mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Loading .WAV files into MOXF"

Posted on: June 19, 2014 @ 09:18 AM
digitalperformer7
Total Posts:  253
Joined  12-07-2011

Assuming I had a MOXF with FL1024 installed, do I absolutely need Motif Wave Editor to load .WAV files into MOXF?

p.s. let’s exclude I can ask to a Motif XF owner to build up an appropriate file.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 19, 2014 @ 09:33 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

You could directly load .WAV files.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 19, 2014 @ 10:14 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Please understand, that what you can do is severely limited when held to the standards of what you can do loading the same .Wav into the sampler of a Motif XF… Or by preparing the sample with the Waveform Editor.

Waveforms are different from Samples… And this will point out the difference.

And this is critical to add to any answer to this question:

Yes, you can, but you cannot do any editing, trimming, formatting (mapping) of the .wav beyond what it already has happening. The MOXF has no working RAM where in the Motif XF (or Waveform Editor), you could edit the sample, map it across a range of keys, change play direction or setup to loop automatically, apply Equal Temperament or micro tuning, etc., etc., etc.

So therefore, you cannot build a multi-sampled normal instrument. You are restricted to audio clips or one shot, play forward, occurrences of that audio.

Example use case: audio stems or clips that are to be triggered and played back, as is.
Say you recorded a lead and several backing vocals to a Project in Cubase. You could create a stereo mix of those vocals and export them as 16-bit/44.1kHz .wav and import that to a MOXF Normal/Drum or Mix Voice.

As is, means you will not be able to alter much about the basic sample itself. If it loops when you install it, it will loop in the MOXF, if it is mapped to C3 that is where it will be triggered. You will be restricted to importing the sample to a single Key and that will play its original pitch.

As long as you don’t go into this thinking you can edit the sample (what the Motif XF’s and the Waveform Editor allow you to do) on the MOXF.
This will be one of the topics of an upcoming User Group Tutorials coming mid-July (please remind us)

Drum or sound effect hits (like one shots)
Linear audio or looped audio clips

While the definition of a Waveform is it is the parameters that collect and organize your Samples. The difference is clearly focused in this issue.

So to answer the question do you absolutely need the Waveform Editor or a friend with a Motif XF ... Well yes, if you want to do any more than import the .wav to a Key, as is, and trigger it. However, for some use cases this is enough. So its a thing where it depends on your goal.

Building a playable musical instrument? Yes you will need to edit the Waveforms.
Triggering playback as is? No, you can import a 16-bit/up to 44.1kHz mono or stereo .wav and trigger it by using it in a MOXF Voice… But it must be pretty much ready to play, as is.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 20, 2014 @ 02:09 AM
wunno
Total Posts:  7
Joined  06-14-2014

I was asking the same in a other forum (German one) and this is the answer I got, it worked fine on my moxf6:

- Save your current Data on a USB-Stick before you start (standard advise)

First you have to load the file in your Flash-Memory:
- Plug in your USB-Stick containing your .wav File
- Press [FILE] -> [F3]LOAD
- Choose “All”
- You should see now your .wav File on the right
- Press [>] and choose your .wav File with the data wheel
- Press [ENTER]
- Now you can choose a User Bank and a Key, where you want to assign your .wav File. Lets say you want it in USER: 360 KEY: C3

Now you have to initialize it:
- Choose a User-Voice you are not needing
- Initialize the voice with [JOB] ‘Initialize’ -> [Enter]
- [EDIT] -> confirm -> Element 1 is active (Buttons 1 - 9 are light up)
- Choose [F1] ‘OSC’
- Switch the WaveBank (top right corner in display) from ‘pre’ to ‘user’ (with data wheel or [YES/NO])
- Load your WAV Nb. 360 (as defined above) now your .wav should play on the key C3
- Press [STORE]

Not easy, but it worked for me!

Hope that helps

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 20, 2014 @ 05:28 AM
digitalperformer7
Total Posts:  253
Joined  12-07-2011

Bad_Mister

Thanks for your detailed reply.

My question was put to help a friend who needs to playback a .WAV file “as is”, but as you correctly pointed out, MWE is essential to map the sample and, mostly, the synth section is useful to edit the envelope as you gave an exceptional example on a Power user article “Drum Kit Loop Tutorial” I’m actually translating into Italian.

Thanks
dp7

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 23, 2014 @ 11:21 PM
amgems22
Total Posts:  14
Joined  03-04-2012

Have successfully loaded one WAV file from a USB into the flash drive to a single initialized VOICE User patch at the C3 position. (User #4)

Now I wish to load a second (different) WAV file to the next initialized Voice Patch (User #5)at the same keyboard position.

Have followed all the same steps as directed in instructions above.
However am only able to get that ‘plain piano’ sound when I play C 3, or any other note) on the initialized patch after loading the second WAV file

I’m able to delete the FIRST sound from my USB and then the SECOND (different) WAV file does load, but it goes to the the User #4 patch. (Even though I put in the new location of User #5).

So what’s happening is I’m able to load EITHER the first or the second, but not both and each goes to the same User Patch regardless of where I tell it to go.

What am I doing wrong?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 26, 2014 @ 07:52 PM
amgems22
Total Posts:  14
Joined  03-04-2012

I did figure out what I was doing wrong. I was treating the .wav file as a voice when it is really loaded as a Waveform.

Also see the MOXF Flash Memory Guide at
http://www.easysounds.eu/MOXF_FlashGuide_en.pdf

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 27, 2014 @ 09:59 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
amgems22 - 26 December 2014 07:52 PM

I did figure out what I was doing wrong. I was treating the .wav file as a voice when it is really loaded as a Waveform.

Originally covered in http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/474130/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 24, 2015 @ 04:56 PM
BobosCurse
Total Posts:  81
Joined  12-31-2013

I need a few one-shot samples for a song.
I followed the instructions in the Flash user guide (pretty simple).

I loaded the WAV files onto the flash, I initialized a voice and assigned elements 1-3 to my 3 WAV files.

But nothing plays...I can’t hear my samples.

I checked the obvious things first, like output level.

Anyone know what I’m missing?

Solved:  The keyboard was transposed down a half-step.  Doh!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 04, 2017 @ 04:25 PM
rocknout
Total Posts:  10
Joined  01-21-2015

Can you put the sample to playback from a different key?

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Connection SM58 to moxf6
Next Topic:

Anyone tried moxf with bose tonematch? ››