mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Ending Performances Tips"

Posted on: September 09, 2014 @ 02:29 AM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

I have several songs that I do completely as a Performance, 4 parts, arpeggios on at least two parts. Pretty standard layout. I’m pretty adept at playing with the various arp variation buttons to make the drums sound “live” and the fills never quite identical. 

But I’ve yet to come up with a way to have a real, satisfying ending to a Song produced as a Performance. (Except for a fade out.) At the very end of the Performance I will sometimes dial down the tempo so the ending retards slightly as I go through the last few chords. I do it in real-time. And it works pretty well if I can spare the fingers to turn the knob. But even in those case I have to eventually turn off the Arp Hold button completely, to make the drums stop playing, at which point—especially if the Voices are using articulated XS type arpeggios—the whole thing seems to poop out, and the Voices loose their “mojo”, making for a VERY wimpy ending. 

Any ideas, short of converting the whole thing to a Pattern and creating all the Sections I want including an ending. I’d rather stay in Performance mode, since its much more interactive, and I’m so CLOSE—just want a solid ending, maybe a held chord. Maybe some way to have access to a drum and cymbal flare.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 11, 2014 @ 01:51 PM
RogerD
Total Posts:  8
Joined  08-10-2013

I use a foot-switch to switch the ARP on/off and sometimes use one of the fill-in ARPs as an ending drum which helps the live feel. However, I think something that’s not perfect adds to the live situation. People realise you are playing a keyboard and it cannot be as good as a full band. It’s the reason I never use SONG mode because it’s too much like having a backing track rather than a live performance. The only annoying this is that the voices sound different when the ARP is off so putting a rall at the end without the APR is sometimes a problem.

Roger

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 11, 2014 @ 06:55 PM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

You really need some ‘ending’ arpeggios, mainly for the drums of course. I believe there are some endings present. There are also quite a number ending patterns in the Twiddly.Bits drum libraries that you can use to create some custom arps. If you need something specific it’s not that hard to create your own arps. There are tutorials here on Motifator.com and if it’s only a handful of items you need, that shouldn’t take too long.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 11, 2014 @ 08:07 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

A couple of threads that might prove interesting:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/458345/
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/470039/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 19, 2014 @ 12:58 PM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

Thanks for the tips. Yes, the Voice going limp when you pop out of Arp mode is kind of a bummer. I’m on the verge of buying Twiddle Bits Percussion/Drums pack and was wondering about that very thing. So it’s possible some nice drum endings/fanfares will be found in that collection and I could just turn them into a User Arp. Is there any way to identify similar things within MOX Arp Library? 

I will read those suggested threads now. Thanks again.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Can a Song (or Pattern) include a Performance?
Next Topic:

Setup Yamaha MOX8 in Logic Pro X ››