mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Arp activation in Performance Mode"

Posted on: August 05, 2014 @ 07:38 AM
mrdelurk
Total Posts:  151
Joined  09-18-2009

It’s interesting how in Performance Mode, the dozens of voices in a group (e.g. guitars) respond to the same exact numbered arp totally differently as I load them into the same Performance slot. Some arpeggiate like crazy, some not at all, some do something in between, etc.

As if an “arp sensitivity” parameter existed somewhere. Even though I haven’t found one cruising around various XS screens, nor keyword searching the manual PDF.

So how does one change how XS Voices respond to an arp in Performance Mode? As in “Voice, do play this arp. Even if it sounds like a train crash, I want to hear it.”

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2014 @ 07:50 AM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007

mrdelurk - 05 August 2014 07:38 AM

It’s interesting how in Performance Mode, the dozens of voices in a group (e.g. guitars) respond to the same exact numbered arp totally differently as I load them into the same Performance slot. Some arpeggiate like crazy, some not at all, some do something in between, etc.

As if an “arp sensitivity” parameter existed somewhere. Even though I haven’t found one cruising around various XS screens, nor keyword searching the manual PDF.

So how does one change how XS Voices respond to an arp in Performance Mode? As in “Voice, do play this arp. Even if it sounds like a train crash, I want to hear it.”

I’m not really sure that I completely understand what you have done, but you should know that some esp. guitar arps respond differently. Some of them are intended to be used only with Mega Voices. That mean that some arp uses different velocity or low/high octaves to trigger some guitar specific effects like frets, mutes, etc.
That’s why you could hear for some sounds train crash as you said.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2014 @ 04:10 PM
mrdelurk
Joined  09-18-2009

Alex, I mentioned guitar sounds to illustrate that similar Voices of a group respond differently to the exact same arp number.

In fact, I could as well said that similar string orchestra Voices respond differently to the exact same string orchestral arp. This happens with every type of Voice and arp.

Some Voices arpeggiate like crazy, some do nothing, some do something in between. So I’m looking for the elusive “Voice, just play this arp I assigned you” button in Performance Mode.

Edit: my latest (4am) discovery is, that the string orchestra Voices in fact do play the orchestra arp, all. The difference why one sounds like AM radio static and the next like an orchestra depends on a twirl of the Cutoff and Resonance knobs. Oh?

And, interestingly, the same Cutoff and Resonance knobs fade another Voice in and out somehow. So when I fix the string Voice with a knob twirl, this also whacks the other Voice out. Hmmm.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2014 @ 05:18 PM
mrdelurk
Joined  09-18-2009

OK, I figured out the solution.

It’s to write down the favorite Arp and Voice numbers on a paper, then Initialize a Performance and re-enter them.

This way one doesn’t inherit a bunch of perplexing Performance Mode phenomena like the one I ran into. Things work as one would expect. :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 06, 2014 @ 01:09 PM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007
mrdelurk - 05 August 2014 05:18 PM

OK, I figured out the solution.

It’s to write down the favorite Arp and Voice numbers on a paper, then Initialize a Performance and re-enter them.

This way one doesn’t inherit a bunch of perplexing Performance Mode phenomena like the one I ran into. Things work as one would expect. :-)

Thanks for the explanation!

Alex

[ Ignore ]