mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Shared folders gone after OS X Mavericks upgrade"

Posted on: September 21, 2014 @ 07:45 PM
rikdeckers
Total Posts:  22
Joined  01-14-2012

Hi everyone,

I’m using a cross over network cable to connect my Macbook Pro to my Motif XF.
Everything worked fine till I upgraded from OS X Snow Leopard to OS X Mavericks.

I can mount (I use 1.1.1.1 for MBP and 1.1.1.2 for Motif XF). 
I enter username and password for the MBP on the Motif XF.
It accepts it, no error message. 

Before (when using Snow Leopard) I used to get a list of SHARED FOLDERS.
Now I don’t… Empty list…

However on the MBP, the led in network is green “Ethernet connected”, I see the Motif XF in my finder, ...  So definitely connected.

My Folder on MBP, called _Motif-XF is “Shared Folder” and “Everyone” has “Read & Write” access. 

What to do in order to get the SHARED FOLDERS back into the XF ?

Thanks in advance !

Rik

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 22, 2014 @ 08:23 AM
digitalperformer7
Total Posts:  253
Joined  12-07-2011

Remember to backup your data, first. Then do all experiments you want.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 26, 2014 @ 06:04 AM
rikdeckers
Joined  01-14-2012

hi digitalperformer7,

I think yo missunderstand my issue.
I didn’t lose any data.  The connection between my Motif and MBP is not working.  It is not showing the shared folders, it used to show. 

Anyone else an idea ??

Thanks in advance…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 26, 2014 @ 10:07 AM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Hi,

This has already been suggested by yamahaFans in your other thread.

Have you set up file sharing in your new installation of Mavericks?  A fresh installation will always have those things severely limited or even off.

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/473395

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2014 @ 05:01 PM
mivey4
Total Posts:  79
Joined  12-02-2011

Hi rikdeckers!

I was making a post and ran across yours. So out of curiosity I wanted to see what type of responses you got for your issue and as I thought; no one has really been able to give the answer you need.

So.... I had the same problem and struggled troubleshooting the issues for days that turned to weeks without any resolve. It isn’t that the answer isn’t out there, its just not very obvious.

I discovered the root cause of the issue when I decided to use another one of my MacBooks that had the latest version of Lion installed prior to the release of Mavericks. When I hooked it up to the Motif all my shared directories were immediate detected and I was able to mount them.

When I reconnected my Macbook with Mavericks installed, the connection was made but the Shares were again gone. I confirmed my Shares were set up correctly on Mavericks and the device did connect because it actually saw my Macbook Pro and prompted for my User name and Password but it could not see the shares.

So I found the issue to be the new SMB2 file system that Apple released with Mavericks. The Yamaha XF8 uses Samba (SMB) to see other compatible devices using that protocol, but it simply won’t work with SMB2 which is the default on Mavericks.

In fact, the Share issue has been noted by users connecting other Macs so its not just the XF8.

I have identified several recommended hacks floating around that some have claimed to have resolved the problem in some cases and others say the problem persists for them. I’ve listed a few links for you:

http://www.zdnet.com/mavericks-smb2-problem-and-fixes-7000022519/
http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/107544/since-upgrading-to-os-x-mavericks-i-cant-open-any-files-on-a-smb-share-from-my

But I tried every option mentioned without success. So my fix was to use VMWare Fusion and install Mountain Lion.

When I now connect my XF8 it sees both the Virtual and actual machine, but I can now connect to the VM running Mountain Lion. So I set up a Share that I can connect to from my Macbook and save and transfer data from the XF8 to the VM and retrieve and transfer from the VM to the Macbook.

Yeah, its a pain I know.... but it was either that or revert everything back to Mountain Lion and loose a lot of stuff including new apps that I’d installed.

Hopefully Apple will get enough complaints to fix the issue in one of their upcoming releases but until then, good luck my friend.

Hope this helps!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2014 @ 05:05 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Cool…

I’m not the thread author though and don’t have any problems.

I’m pretty sure you mean rikdeckers, though.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2014 @ 05:09 PM
mivey4
Joined  12-02-2011

Ooops! Thanks for the heads up. I edited the response to address the author of the post.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2014 @ 01:06 PM
I_Too_Say_So_Long
Total Posts:  728
Joined  09-20-2011
mivey4 - 27 September 2014 05:01 PM

So I found the issue to be the new SMB2 file system that Apple released with Mavericks. The Yamaha XF8 uses Samba (SMB) to see other compatible devices using that protocol, but it simply won’t work with SMB2 which is the default on Mavericks.
Hopefully Apple will get enough complaints to fix the issue in one of their upcoming releases but until then, good luck my friend.
Hope this helps!

