels on the sound while playing it from the SK2, though the SK2 being kind of big, I’m not sure how those ergonomics would work out in terms of where you would put the boards relative to one another for best access to everything at once, you might need to put some extra thought into just what kind of stand(s) you want to use.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Pattern Mode Frustration!
Next Topic:

Can I mix my vocal with vocoder effect? ››