mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "What is the easiest way to mute the main outputs?"

Posted on: July 20, 2014 @ 12:27 PM
BobosCurse
Total Posts:  81
Joined  12-31-2013

If I want to switch to headphones and mute the outputs, what’s the quickest way to do this?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 20, 2014 @ 02:03 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
BobosCurse - 20 July 2014 12:27 PM

If I want to switch to headphones and mute the outputs, what’s the quickest way to do this?

Something like This or This is probably the quickest way to do it.

This will do the job if you want to use your feet...just ignore the tuning function!

If you are DIY inclined (or have a friend that is), making a kill switch couldn’t be easier.  I got this off of the sevenstring.org Forum:

“DYI is too easy I bet you’ll find a friend with a solder willing to do that for you for a couple of beers. The cost of materials should be for let’s say 5 bucks each you can also put both the killswitch and the on/of on a single pedal with a button and a SPST…

I’ll write how to do a single pedal here, maybe someone is interested

List of materials:
Wire
Enclosure
Button (Open, That means that when you aren’t pressing it, it’s off) for the momentary pedal or SPST switch for the on/off one
2 X Female Jack

Tools:
Soldering Iron
Wire cutter/stripper
Drill

Procedure:
Step 1: Make the holes in the enclosure for the jacks and the button where you prefer then fill these holes with the female jacks and the button
Step 2: Solder one wire from the ground of the jack to one of the poles of the switch/button then again to the ground of the other jack.
Step 3: Do the same with the hot of both jacks and the other pole of the switch/button.
Step 4: Have fun

Do 2 in 1 is just trivial...connect the cables to a single pole of both Switch/buttons”

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 20, 2014 @ 07:45 PM
BobosCurse
Total Posts:  81
Joined  12-31-2013

Yikes!  I’m sorry, I meant in the MOX settings!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 20, 2014 @ 08:22 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
BobosCurse - 20 July 2014 07:45 PM

Yikes!  I’m sorry, I meant in the MOX settings!

I could be wrong, but as far as I know the signal of both the headphones and the main outputs function/don’t function together...that is, you cannot separate them within the machine.

Others with more specific knowledge of the signal path the machine uses can weigh-in...but the hardware solutions I suggested were based on this understanding.

From the MOXF Owner’s Manual, page 16:

[PHONES] (Headphone) jack
This standard stereo phones jack is for connection to a set of
stereo headphones. This jack outputs audio signals identical
to those from the OUTPUT [L/MONO] and [R] jacks

Perhaps a Small Mixer would be a good way to pull down the main outputs while checking the sound in your headphones.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 20, 2014 @ 10:09 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
cmayhle - 20 July 2014 08:22 PM

I could be wrong, but as far as I know the signal of both the headphones and the main outputs function/don’t function together...that is, you cannot separate them within the machine.

Others with more specific knowledge of the signal path the machine uses can weigh-in...but the hardware solutions I suggested were based on this understanding.

From the MOXF Owner’s Manual, page 16:

[PHONES] (Headphone) jack
This standard stereo phones jack is for connection to a set of
stereo headphones. This jack outputs audio signals identical
to those from the OUTPUT [L/MONO] and [R] jacks

That’s correct, the signal going to the main outputs is what’s also fed to the headphone amp. There’s no internal means of separately controlling the Main and Phones outputs. This is true for the Classic Motif, ES, XS, XF, etc.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 21, 2014 @ 10:28 AM
admin
Total Posts:  9578
Joined  12-09-2008

Use a volume pedal?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 21, 2014 @ 10:47 AM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
admin - 21 July 2014 10:28 AM

Use a volume pedal?

Unfortunately that will pull down the volume of the headphones as well, unless you are referring to a stereo inline pedal.

One of those is certainly another option.

I think the takeaway for the OP is that a hardware solution will be required.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 21, 2014 @ 12:15 PM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011
cmayhle - 21 July 2014 10:47 AM
admin - 21 July 2014 10:28 AM

Use a volume pedal?

Unfortunately that will pull down the volume of the headphones as well, unless you are referring to a stereo inline pedal.

One of those is certainly another option.

I think the takeaway for the OP is that a hardware solution will be required.

But alas, the FC9 is discontinued. Much to my chagrin. I don’t know why, but it was a great pedal.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 21, 2014 @ 12:26 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
stoneb3 - 21 July 2014 12:15 PM

...But alas, the FC9 is discontinued. Much to my chagrin. I don’t know why, but it was a great pedal.

Yeah, it would probably want to be a BOSS or a Behringer, or similar.

Haven’t used either one personally.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 21, 2014 @ 03:16 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

The issue is easily solved if you plug your Mo XF into a mixer that has mute buttons for each channel. Then plug your headphones into the Mo XF’s headphone jack and play.

Aa far as I know, there is no keyboard that allows you to control the main outputs and headphone output independently.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 21, 2014 @ 09:23 PM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

Should have been more specific, an in-line pedal is indeed what I meant! Hopefully, the need / setting to do this is sufficiently professional so that an outboard mixer or more sophisticated pedal will be an appropriate solution.

MM

[ Ignore ]