mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Melas software and Yamaha Drivers"

Posted on: September 03, 2014 @ 02:15 PM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

I am finally taking the plunge with the full software pack for MOX by John Melas. Main immediate goal is to be able to organize my Songs/Patterns/Performances into Master set lists before each gig. My Master patches are categorized (kind of) but I’m thinking I should just create set lists and go straight down them instead of hunting song to song. 

Before I buy the Melas stuff I’m wanting to add or update Yamaha drivers and such on my Windows PC. Can someone provide a web link to those downloads as I don’t have my original discs handy and I assume there are newer versions available now anyway.

I am currently working directly with the MOX for composing and arrangements but if I’m going to interface with a computer now anyway, maybe there are some nifty, free programs (PC-centric) I should know about since I’ve been out of that area for a while now. 

Finally, there used to be a software program Yamaha distributed in the MotifES/S90 era that converted MIDI Type 0 to Type 1 and vice versa. I’ve got several MIDI files I can play and preview on the computer, but when I attempt to open in MOX platform I get an “Illegal File” message. I’m hoping this is just a matter of Type 0 vs Type 1, but not sure.

Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 03, 2014 @ 02:20 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

Assets Related to MOX

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 26, 2014 @ 10:25 AM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

I downloaded the Yamaha-Steinberg USB Driver, followed the installation prompts PC (Windows 7).

The Melas software is not “finding” it using the Auto Connect process. It hangs up on the small screen that says MOX Connect with green progress bar. This seizes up everything (such that I have to reboot). 

I don’t understand much about drivers, but it appears that the Yamaha Driver is not coming up for selection during the Auto Connect phase. And in MIDI setup the MIDI out in all three sections is defaulting to Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth.

Perhaps if someone could walk me thru the process?  Is the driver not being installed correctly or in the proper path or ???

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 26, 2014 @ 10:57 AM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
muscarella - 26 September 2014 10:25 AM

...The Melas software is not “finding” it using the Auto Connect process. It hangs up on the small screen that says MOX Connect with green progress bar. This seizes up everything (such that I have to reboot)....

You don’t say, but have you tried to set up the connection manually?

From Total Librarian Manual:

1. Quick Start Guide

1. Set-up Connections

When you run the Total Librarian for the first time, you should go to menu

Setup-->MIDI Setup

and select the MIDI ports to which your synth is connected. Press [OK] and if you have selected the correct ports, you will see a confirmation message in the status bar saying that your synth is connected. Alternatively you can use the “Autoconnect” command from the menu which will try to detect the ports to which your synth is connected automatically!

Have you been able to successfully connect your MOX to your computer other than with Melas?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 26, 2014 @ 11:46 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

I don’t have the Melas software, but could this be a matter of MIDI port selection (5-pin DIN versus USB) on the MOX? See MIDI IN/OUT on page 150 of the MOX Reference Manual.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 26, 2014 @ 11:48 AM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

I don’t use the MOX with any other program or computer till now. That’s why I went with Auto Connect, cause I have not a clue about what’s going on with drivers and such. Is Yamaha-Steinberg supposed to display as a choice in the MIDI setup? The Performance Editor did work at first. It MIDI dumped all my Performances and appeared to be working correctly. But the others, Drum Kit, Master, Mix, all get stuck.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 26, 2014 @ 11:58 AM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

UTILITY MIDI IN/OUT is set to USB.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 26, 2014 @ 12:48 PM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

This is gonna be rough, cause every time I attempt something my computer seizes up and I have to force quit the whole computer.

Aren’t I supposed to be seeing Yamaha-Steinberg USB in list of MIDI port options?

I’ve installed it, but should I be able to see it somewhere else, in Programs folder or something, cause I can’t find it.

Within the Editor, in MIDI set-up, I’m only seeing Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth and (none). When I hit Auto Connect I can see, just for an instant, that it’s choosing Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, then goes to the MOX Connected window which freezes up, can’t be Canceled, can’t be closed with X and the program and all other programs open on computer are locked down, too.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 26, 2014 @ 02:37 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

I would try the usual Windows debug method: uninstall all the Yamaha drivers and Melas software, reinstall them all and try again.

Can’t help any further, this is one reason I use a Mac now.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 26, 2014 @ 02:51 PM
abelas
Total Posts:  49
Joined  08-24-2011

This way MIDI setup looks on my computer.

Image Attachments
mox.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2014 @ 01:26 PM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

I ran Auto Connect in MIDI Setup the first time. 

OK, so if I’m going to uninstall every possible USB driver (just in case), how do I do this? 

I’m really totally ignorant about this stuff and could use a little step by step. Sorry.

I know where the Melas software is, and it has an uninstall mode, so that should be straight-forward enough. But I’d prefer to uninstall and re-install the driver before I do all that work with the 6 different Melas programs.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2014 @ 01:41 PM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

OK. Tweaked some more. Seem to have solved things, but couldn’t tell you what or how. The software is now offering me the MOX6/MOX8 in MIDI Setup, which wasn’t happening previous. I manually entered the IN with 1 and the OUT with 4, and everything seems to be talking now, gonna open up everything including Total Librarian and hope for the best. Thanks to all!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2014 @ 02:10 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011

Glad you were able to get this fixed, and thanks for letting us know!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Automatic copying of performances in PATTERN mode?
Next Topic:

performance mode question. ››