I think this is a ‘shared’ companies responsibility when each company says “They Listen To Customers’ Issues and Suggestions”.

You all may know this already,
In the Sharing Preferences for Macs,
SMB is for other users, using pc platforms. (the XF)
APF is for Mac platforms.
----------------------------
Off topic with the following,
It is never a good idea to risk corrupting a computer by returning to a former running system,
or not updating immediately to the most current, offering the latest security.
This applies to Yamaha products firmwares as well.
CBS NEWS
I always rely on my expected abilities for creativity
that everyone assumes I possess
to find a ‘work around’ for old habits that quite possibly could be changed,
maybe should be changed anyway,
to a more surprisingly convenient better way.  :-)
Example;
The integration of Cubase 7.5 and the Motif Xf is what we use.
It seemed like a daunting task to deal with that learning curve…
but like every other learning process,
looking back is our reward. :)
There are several other ways to allow computer to XF communication,
but that’s just the one I thought was the most interesting.
Probably another little factoid, that all already know as well,
Yamaha and Steinberg/Cubase
are the same company.
... just say’ n ...
Marc

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2014 @ 02:36 PM
mivey4
Joined  12-02-2011

For the record YamahaFans, I totally concur with you that the responsibility of this sort is definitely a “shared” companies responsibility to ensure best efforts of compatibility between products. A gap that has for the most part been seamlessly closed as you pointed out of Yamaha, Steinberg and Cubase.

But I don’t believe that removing known compatible protocols and introducing new ones within a Product Release (or Upgrade in this case) without having fully testing and assessing the risks (and especially among your own previously released products); was a very smart choice.

The issue arising between the XF8 and SMB2 in this case “may” or then maybe not have been avoided by Apples decision to force its users to a new protocol during the upgrade process. However, in lieu of the fact that MacBooks can no longer connect to other MacBooks without workarounds exemplifies somewhat of a lack of research and due diligence to assess the repercussions of the newly released OSX.

Even if a company were to be considered proprietary in any respect (of which I am not implying); still I would not think that they’d opt to shoot their own self in the foot by introducing an obstacle (such as a new networking protocol) without forewarning to the user that they’d have to change the way their OWN products communicate with each other. Or maybe even unconcern forcing users to simply deal with it.

Also, I am a software developer and security releases can be deployed without forcing an OS upgrade.

Just a little food for thought…
Obviously, it simply is what it is

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2014 @ 03:01 PM
I_Too_Say_So_Long
Total Posts:  728
Joined  09-20-2011

I’m always looking forward to change
in usual anticipations with
intrepid concern for the results. :)
Example,
Yamaha’s next Motif XF os firmware 1.6,
which hasn’t been announced yet,
maybe will merge the considerations of it’s Mac users and their concerns of compatibility between the two.
-and then,
Apple’s new Yosemite the end of October… maybe Apple will cooperate with the other huge conglomerates that are not even their competitors,
and ‘play nice with the neighbors’ :-)
....addressing customers’ and investors’ concerns.
Gee, I’m excited.  huh? :-))

Happy Sunday.
Be Blest Always…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2014 @ 03:05 PM
mivey4
Joined  12-02-2011

Indeed!  Good Times ;-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 02, 2014 @ 04:24 AM
rikdeckers
Joined  01-14-2012

Hi mivey4

thanks a lot for you answer !!
Sorry I din’t notice your reply earlier.  I didn’t get email notification (although I checked that box).
Anyway, this is really helpful.
I will also further investigate the SMB2 vs SMB issue.  In case I find something, I’ll definitely let you know !!

Thanks again my friend for your help !

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 06, 2022 @ 09:48 PM
Mlg4ever
Total Posts:  877
Joined  07-27-2003

So, basically this is an issue that never got resolved to this day. Mac computers can’t be connected to the local network via ethernet cables. And it’s all because the big guys are having a tussle between themselves and can’t see eye to eye. Is that about right?

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Performance to Pattern Effects(?) Issue
Next Topic:

Dual Keyboard Setup ››