mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "No Controller Assignments in Performance mode on MOXF?"

Posted on: September 03, 2014 @ 01:18 AM
richever
Total Posts:  10
Joined  10-26-2011

I have been using a MO6 and a MO8 for years on gigs I recently bought a MOXF8 and have been putting in a lot of hours programming the Performances and Masters that I use live.  I was horrified to just learn that Controller Assignments do not appear to be available in Performance mode, but only globally in Utility.  I have things programmed where I assign the foot controller to the Modulation wheel so I can do it while I am playing with both hands ......... filter sweeps, wah wah effects, etc.  I can’t very well assign the pedal to the Mod wheel in Utility, as it would no longer work as a Volume (Expression) Pedal for everything else.  I tried going at the Voice level and replacing MW with FC1 in the appropriate controller sets.  But as long as FC1 is assigned to 11 (Expression) in Utility, it won’t work for this.  The MOXF8 has some nice new sounds, but the loss of the sliders and now this feels like a step backwards.  Any ideas?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 03, 2014 @ 10:32 AM
richever
Joined  10-26-2011

Well, after doing some research I found out that even the Motif XF does not have full controller assignments in Performance mode.  The Motif XS was the last one to have this. Sometimes newer is not better.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 03, 2014 @ 12:50 PM
admin
Total Posts:  9578
Joined  12-09-2008

Not sure you have the correct information there. When you create a Master mode list of Voices, Performances, Songs etc. you can then add a lot of individual controller information on top of each of them. The idea of setting external controllers globally would seem a reasonable one, though, no? Playing live it’d be very confusing for a pedal, say, to do one thing on one song and another on another. Consistency would seem the best solution.

Also, where did you read about the XF removing features that are on the XS?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 03, 2014 @ 11:30 PM
richever
Joined  10-26-2011

In Master mode you can select which controllers are transmitted (on or off) for each zone, either internally or midi.  But you cannot assign them anything, except for the control knobs.  As far assigning all the controllers globally, I find that to be rather limiting.  I have found it to be more confusing to have too many pedals and have to remember what does what.  I only use a sustain pedal and a volume/expression pedal (FC7).  With my MO8 I am able to use the FC7 pedal primarily for volume (expression), but occasionally (as I originally posted) as a substitute for the Mod wheel when both my hands are busy.  I use a Macbook Pro on gigs and am able to use the sustain pedal to change the rotator speed (Leslie) in the Native Instruments B4 program.  I am also able to use the sustain pedal to start backing tracks in Digital Performer.
Lastly, I did not read about Yamaha removing any features that are on the XS.  I read the manuals for all the generations of Motifs and discovered this on my own I double checked it by loading John Melas’ Performance editors for each. Everything up through XS has Controller assignments (CTL ASN -F4) as a common edit in Performance mode.  The XF does not.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 03, 2014 @ 11:49 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

I’m not sure if the techniques outlined by B.Minor in This Thread would be useful to you, or could be adapted to your situation, but you may want to take a look if you haven’t already.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 04, 2014 @ 12:08 AM
richever
Joined  10-26-2011

Thanks, That may help me.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 04, 2014 @ 12:59 AM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
richever - 03 September 2014 01:18 AM

...I tried going at the Voice level and replacing MW with FC1 in the appropriate controller sets.  But as long as FC1 is assigned to 11 (Expression) in Utility, it won’t work for this...Any ideas?

First, I don’t have a MOXF (mine is an XF), but have you tried this:

Set the FC1 to control...say...Wah at the VOICE level, leaving it at [Expression] in Utility.

Bring the VOICE into a PERFORMANCE.  In PART Edit, go to the Receive Switch screen, and de-select Expression for that PART (Page 69 MOXF Reference Manual), but select the actual FC1 controller to keep the Wah cc message on.

Does this cause the FC1 to control Wah for that PART, while remaining as Expression for the other PARTS?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 04, 2014 @ 02:24 AM
richever
Joined  10-26-2011

Thank you cmayhle.  That worked!  I was actually trying with FLT-Frq as the destination (like a filter sweep), but it worked.  I don’t even really need to control the volume of the other parts on this particular Performance, but it did work as you said.  Ironically, I had tried a similar fix at the Master level.  But when you turn off Vol/Exp as a TX SW in Master mode, the pedal doesn’t work at all. Thanks again.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 04, 2014 @ 03:57 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
admin - 03 September 2014 12:50 PM

[...]Also, where did you read about the XF removing features that are on the XS?

richever - 03 September 2014 11:30 PM

[...]Lastly, I did not read about Yamaha removing any features that are on the XS.  I read the manuals for all the generations of Motifs and discovered this on my own I double checked it by loading John Melas’ Performance editors for each. Everything up through XS has Controller assignments (CTL ASN -F4) as a common edit in Performance mode.  The XF does not.

Controller Assign (CTL ASN) in Performance Common Edit isn’t available on the MOX either (and it’s [F3] on the XS, but who’s counting?  :-) ).

This issue has been noted before - see the third post by DschoKeys in this thread:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/472365/

For a variation on the theme, also see http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/index.php/viewthread/473149/

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Melas Software Question 2
Next Topic:

Yamaha Multi Editor - some basic questions ››