mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Repost"

Posted on: August 21, 2014 @ 05:29 PM
richie1027
Total Posts:  686
Joined  10-14-2008

Posted a few days ago but no reply.  Perhaps this question is so basic that it just warrants a laugh.  Hopefully someone will humor this brain-deficit vet with some insight. 

This is likely a simple question

I loaded a GM or SMF into a song.  In the main sequence screen, below the name of the song, I transposed down 1 full step (-2).  This put the song into G major key

In this transposed state, I overdubbed several parts on a piano track, and of course when I played it back, the overdubbed notes were recorded I the original key.

Not a problem....using the “note” job function I simply transposed the parts I recorded up 1 full step.

Question.  I’m missing something?  Can I change the key sig so that whatever key I transpose to, my overdubs will be in the new key signature, and not what it was previously....?

This has messed me up once before...I had imported a midi file and made changes, but I also had to retune my keyboard master setting down 1/2 step to accommodate a guitar player (imagine that!).  And the sequence again was off a half step.

Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 21, 2014 @ 05:57 PM
I_Too_Say_So_Long
Total Posts:  728
Joined  09-20-2011

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 21, 2014 @ 09:56 PM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

Think you just have to be very careful (i.e. remember and/or take note of) exactly what you’re transposing and ‘when’. If you always transpose the actual data (via Job) then you’re actually making a transposition ‘permanent’ - relatively. If you’re just transposing the playback, though, the originally recorded data will stay the same. I’d say if you want to overdub new parts in a different key, safest to edit the data (via Job), then everything will always line up. I’d only use the global transpose for quick or immediate edits when playing live or just working something out.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 21, 2014 @ 10:07 PM
richie1027
Total Posts:  686
Joined  10-14-2008

Mr Motif......gotcha.  You hit it.  I believe I was transposing the playback, recording in that state and therefore the notes recorded in the original key.  I’ll try during the JOB function to make the changes and then recording/overdubbing should be in the correct key. 
Pt hanks for juggling this nugget loose for me. Once I read your reply it came flooding back

Many thanks. 

Rich

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Navigation on Motif is Fast
Next Topic:

Just got my White MotifXF6 ››