mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Sustain pedal issue - it’s not the pedal - help?"

Posted on: July 16, 2014 @ 09:20 PM
drew.angerer@gmail.com
Total Posts:  12
Joined  12-28-2011

Okay guys, I’ve been having an issue with my MOX8 that has virtually rendered it unplayable for me.

Here’s what happens:

- If I plug in a sustain pedal to the keyboard, it stays sustained indefinitely. No matter what I do to the pedal, the keyboard continues to sustain. I’ve tried multiple pedals and same problems. I assume something is wrong with the sustain outlet/jack on/inside the keyboard. Something inside there that is not working correctly. Connection between pedal and keyboard is obviously not right.

Any ideas?

I’ve never changed any settings on keyboard involving the function of the sustain pedal or anything like that.  I am completely stumped and feel like I’ve tried everything. Cleaned it out, tried different pedals, I don’t know what else to do.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 16, 2014 @ 09:44 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Were any of the pedals you tried from Yamaha? If so, which one(s)?

Did you try changing the Sustain Pedal setting to match the type of pedal? See page147 of the MOX Reference Manual.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 16, 2014 @ 10:16 PM
drew.angerer@gmail.com
Joined  12-28-2011

Was using the M-Audio SP-2 pedal for over a year with no issues.... then this started happening. I supposed I can try a Yamaha brand one.

I restored the thing to factory settings and still no luck. Went into the Utility settings and tried all the different settings for the sustain and still no luck.

So I guess it’s just the fact I’m not using a Yamaha pedal? Why would it have worked fine for over a year and then all the sudden stop working fine?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 16, 2014 @ 10:17 PM
drew.angerer@gmail.com
Joined  12-28-2011

from everything I’ve read, the SP-2 pedal should work just fine… and it was.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 16, 2014 @ 10:24 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
drew.angerer@gmail.com - 16 July 2014 10:16 PM

Was using the M-Audio SP-2 pedal for over a year with no issues.... then this started happening. I supposed I can try a Yamaha brand one.

I restored the thing to factory settings and still no luck. Went into the Utility settings and tried all the different settings for the sustain and still no luck.

So I guess it’s just the fact I’m not using a Yamaha pedal? Why would it have worked fine for over a year and then all the sudden stop working fine?

Not all non-Yamaha pedals work correctly. However, if you were using one previously that did (and that pedal is known to still be OK), then it may be time for a technician to diagnose the problem.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 16, 2014 @ 10:27 PM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011

Or it tanked. Check it for continuity.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 16, 2014 @ 10:36 PM
drew.angerer@gmail.com
Joined  12-28-2011

Thanks for the input guys.

Stoneb3 - I don’t think it tanked. I’ve tried other versions of the SP2 that did the same thing. May be technician time I guess. Very frustrating.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 16, 2014 @ 10:51 PM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011

Did you check the polarity switch?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 16, 2014 @ 11:02 PM
drew.angerer@gmail.com
Joined  12-28-2011

Yep. Tried it in both settings. Doesn’t seem to make any difference. It just seems the pedal and keyboard are not communicating at all together. Sometimes the sustain will stop, but it’s not because of anything I’m doing with the pedal. I have no control over it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 16, 2014 @ 11:07 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Sometimes a soldered connection of the jack to the p.c. board can break free, which can cause intermittent operation.

You could try pushing the plug slightly left/right/up/down, and see if that changes what’s happening.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 17, 2014 @ 10:00 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

Before you pay a service center to look at
your Mo X, you really should buy a Yamaha
sustain pedal and see if it works.

M-Audio pedals are notorious for their
cheap build quality and high failure rate.
I cant tell you how many I’ve had crap out
on tours. I’ve actually put the words “Yamaha
FC-4 pedals only, NO SUBSTITUTIONS” in
our production riders.

If you get a Yamaha sustain pedal and you
still have the problem, THEN its time for
a trip to the service center.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 03, 2014 @ 09:40 AM
bgrosse
Total Posts:  465
Joined  07-06-2009

Seriously consider the Yamaha FC-3 pedal for better sounding pianos.

[ Ignore ]