mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Performance to Pattern wacky happenings"

Posted on: September 16, 2014 @ 02:07 PM
obrother
Total Posts:  128
Joined  05-09-2003

So I had thought I mastered the technique of bringing a Performance to Pattern days ago, but I’m now getting an anomaly.

First...if I’m interested in ‘clearing out’ a particular Pattern, what is the best way to do it?  I’m afraid to press any ‘initialize’ button until I’m sure it’ll only do what’s necessary.

My latest problem:  I bring in a Performance into a Pattern that already has info there.  I thought it would over-write, but it seems to only over-write the first 4 Parts and then make use of the extras that might have been there previously.  Is this right?

The bigger problem is that after I unsucessfully tried to bring over a Performance to Pattern...in a new/unused slot, I still got anomalies.  There are obviously only 4 Parts in my Performance, but I keep getting 6 Parts in whatever Pattern destination I give it (which coincidentally is the same number of Parts I used for a recent Master I set up that referenced a Pattern, if that’s a clue).  I’m also getting terrible delay on at least one Part even though the parameters (output) all match up.  The general sound/mix seems a bit askew as well.  I always check the 6 boxes in Mix Job Copy Performance o bring in all the necessary parameters.  I know that the drum arp speed always need to be reset, no problem there...but this other stuff is befuddling.  I don’t see any obvious parameters that don’t line up between Perf/Pattern.  What would be going on?

And...I had an instance where my Master (from Pattern) didn’t bring over use of the AF1/2 buttons...any guesses about that? 

edit follow-up:  I notice what has happened when I put this Performance into Pattern (saved all setttings) and then ‘stored’ into a new/unused Pattern....is that it, by default, kept the name of another Pattern that I use, and kept Parts 5 and 6 and their settings.  So new location but it is drawing extra voices/parameters from a, so far, identically named Pattern.  Is this all because I’m not giving the new Pattern a name (yet)??

Thank you as always....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 16, 2014 @ 03:08 PM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

So-named Direct Performance Recording is an extremely powerful and ‘generally’ simple operation. That said, as you can see if you search for appropriate threads in the forums (MOXF and other), there are anomalies and gotchas.

In general, although you don’t actually have to, I prefer to use an empty Pattern or Song. It just seems to minimize the risk of lurking data I wasn’t expecting. Provided you do regular Save All backups don’t be in any way afraid or initializing or clearing - for the same reasons.

Without being able to see your file and how you recorded it, it’s difficult to say exactly where you went wrong. But there are plenty of ways ‘to’ go wrong, or at least do something you didn’t realize you were doing.

The arpeggios are a potentially tricky area and one thing you need to do is make sure you aren’t arpeggio-ing an already arpeggiated part. In other words if you have recorded data under arpeggio control, switch the arp button OFF because the arpeggiator’s output has already been recorded.

Here’s a good article on the general business and process.

Playing and recording Performances

There’s also tons of material here on how to use the arpeggios.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 16, 2014 @ 06:04 PM
obrother
Total Posts:  128
Joined  05-09-2003

Thanks for the reply, just to specify that I didn’t record anything into the Pattern. I just ‘copied’ a Performance (4 Parts) direct to a Pattern.  I don’t know if this changes the prospects for a solution on your end.

I had done it previously with no issues and there is a commonality as far as what ‘extra’ Parts it’s putting in (they came from another Pattern).  I’m going to investigate the ‘naming’ of the Pattern, as maybe not naming it brings in unwanted default parameters....or something.

[ Ignore ]