mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Pattern Mode Frustration!"

Posted on: September 26, 2014 @ 04:45 PM
tDogg
Total Posts:  54
Joined  09-05-2012

Hopefully someone will have an explanation for this bizare behaviour.

Basically I am recording in pattern mode. Nothing complicated, but even the simplest bit of recording seems to be causing issues here which I cannot get my head around!

I’ve recorded sections A-H fine without problems. I come to record section I and hit a problem.

I have a kick drum on part 10 which I’ve used on most sections from A-H - all recorded fine.

I come to record a kick drum on Section I (on track 10) using replace mode on record.
When I play back section I the kick has been added as expected.

When I play back section H, the kick drum has also recorded to section H

When I play back section G, the violin that I have assinged to part 8 has also recorded the same beat I recorded for the kick drum.

So to summarise, I have recorded part 10 on section I, but this has also triggered the recording of part 10 in section H and part 8 in section G simultaneously.

WTF?

I cannot understand why this is happening and its really frustrating the hell out of me now!

I hope I’ve described the problem well enough here.

I’ve tried this recording scenario on another blank pattern and it doesn’t happen. Is there something faulty with pattern no 5?

I don’t recall having this problem with my MotifXS!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2014 @ 04:28 AM
tDogg
Joined  09-05-2012

So is this a bug in the firmware? Anyone else had a similar problem?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2014 @ 09:38 AM
Edubb
Total Posts:  2
Joined  05-10-2013

This same exact thing happen to me last night.  Recorded on Pattern A-D...went back to take a listen to A and heard strings and sax from Pattern C.  This is the first time this has happened.  Don’t know what the deal is with it.

~EDubb

“When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, “I used everything YOU gave me.”

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2014 @ 01:33 PM
Jeff R 50
Total Posts:  159
Joined  01-11-2014

tdogg, did you play the kick drum part manually or did you use an arp pattern? Not sure if that matters but I don’t see how else your violin part would be playing the same as the kick drum unless there was an arp pattern associated with that voice/track, etc.  I have had similar frustrations with my MOXF8 and I just muddle through and find other ways to do things that work better for me such as recording the entire drum track in the pattern mode and then copying the pattern to a Song.  It seems easier that way because you can use the pattern mode arp buttons (SF1 through SF6) to build and create the entire drum track much easier.  Once its in the Song mode, you can easily edit, add and delete measures to tweak it.  I find it easier to then build my songs in the sequencer in the Song mode.  Not saying this is the best way to do it, just what works for me.  Hang in there man.  Eventually we will all figure this keyboard out : )

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2014 @ 01:55 PM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

This sounds very odd and first thoughts are that you may, obviously inadvertently, have instructed the MOXF to do this. Bugs are certainly possible but I’d still say that is unlikely. Are you fully OK with the concept of ‘phrases?’ Each separate item that MOXF records - be it a single bar drum fill or a 24 bar solo is stored as a ‘phrase’ which can then be called up and used in different Sections. In other words, if you record a really nice drum fill in Section I, you can simply insert that phrase (the fill) into Section H without a) having to re-record it and b) therefore having to take up any additional sequence memory.

Neat feature though this is, it is possible to get into trouble because if you subsequently change (overdub, edit etc) a phrase in Section I, then any other Section in which that phrase was being used will also change. Even if you didn’t want that to happen. That’s just how it works.

Without fully knowing what you did or what happened in this instance, it may well either be something do with phrases, or possibly recording with arpeggios, or even just simple slip of the fingers when it comes to which Section you were recording on. Accidents are extremely easy to happen on the MOXF, even when you do, basically, know how to do stuff, which, as a former Motif XS owner, you probably do. Even so, one always needs to be careful and accurate with what you are telling all ‘Motifs’ to do.

