mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Compuer keyboard triggers sounds on Motif XF"

Posted on: August 20, 2014 @ 01:56 AM
vo.van
Total Posts:  24
Joined  12-26-2011

Hi ,
I have a weird problem, I set in Logic external midi track for Mortif XF which is connected thru USB, I have a computer keyboard connected to my macbook as well. Space bar triggers notes on Motif. Did anybody experienced similar issue?

Thanks…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 20, 2014 @ 10:19 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

In many DAWs, various keys on the computer keyboard can be used to send MIDI data, typically to act as a surrogate for an actual MIDI keyboard.

Check the Logic manual and see how to disable this.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 20, 2014 @ 03:12 PM
AndrewG
Total Posts:  30
Joined  10-12-2008

Without hijacking this thread, I would like to push this question a little bit further.

Which DAW allows assignment of a computer keyboard key or macro to a user-defined sequence of MIDI-compatible low-level instrument commands?

That is, suppose I want to assign to a space bar a hardware command, which puts the sustain pedal into On status for all 16 channels. Or assign a V key to a hardware command, which activates Violin patch in channel 1.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 20, 2014 @ 04:47 PM
vo.van
Joined  12-26-2011

Thanks for replies, in Logic there is function to play midi through computer keyboard,and this is disabled. I checked with midi monitor, there is no midi note generated in system…

So hope there is a workaround of this issue, by implementing template or certain rules. I will start a separate thread how bounce Motif into Logic.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 20, 2014 @ 05:01 PM
vo.van
Joined  12-26-2011

to clarify, in order to audition and record midi through Motif XF in Logic. I created external Midi track, which sences Motif MIDI input through USB port, and routed outputs from Motif XF to inputs of audio interface. Everything seems to be OK, but computer itself generates sounds on Motif when I click on odd keys , or when I closing the window which can be tolerated but frankly quite annoying. It dosen’t seem to be MIDI notes, as I checked with MIDI filter software, no midi generated, so I assume it is either bug in driver, or rather something wrong i setup.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 20, 2014 @ 10:01 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013
vo.van - 20 August 2014 05:01 PM

Everything seems to be OK, but computer itself generates sounds on Motif when I click on odd keys

If you have caps lock down whilst in Logic, then the whole qwerty keyboard becomes a musical keyboard.

Could that be the case?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 21, 2014 @ 10:50 AM
vo.van
Joined  12-26-2011
philwoodmusic - 20 August 2014 10:01 PM
vo.van - 20 August 2014 05:01 PM

Everything seems to be OK, but computer itself generates sounds on Motif when I click on odd keys

If you have caps lock down whilst in Logic, then the whole qwerty keyboard becomes a musical keyboard.

Could that be the case?

I checked - nope...Thanks for your reply though..

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 21, 2014 @ 11:25 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

I had a similar problem happening in Ableton Live. Simply changing the output to the XF from “All MIDI inputs” to something more specific cleared the problem.

There must be some way to trace the MIDI routing in Logic?

You need to trace all possible MIDI sources that are connected to the MIDI out(s) to the XF. Then disable them one by one until the problem goes away.

Good luck!

[ Ignore ]