mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Headphones out only coming out the left side"

Posted on: September 14, 2014 @ 01:28 PM
katsikas
Total Posts:  79
Joined  04-09-2005

I assume I have a hardware issue here, but all my headphone audio is only coming out the left side.  Main and aux outs work fine.  Tried multiple headphones so its a Motif issue.  Any advice before I open it up and look for a loose wire?

Steve

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 14, 2014 @ 03:47 PM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

Are you using a (and the same) quarter inch to eighth inch convertor or are you trying completely different (quarter inch jack) headphones?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 14, 2014 @ 04:30 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
katsikas - 14 September 2014 01:28 PM

I assume I have a hardware issue here, but all my headphone audio is only coming out the left side.  Main and aux outs work fine.  Tried multiple headphones so its a Motif issue.  Any advice before I open it up and look for a loose wire?

It’s definitely caused by hardware - but which hardware?

Since the headphone jack is mounted (soldered) directly to the printed circuit board (JKAN-JA), you won’t find a “loose wire” causing this. Sometimes the headphone cable gets stressed enough to cause a solder joint to break between the PHONES jack and pc board. If you’re using a 1/4"-to-1/8" adapter (as MrMotif asked about), then try another one. I’ve had problems with those adapters several times.

There’s one stage of amplification per channel (op-amp plus associated resistors and capacitors) between the line outputs (L/MONO and R) and the PHONES OUT. There’s also a muting transistor at each of the outputs, which sometimes fail.

[ Ignore ]