I doubt this will instantly provide you with the solution here but hopefully it will give you places to investigate. As mentioned, bugs are possible to discover, but…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2014 @ 08:43 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

I don’t have an explanation of what’s happening, but this MOX thread seems to be related:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/473188/

It might be time for someone to call Yamaha support and ask them.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 02, 2014 @ 08:16 AM
tDogg
Joined  09-05-2012
Jeff R 50 - 27 September 2014 01:33 PM

tdogg, did you play the kick drum part manually or did you use an arp pattern? Not sure if that matters but I don’t see how else your violin part would be playing the same as the kick drum unless there was an arp pattern associated with that voice/track, etc.  I have had similar frustrations with my MOXF8 and I just muddle through and find other ways to do things that work better for me such as recording the entire drum track in the pattern mode and then copying the pattern to a Song.  It seems easier that way because you can use the pattern mode arp buttons (SF1 through SF6) to build and create the entire drum track much easier.  Once its in the Song mode, you can easily edit, add and delete measures to tweak it.  I find it easier to then build my songs in the sequencer in the Song mode.  Not saying this is the best way to do it, just what works for me.  Hang in there man.  Eventually we will all figure this keyboard out : )

Hey Jeff.
the kick was recorded manually - no arps involved

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 02, 2014 @ 08:23 AM
tDogg
Joined  09-05-2012
MrMotif - 27 September 2014 01:55 PM

This sounds very odd and first thoughts are that you may, obviously inadvertently, have instructed the MOXF to do this. Bugs are certainly possible but I’d still say that is unlikely. Are you fully OK with the concept of ‘phrases?’ Each separate item that MOXF records - be it a single bar drum fill or a 24 bar solo is stored as a ‘phrase’ which can then be called up and used in different Sections. In other words, if you record a really nice drum fill in Section I, you can simply insert that phrase (the fill) into Section H without a) having to re-record it and b) therefore having to take up any additional sequence memory.

Neat feature though this is, it is possible to get into trouble because if you subsequently change (overdub, edit etc) a phrase in Section I, then any other Section in which that phrase was being used will also change. Even if you didn’t want that to happen. That’s just how it works.

Without fully knowing what you did or what happened in this instance, it may well either be something do with phrases, or possibly recording with arpeggios, or even just simple slip of the fingers when it comes to which Section you were recording on. Accidents are extremely easy to happen on the MOXF, even when you do, basically, know how to do stuff, which, as a former Motif XS owner, you probably do. Even so, one always needs to be careful and accurate with what you are telling all ‘Motifs’ to do.

I doubt this will instantly provide you with the solution here but hopefully it will give you places to investigate. As mentioned, bugs are possible to discover, but…

Thanks MrMotif for your response.
Yes I’m familiar with Phrases and I did actually undo my work and try re-doing it several times to make sure I was recording to the right section. Also, when I remove the unwanted violin from one of my sections I do this by recording again (using replace) and just letting the recorder run for less than a measure - that usually erases the violin track, but it also erases the kick track on the other section. So its almost as if these two parts are somehow connected between the two sections.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 04, 2014 @ 10:23 PM
CalebDrew
Total Posts:  5
Joined  07-22-2014

Yes it does seem like the two tracks become linked. Same problem. No ARPs. No copying of phrases. Multiple tracks infected. Haunted keyboard I tell you. :(

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 06, 2014 @ 05:21 PM
tDogg
Joined  09-05-2012

The problem also happens when I copy the track from a different secion (e.g. kick drum from section A to H) triggers the violin in the other section.

Managed to resolve this by copying the entire pattern to a new pattern template and was able to continue recording the rest of my parts and sections without the problem. Maybe a corrupt pattern in there or something? Who knows.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 06, 2014 @ 06:59 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Since this issue appears to be easy enough to describe, and is repeatable,
I’ll quote myself from a previous post in this thread idea.gif...

5pinDIN - 28 September 2014 08:43 PM

It might be time for someone to call Yamaha support and ask them.

I really don’t understand why there’s such reluctance to do that.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 10, 2016 @ 08:40 PM
highlandstudio69
Total Posts:  11
Joined  08-04-2016

After reading through this thread,it has me wondering,if I should return my MOXF61.
Thus far,I haven’t even delved into the pattern recording enough to run into this problem(as I am having a lot of trouble understanding the pattern section.)

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Please help set up to receive midi program changes
Next Topic:

MOXF6 vs MX61 Need advice ››