mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "How to change User Banks on the XS Rack from the CP1 Piano?"

Posted on: August 22, 2014 @ 11:16 PM
glennpalmer
Total Posts:  2
Joined  08-22-2014

Bad_Mister, Please help?
I have a Yamaha CP1 piano that I use as the master controller for my Motif XS Rack.  This is probably the finest piano set-up on the planet with the CP1 and Motif pianos and electric pianos blended together.  I use the USER Bank A, B, and C on the CP1 piano and when I change sounds (presets) on the CP1 (there are 16 presets per bank) it also changes the patches on the XS Rack - perfect. 

However, when I change the CP1 from bank A to B, or B to C, or A to C, the XS will not change it’s User bank to the corresponding CP1 bank.  I have to manually change the XS to the proper bank A, B, or C.  In other words the CP1 with it’s 16 preset piano buttons controls the XS Rack’s first 16 sounds, but it will not control changing from bank to bank.  I programed the first 16 sounds on the XS User Banks A, B and C to match up with my CP1, and would like to be able to have the XS change banks with the CP1.

I went to the manuals of both instruments and spent several hours trying to figure it out, and no luck.

I’m a professional jazz pianist, and I need this to happen so as not to add extra things to worry about when I’m playing live.  Please help?
I really appreciate your time and consideration on this--
G. Palmer

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 23, 2014 @ 09:26 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

Please check the data list manuals for the CP1 and the Rack XS.

Other than GM banks, the patch change messages usually differ from one instrument to the next because the portion that indicates the bank will not be the same.

Rack XS (starts on p.2):
(the bank section of the message contains two bytes, the values listed here are in decimal format)
GM MSB = 0 LSB = 0
PRE1 MSB = 63 LSB = 0
PRE2 MSB = 63 LSB = 1
PRE3 MSB = 63 LSB = 2
PRE4 MSB = 63 LSB = 3
PRE5 MSB = 63 LSB = 4
PRE6 MSB = 63 LSB = 5
PRE7 MSB = 63 LSB = 6
PRE8 MSB = 63 LSB = 7
USR1 MSB=63, LSB=8
USR2 MSB=63, LSB=9
USR3 MSB=63, LSB=10

Then drum banks…

CP1 (starts on p. 13):

Available Bank Select/Program Change
MSB LSB

63 61 PRE A
63 62 PRE B
63 63 PRE C
63 64 USR A
63 65 USR B
63 66 USR C
63 68 EXT A
63 69 EXT B
63 70 EXT C

Since the LSB values of the CP1 do not match the LSB values of the XS, the CP1 will never properly switch the XS banks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 23, 2014 @ 04:05 PM
glennpalmer
Total Posts:  2
Joined  08-22-2014

Meatballfulton,

This is very kind of you to respond in such detail.  I looked at at all of that in the manuals but could never quite understand it.  I’ll just have to deal with manual bank switches on the XS while playing my CP1.
Again, thank you,
GPalmer

PS.  I’ll have to record some of these piano combinations that I have programmed together with the CP1 and the XS and get it on the forum.  The Rhodes combos are absolute killer-the best I’ve heard anywhere-and some of the layered pianos are also amazing.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 23, 2014 @ 09:46 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
glennpalmer - 23 August 2014 04:05 PM

[...] I’ll just have to deal with manual bank switches on the XS while playing my CP1.

Not necessarily. With a MIDI event processor it should be possible to remap the CP1 messages to ones the XS can understand.

http://www.midisolutions.com/prodevp.htm
-- or --
http://www.midisolutions.com/prodepp.htm

[ Ignore ]