mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOTIF XS8: Controlling Volume using Digital Out"

Posted on: August 20, 2014 @ 12:09 AM
azkey
Total Posts:  2
Joined  08-20-2008

My apologies for posting in the XF8 forum, but the XS8 forum has yet to be restored. My situation… I have my XS8 outputting to my NAD D 7050 via digital output. The volume slider on the XS8 does not affect volume output and the NAD is not within easy reach of the keyboard. I also listen extensively using headphones, and obviously, the volume slider controls that volume.

So my question… can the volume slider be set to control both? Or can I keep the volume slider as is (controlling headphone output), and assign another slider to control the digital output.

Thanks for any help,
Tom

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 20, 2014 @ 05:32 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
azkey - 20 August 2014 12:09 AM

My apologies for posting in the XF8 forum, but the XS8 forum has yet to be restored. My situation… I have my XS8 outputting to my NAD D 7050 via digital output. The volume slider on the XS8 does not affect volume output and the NAD is not within easy reach of the keyboard. I also listen extensively using headphones, and obviously, the volume slider controls that volume.

So my question… can the volume slider be set to control both? Or can I keep the volume slider as is (controlling headphone output), and assign another slider to control the digital output.

Thanks for any help,
Tom

Welcome to the forum.

The MASTER VOLUME slider is in the analog section (after D/A conversion), and can’t control digital output level. No single slider can be used to control the overall digital output level.

I looked at the NAD D 7050 information - it seems that free remote control apps are available for use with appropriate iOS or Android devices.

Otherwise, is there no way you can use the main analog (L/MONO and R) outputs on the XS? They’re quite clean…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 20, 2014 @ 11:21 AM
azkey
Total Posts:  2
Joined  08-20-2008

Thanks kindly for your help - I had forgotten completely about my IOS app. And unfortunately, there is is way for me to use the L/R outs - the NAD D 7050 is a purely digital receiver / amp.

I guess I could send the Motif to my computer - it is going into the NAD via optical out (pristine sounds when playing hi-res) music.

Anyway, I have a new MacPro with only Thunderbolt or or USB 3.0 ports available and was thinking about upgrading to the latest version of Cubase for tinkering purposes.  Would the firewire drive work with a firewire/thunderbolt adaptor going directly into the MacPro, or should I use the USB driver.

Thanks again, your help is very much appreciated.

And FYI… the question regain controlling the digital output via one of the sliders was simply motivated by the fact that sometimes I just want to sit and play without headphones or having to boot the computer :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 21, 2014 @ 10:40 AM
joesax
Total Posts:  185
Joined  03-11-2009

You can buy a small portable headphone amp. Connect the L/R out of Motif to it and just turn the Motif and the headphone amp on when you want to listen to headphones. There are headphone amps with L/R inputs on the back.

I actually send my Motif Digital Out to an external Pre-amp/DAC that sends L/R Analog to my small Headphone amp. I control volume with the Pre-Amp remote. Works great.

Joe

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 21, 2014 @ 12:10 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
azkey - 20 August 2014 11:21 AM

Thanks kindly for your help - I had forgotten completely about my IOS app. And unfortunately, there is is way for me to use the L/R outs - the NAD D 7050 is a purely digital receiver / amp.

You’re welcome. I’m aware that the D 7050 has no analog inputs - I was wondering if you had an alternative available.

Besides the apps, the D 7050 comes with its own remote control, with which volume can be controlled. Wouldn’t that work for you?

azkey -

Anyway, I have a new MacPro with only Thunderbolt or or USB 3.0 ports available and was thinking about upgrading to the latest version of Cubase for tinkering purposes.  Would the firewire drive work with a firewire/thunderbolt adaptor going directly into the MacPro, or should I use the USB driver.

Connecting via a firewire-to-thunderbolt adapter will work, as far as the connection is concerned. You may have to update the mLAN firmware, and verify that the driver you use will work with the most recent Cubase version.

This thread, although not recent, might help:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/453416/

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Midi transpose
Next Topic:

Compuer keyboard triggers sounds on Motif XF ››