mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Split Keyboard whilst Playing MIDI File"

Posted on: June 21, 2014 @ 10:35 AM
eisenfarn
Total Posts:  48
Joined  01-24-2011

Hi, I have a keyboard split set up so I can have brass in the left hand and piano at the right, is it possible to play a song (MIDI file) and still be able to split the keyboard?, thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 21, 2014 @ 05:23 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

You could certainly setup to do this.  When your MIDI File is playing it is addressing the PARTs of your keyboard’s MULTI. You simply need to edit the data in the file so that it recalls the VOICES you want to play.

You can create a MULTI that has the VOICE selection already prepared for the file, so that when the file plays back it is playing the PARTS you have pre-selected.

It requires that you have a DAW or sequencer to prepare the data for the MIDI file.
It requires that there are two PARTs available for you to play “live”
Create a MULTI that includes your two PARTS that you want to play and use the other 14 PARTS to playback the file.
Which synthesizer do you own?
Have you learned to edit files in Cubase (or other DAW?)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 27, 2014 @ 09:15 AM
eisenfarn
Joined  01-24-2011

Hi, I have a Motif ES6. I already use MIDI files in some songs but up until now I have only needed to use a single voice, so I would edit the midi file on my computer, set track one to the voice I need to play live on the keyboard and set the other tracks to the other instruments I need to be played. Track one would of course have no midi data except that to set the keyboard voice.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 27, 2014 @ 09:45 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

If you have a Motif ES6 why post in the S90 Forum?
And if you have an Motif ES you don’t need a DAW to edit the data, you can do it faster on the Motif ES sequencer.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 27, 2014 @ 04:09 PM
eisenfarn
Joined  01-24-2011

Oops, sorry I thought I was in the ES group ...

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 27, 2014 @ 04:12 PM
eisenfarn
Joined  01-24-2011

Hi, Motif ES6 - I have a keyboard split set up so I can have brass in the left hand and piano at the right, is it possible to play a song (MIDI file) and still be able to split the keyboard?, thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 27, 2014 @ 05:01 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

We put your posts all together here in the Motif ES forum. No problem.

Our first question is, when you say MIDI File - is there are specific reason you are calling it a MIDI file rather than a Motif ES Sequence.

Is this data prepared by someone else (as in a Standard MIDI File in GM protocol)? We can help you but if there are unknown messages in the data of the file it makes it a bit more involved to keep what you want and remove the extra stuff.

Let us know.

In general, you can play more than one PART while in SONG or PATTERN mode by simply going to MIXING > EDIT > touch the PART number [1]-[16] to select the PART number you want to play.
Press [F1] VOICE
Press [SF2] MODE
Here you can set the MIDI RECEIVE CHANNEL for each of the PARTS>
If for example you set PART 1 and PART 2 to MIDI channel = 1, then when you select TRACK [1] both PARTS will sound together.

you can use the PART parameters like NOTE LIMITS to region one of the sounds to your left hand and the other to your right hand.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 27, 2014 @ 08:56 PM
eisenfarn
Joined  01-24-2011

Hi, apologies if I did not make myself clear, if I give one song as an example perhaps i can make more sense :). In my band we play “Baker street” by Jerry rafferty, the keyboard intro to this I have created a performance which has 3 voices, strings and choir split at middle C down and flute split from middle C up. So in the intro my left hand plays the strings layered with choir and the flute part I play with the right hand.

Our bass player has left the band, so I need to create a MIDI file on my computer with only a bass guitar part and a click track for the drummer, so in this MIDI sequence, I would place the bass guitar on MIDI channel 2 and the click track on MIDI channel 16. Save the midifile to a USB key, import the MIDI file as a song into Motif, re-assign track 16 to an alternative output so the drummer gets an independent feed from the keyboard to his headphone amplifier. Now if I needed to play just strings in this number, I could just set “strings” (program change 48 or 49) to MIDI one on the sequencer, as soon as the song started playing on the Motif sequencer (playing the imported MIDI file), what I play live on the keybaord would be the strings voice, but what i would really like is to be able to play the same performance I would usually play without the Motif song playing. Sorry to be long winded, I hope it makes sense. Thank you very much for your replies so far :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 28, 2014 @ 04:24 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

I have created a performance which has 3 voices, strings and choir split at middle C down and flute split from middle C up.

COPY this PERFORMANCE to a blank SONG location, This will create a MIXING setup with your 3 VOICE assigned to PARTS 1, 2 and 3 of the MIXING setup assigned to Track 1.

Go to SONG
Press [MIXING]
• Press [JOB]
• Press [F5] PF COPY

Here you can select any Performance from which you want to copy data. Use the cursor arrows and Data Wheel to make your selection. Place a mark in the box next to each feature you wish to copy from the Performance: REV, CHO, ARP, and the INSERT EFFECT SWITCHES.
• Press ENTER to execute the Copy

When you create your MIDI file use any MIDI channels 2-16 for whatever you need. This way when you import it to the Motif ES you’ve got your three PARTS assigned to Channel 1 so you can play them live. You would select the TRACK [1] button to play your three PARTS split and layered as you did in the PERFORMANCE.

PARTS can be freely assigned to MIDI channels - you will have PARTS 4-16 available for your sequencer… each can be assigned to any MIDI channel as you may require.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 01, 2014 @ 08:03 AM
eisenfarn
Joined  01-24-2011

Hi, many thanks, I’ll try this out today. Just out of curiosity, is it possible to set split points etc within the midi file sent as MIDI control codes to the keyboard?. Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ ES8 responds to SYSEX commands addressed to other keyboards
Next Topic:

USB Flash Problem ››